Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Thanks everywhere: nice idea but depending how requires a lot of work for implementation (e.g. Thanks button under Bugzilla comments). If you are talking about thanks button directly under user profile then it's simpler (stil: can thank a user more than once? etc).

Convertible karma: is it me the only one thinking that the last we need in our community is more mercantilism? If karma is useful to get the right to own a shirt then I don't want karma at all. Sounds like accumulating flight miles for some fidelity program!

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Convertible karma: is it me the only one thinking that the last we need in our community is more mercantilism? If karma is useful to get the right to own a shirt then I don't want karma at all. Sounds like accumulating flight miles for some fidelity program!
Indeed, my intention with the swag program was to allow leaders within those sectors to highlight particularly useful contributors.

Thanks everywhere: nice idea but depending how requires a lot of work for implementation (e.g. Thanks button under Bugzilla comments). If you are talking about thanks button directly under user profile then it's simpler (stil: can thank a user more than once? etc).
Part of the thanks system is it to be visible and specific. So that the user can directly see which action (post/comment/edit) was useful and for how many people. A thank button in the profile makes sense if you're just feeling generous to that person, or if he helped you in a bar or something like that mentioned above.

I also think that the appreciation for ones work is a reward enough. It not only promotes the right behaviour but also the right people.

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France

My favourite idea so far is to just drop general karma, and give 1 point per everything, and allow people to see a ranking of the people with the most thanks, the most bugzilla reports & comments, the most wikipedia edits, git commits, whatever. Just absolute ranking per-activity, with (eventually) a position among the Maemo community (20th) for each item. That way people who think Talk is important will concentrate more on Talk ranks, and people who think owning projects is more important will concentrate on that ranking.

Dave.

The Following User Says Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dneary View Post
My favourite idea so far is to just drop general karma, and give 1 point per everything, and allow people to see a ranking of the people with the most thanks, the most bugzilla reports & comments, the most wikipedia edits, git commits, whatever. Just absolute ranking per-activity, with (eventually) a position among the Maemo community (20th) for each item. That way people who think Talk is important will concentrate more on Talk ranks, and people who think owning projects is more important will concentrate on that ranking.

Dave.
But those raw stats and rankings aren't meaningful.

You for example have 170 Posts but have been Thanked 351 times for them.
I have 393 Posts and have been Thanked 214 times for them.
Obviously you've been more helpful to the community than me.
If we only look at post count, it'll promote more spam than useful behaviour.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ColdFusion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA

That's about it.

The difference is where the member is coming from...
A user/community member vs. a user/developer. If it is the former then karma is just that... a frequent flyer program and is a function of sales.
If it is the later than karma is a tool that can be used to determine the relative value of contributions and is a function of R & D.
As I posted in yet another karma thread, perhaps it is time to seperate the two... karma and Meearma???

SLN member # 009

A user/community member can have valuable contributions as well.

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
A user/community member can have valuable contributions as well.
Exactly. Which is why the current karma works as it does, to enable finding out and crediting valuable contributors who do other things than write code.

To be successful a project needs a lot more than just hackers and bug reporters (though obviously without those two the project wouldn't exist in the first place)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
But those raw stats and rankings aren't meaningful.

You for example have 170 Posts but have been Thanked 351 times for them.
I have 393 Posts and have been Thanked 214 times for them.
Obviously you've been more helpful to the community than me.
If we only look at post count, it'll promote more spam than useful behaviour.
Objviously, Thanks count is the more desirable measure

Dave.

Originally Posted by dneary View Post
Objviously, Thanks count is the more desirable measure

Dave.
And I'm just arguing that the same will be more appropriate than raw bug comments, wiki edits, etc...