Is it possible to boot and install Windows or other OS for PC from nokia N9 or N900 ?

From my point of view it should be possible as long as N9 and N900 could be recognized as mass storage just like a memory stick .

Now I am trying to make a microSD card bootable so I can try installing os from my N900 .

Sorry if it's a stupid idea , but for me would be very useful .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dragoss91 For This Useful Post:
I'm interested in this possibility too! It could be useful to have a working linux bootable OS to enter someone's cracked pc (I'm thinking of a Puppylinux like OS).

Posts: 203 | Thanked: 538 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by Dragoss91 View Post
Is it possible to boot and install Windows or other OS for PC from nokia N9 or N900 ?

From my point of view it should be possible as long as N9 and N900 could be recognized as mass storage just like a memory stick .

Now I am trying to make a microSD card bootable so I can try installing os from my N900 .

Sorry if it's a stupid idea , but for me would be very useful .
It is possible on the N900 at least, I installed windows 7 on a netbook from the microSD card using it as mass storage.

The Following User Says Thank You to munozferna For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Poland
I think he meant having an OS already installed on a device and run it on a PC like a linux livecd.
Edit. Nope, I was wrong

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
I Used unetbootin to stick MEX distro
http://mex.exton.net/ on my N9 (it's just ubuntu 12.10 with all 7 seven desktops to choose from).
Go into your windows boot menu and stick the USB drive as first priority to boot from. You can try and use Mex from your N9 without installing it. You will have to go into the boot menu of whatever windows PC you are using and change the boot priority to USB and go into settings on your N9 under accessories usb and choose mass storage as the permanent choice or "always ask" as the permanent choice and pick mass storage when you plug your phone into a computer.

The problem is after a while I got sick of accidentally plugging my phone in before starting my PC and then it will start the "live" version of MEX off of my N9 instead of the installed version existing on my PC already because I erased Windows off my computer and installed Mex distro permanently on my PC.
And then when I went to erase all the Mex stuff off of my N9 I think I must have erased something I was not supposed to because I can no longer find any files I download from my N9 browsers.

When you use the MEX distro off of the N9 it will give you the choice if you want to permanently install it. If you choose yes it will install from the N9 but then it will connect to the internet and try to update.

You might be able to also get a fake windows XP that boots from your N9 by downloading one of the old mojopacs even though they are no longer in business.

Last edited by aironeous; 2012-11-21 at 01:41.

Originally Posted by Dragoss91 View Post
Yes, just like from any other USB mass storage device.

But that's easy and boring ;-) For extra credit, write a GUI that lets you select any .iso image from the filesystem and then (re)loads g_file_storage with it in cdrom emulation mode.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
you already can install Debian.

The Easy Debian Version can run Debian apps on the N9 and N900.

ttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85878&highlight=easy+debian

Originally Posted by lma View Post
Yes, just like from any other USB mass storage device.

But that's easy and boring ;-) For extra credit, write a GUI that lets you select any .iso image from the filesystem and then (re)loads g_file_storage with it in cdrom emulation mode.
Well your idea is even better than what I asked for . I would certainly make something but I am not coder .

For extra double credit make it so after it boots the livecd from the n900 it loads g_nokia and starts usb networking and mounting my docs on the livecd /home/user. This would allow using the n900 as a DUN modem.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
I already had installed winxp for USB boot on my ex N97mini, and it did work fine for sometime, but i sold it away...actually that was modified FW one of the best in the world of that model phone.