Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Just so you are all aware, historically, a lot of problems have occurred if you run things in the chroot first as root and then try to run them as user. Files get created with root permissions only, that the user cannot access. A symptom of this is that you can only run apps as root, not as user, or you get errors when you attempt to run as user.

Another source of problems can occur if you don't have all of the proper files copied into your /home/user/.local directory.

I am not in a position to test these scripts with Inception. I'm not sure what to do about this.
Hi qole,

In my case, using (LXDE of) Easy Debian with Inception (+opensh+aegisctl) is only possible with suxephwm.

I think a lot of doubts in the last pages here were due to the use of open mode kernel & Inception, which is not needed.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Another source of problems can occur if you don't have all of the proper files copied into your /home/user/.local directory.
Qole, take a look at :

- post 54 about "/etc/init/ssh.conf" problem (with my Nokia N9 with Inception), I don't know if other users have had the same problem;

- post 57 with a tutorial for Easy Debian with Inception, so could you put a link in the 1st post of this topic to it ?

- post 63 would be also a candidate to be linked in the 1st post of this topic;

- post 86, about (external) keyboard not working inside LXDE, full screen manual solution, etc. Does the N950 keboard work in LXDE ?
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
rcolistete: If you started a new thread about using these scripts with Inception, and posted your instructions in the first post, I promise to link to your thread from the first post of this thread.

I think that would be a much "cleaner" way to do this.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
As for keyboard problems, my N950 keyboard works, but I've done a "synchroot" to make sure the keyboard map inside the chroot matches the one in the main system.

As for keyboard problems, my N950 keyboard works, but I've done a "synchroot" to make sure the keyboard map inside the chroot matches the one in the main system.
Using a Stowaway Bluetooth keyboard on Nokia N9 with Btinput :
- after the synchroot all keys work except the arrows on LXDE;
- without synchroot, Fn, Alt, etc, don't work so many symbols and numbers are not available on LXDE.

So I prefer to use Easy Debian softwares outside LXDE, where Bluetooth keyboard woks well. For the most used softwares I have made some scripts to turn them full screen and created .desktop files with icons, so now it is easy to launch them from MeeGo Harmattan.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2012-04-07 at 03:18.

rcolistete: If you started a new thread about using these scripts with Inception, and posted your instructions in the first post, I promise to link to your thread from the first post of this thread.

I think that would be a much "cleaner" way to do this.
Ok, I will do it.

Do you have some plans to put more icons (and .desktop files) and package HarmChom for Nokia N9/N950 (with open mode kernel) ?

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Something I'm working on... seems that I still remember my way around input methods.

It's a X11 <-> MeeGo IM (aka the virtual keyboard).

That screenshot was taken with oowriter launched from inside the chroot but pointing to the real X11 display (not Xephyr).

It is not currently working with Xephyr, but I have a few ideas to try. The current one would be to launch it as a process _outside_ the chroot, but pointing to the Xephyr display _inside_ the chroot. I can then do some trickery to make the virtual keyboard use the Xephyr main window instead of trying to find all of the windows inside Xephyr (which, from the PoV of the virtual keyboard, they do not exist).
Still trying though

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:

Here's a first release: http://depot.javispedro.com/nit/harm..._1.0_armel.deb. xmim should be installed in Harmattan, not inside Easy Debian.

Currently it is very hard to set up, so not for the faint of heart. It can be scripted up if it proves to be something that is worthwhile for the average chroot user.

You need two terminals; one inside Easy Debian and the other outside of it. Best to use SSH otherwise you'll end up tired of window switching and something will probably crash in the middle :P

1. After booting Easy Debian, you will first need to get the window ID of the _Xephyr_ window. This can be done from the terminal that is outside of Easy Debian. Just run xwininfo and tap once on Xephyr. xwininfo will print something like:
Code:
xwininfo: Window id: 0x4200002 "Xephyr on :1 ( ... )"
Here, 0x4200002 is the window id.

2. Now you need to start xmim (I hope you installed the above .deb by now!). Run:
Code:
xmimd -d :1 -x 0x4200002 -v
Replace 0x4200002 with the xephyr window id you got in the above step.

A detailed explanation: -d means the X11 display to use. So we point it to the Xephyr one (":1").
"-x WIN" means "xephyr mode". It will assume that the virtual keyboard is running on a different X Server, and that on THAT other X Server the window id for the Xephyr window is WIN.
Failure to get this option right will cause the virtual keyboard to never popup or to pop up "in the background"!

3. Now get into the terminal inside the chroot. You have to set a few environment variables:
Code:
export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
export XMODIFIERS="@im=xmim"
4. You can now run any Easy Debian application from that terminal! For example, "oowriter".

As soon as you focus a text box, the virtual keyboard will popup! You can pop it down by "swiping it down", or by tapping outside the text field, as usual. If you unfocus the text box and focus it again the virtual keyboard will show again.

xmim should also print some stuff such as "XIM_OPEN", etc. Otherwise, communication between oowriter and xmim is broken.

There are also some added benefits for N950 users: sticky keys (Fn, Shift, etc) and the SYM key now work as they should, as well as long-pressing a key. The virtual keyboard will not pop up if the real keyboard is open.

Also, xmim can be used with forwarded _desktop_ X11 apps too! You just have to drop the -d and -x options to let it connect to the main X server in the N9/50.

Last edited by javispedro; 2012-04-12 at 00:24.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Hi Javis.
Perfect the tutorials. I need know:
1º Can do I the tutorial no using LXDE with chroot or I need user boot easy debian LXDE?
2º Is posible open debian icon no LXDE example oowriter and using with the keyboard virtal?
Thank very much and cool work.

Last edited by RafaelVlmendes; 2012-04-12 at 08:27.

Originally Posted by RafaelVlmendes View Post
Hi Javis.
Perfect the tutorials. I need know:
1º Can do I the tutorial no using LXDE with chroot or I need user boot easy debian LXDE?
You can't "do the tutorial" then, but I assume that if you know how to launch your own chroot and Xephyr then you will be able to adapt the tutorial to your setup!

Originally Posted by RafaelVlmendes View Post
2º Is posible open debian icon no LXDE example oowriter and using with the keyboard virtal?
Thank very much and cool work.
As I said it can be scripted up certainly if it proves to be worthwhile. I even remember seeing a script here in the past that returned the Xephyr window id.

Currently though, I am looking for feedback and criticism more than anything else.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:

Tags
chroot, debian, harmattan