Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
dunno, i kinda got a sweet spot for these devices that have their os on a removable media. If the hardware breaks, pop the card out and put it into something else. Mess up the software, and you can use a second computer to potentially clean up. And if storage breaks, from wear or abuse, its replaceable. If the internal storage on a N900 breaks, you got nowhere to go...

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Looks like they'll have full support for Android and Chrome in February. Could be interesting. Especially if they put the Chrome browser, or Firefox, on Android. But, still no PixelQi display.

Their web site now announces Maemo as "coming", too !

Does this mean they have a license from Nokia ?...

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
"Please note that due to our current backlog, new orders won't be shipped immediately. Ordering today will ensure you a better place in the queue list, but expect your order to be shipped within two months."

Seems they have a bit of a backlog. Though I'm not sure if they're implement hardware upgrades in subsequent batches, or just doing small orders, or hand assembling them.

That (actual licensed Maemo) would be VERY interesting. But probably wouldn't change my plans, at this point. If the Touchbook fixed its construction issues (the complaints about it being too flexy), more RAM, more battery (without the keyboard, it's only expected to get 5 hrs of life), and had a pixelqi display ... that might be different. But, as it is, I don't see it successfully distracting me from the Notion Ink Adam.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
Even if the build quality on the Touchbook was improved, the NI Adam is running on a A9 based processor, in addition to having the Pixel Qi screen. Having said that, the resolution is the same (1024x600), but the Adam has a larger screen, i.e. lower ppi. In the one sense I do prefer the AI approach of having multiple internal USB dongles, which should, in theory at least, allow me to choose which 3G data provider I want to use, and perhaps even have more than one in use at once, but we'll see what the hardware on the Adam actually looks like once it's in final form. The prototype they're were showing at CES was pretty significantly different from the renders they had floated.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
I have followed the Touchbook closely since their first announcement. Unlike other, much more recent offerings, it looks very innovative with its detachable keyboard, internal USB ports, removable memory, even the magnets on the back... Unfortunately, while AI was the first company to release a device of this type, they are small and have been plagued by lack of timely announcements, very unprofessional presentations, and the constant "facing a significant backlog". The latter is one reason I never ordered it (the other two reasons are: they pulled back the promised Skype port, and their customer support replied extremely vaguely to very specific direct questions that I had asked them)... Anyway, if AI had a more efficient production line and a more aggressive campaign, I am sure they'd have been mentioned quite often in connection to recent events...

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Their web site now announces Maemo as "coming", too !

Does this mean they have a license from Nokia ?...
No they just don't know what they are talking about

They might mean that fake Maemo that someone created from Mer (there's a MID that's advertising that they have Maemo, and it looks like something post Diablo, but not like what's on the N900).

I took an avid interest in these machines about 8-10 months ago when first announced.

Unfortunately I think they have left it too late; give it 3 months and there will be other smart books out (Lenovo), With android and their marketing clout / better distribution / better implementation / better hardware, I don't think this touch book is in with much of a chance unfortunately

Tags
baby's arm, holding an apple