Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Dave: Here's a thread to discuss my belief that the community mailing list should be supplanted by the Community forum here at t.m.o.:

Move maemo-community mailing list activity to this forum

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I was thinking by now that on other forums I have seen another mechanism to make the best contributors stand, i.e. reputation (reps). Every member has a limited number of reputation points that he/she can attribute to another member. Rep points decrease when used and only after a certain number of days (and/or posts) they are refilled. In a nutshell, it's like the thanks button, but you have to think twice before hitting

Such a mechanism could help discriminate in a better way the contribitors more appreciated by the community.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
i think there is no perfect solution but people who are usefull and do something other then create headaches with misinformation and trolling etc should get the credit they deserve.

The Following User Says Thank You to smegheadz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
First I don't meant to put labels in people, all contributions are very welcome and should be reward according, there's a lot of 'doers' here at talk.

People complaining about the karma generate by the TMO posts don't forget that we're getting karma from two sources(posts and thanks), but yes, the karma from ML posts is overrated IMO.

What I'm looking here is suggestions to fine tune the metrics that I proposed, and if you guys consider them fair, please move the discussions about the usefulness of the karma system to other threads .

Those that disagree with the proposed metrics for apps karma, please make a alternative proposal, same for the other areas.

Last edited by VDVsx; 2010-01-22 at 22:44. Reason: typo

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
First I don't meant to put labels in people, all contributions are very welcome and should be reward according, there's a lot of 'doers' here at talk.

People complain about the karma generate by the TMO post don't forget that we're getting karma from two sources(posts and thanks), but yes, the karma from ML posts is overrated IMO.

What I'm looking here is suggestions to fine tune the metrics that I proposed, and if you guys consider them fair, please move the discussions about the usefulness of the karma system to other threads .

Those that disagree with the proposed metrics for apps karma, please make a alternative proposal, same for the other areas.
So your council members have asked for input on the topic at hand. What did you think about the proposed changes? Do you agree with them, do you have questions, do you have other ideas about the karma calculations? I have seen really no constructive thoughts about the proposed changes.

Please be clear, this is a sprint task that is going to move forward. I am sure VDVsx is ready to go. If you have any thoughts about the Karma calculations, please bring them forth now.

Again not how karma is used, how karma is calculated.

My point was we should try to make things as equal as possible, (but its not a perfect world) I understand the requested changes, but I am concerned about tipping the scales in another direction instead of achieving balance.

Speak up now if you got something to say.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2010-01-18 at 22:01.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
My comments:

- No "gold posts" on tmo. The "thanks" karma is good enough.
- More karma for wiki edits (not sure what the current metric is, but it needs a bit more per edit, maybe 10%-25% more?)
- Implement this ASAP!

EDIT: Dave Neary has made a good proposal on the mailing list for wiki edits:

Originally Posted by dneary
Looking at the top wiki contributors, the top editors have between 400
and 2000 edits, giving between ~50 to ~90 karma with 2*sqrt(E).

Seems like boosting that to ~150 to ~270 as the range would be good - so
changing 2*sqrt(E) to 6*sqrt(E) sounds good to me.

Last edited by qole; 2010-01-18 at 22:33.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
My comments:

- No "gold posts" on tmo. The "thanks" karma is good enough.
- More karma for wiki edits (not sure what the current metric is, but it needs a bit more per edit, maybe 10%-25% more?)
- Implement this ASAP!

EDIT: Dave Neary has made a good proposal on the mailing list for wiki edits:
Agreed re the wiki. And Uwe's suggestion on the list to make the karma calc dependent on time (count only 1 of the edits per page per day) is good too. Combine an increase in value per incident with that and I think we're good.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Agreed re the wiki.
Ditto.

And Uwe's suggestion on the list to make the karma calc dependent on time (count only 1 of the edits per page per day) is good too. Combine an increase in value per incident with that and I think we're good.
The problem with anything like this is that it'd require a ground-up reimplementation of karma. Personally, I think karma should have a half-life and the contributions people made back in 2005 are less valuable today than the contributions they're making now.

However, that is a much bigger task than simply adjusting the current factors and equations based on the existing variables :-(

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Hmmm. Just thinking that shaking things up in the karma area may cause me to contribute in different areas more often. As it stands, I have had a couple of lucrative blog posts that 'paid out' significant amounts of karma. All good...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Agreed re the wiki. And Uwe's suggestion on the list to make the karma calc dependent on time (count only 1 of the edits per page per day) is good too. Combine an increase in value per incident with that and I think we're good.
So, if I spend 3 or 4 hours putting a half-dozen pages together in one day I'll get less karma than if I spread that out over a week or two? As someone who works intense bursts like that, I'm not sure I like this idea.

Really, we want karma to encourage more numerous, but smaller, edits. It makes tracking changes on a page much easier and it makes rolling back individual changes easier. Singular, massive edits are not the preferred way to edit a wiki.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2010-01-19 at 00:15.