With my N900 slowly fading, being a headphone killer it has killed 3 of my headphones. The latest casualty is the Nokia BH 905. I am searching for a new powerful device that is future proof for atleast 3-4 years. I am always a big screen fan and I always use my smartphone for daily purposes like

1) GPS
2) Internet
3) Music
4) Taking immediate notes and
5) Sometimes watching videos

Should I throw my money on Galaxy Note-2 that will be released sometime by the end of September? I don't like the look of Galaxy S3.

I usually prefer WP8 over Android devices. But time is running short, don't know how much more time next generation Lumias (920 and 820) will be available in market. If these devices take 2-3 months, I can't wait that long.

So what is your openion on GS Note-2?

The Following User Says Thank You to maverick788us For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
Originally Posted by maverick788us View Post
With my N900 slowly fading, being a headphone killer it has killed 3 of my headphones. The latest casualty is the Nokia BH 905. I am searching for a new powerful device that is future proof for atleast 3-4 years. I am always a big screen fan and I always use my smartphone for daily purposes like

1) GPS
2) Internet
3) Music
4) Taking immediate notes and
5) Sometimes watching videos

Should I throw my money on Galaxy Note-2 that will be released sometime by the end of September? I don't like the look of Galaxy S3.

I usually prefer WP8 over Android devices. But time is running short, don't know how much more time next generation Lumias (920 and 820) will be available in market. If these devices take 2-3 months, I can't wait that long.

So what is your openion on GS Note-2?
You will regret buying a Note.

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

definitely......may be!

Nokia 3310 -> Nokia 6030 -> Nokia N95 -> Nokia X6 -> Nokia N900 -> Nokia N9 -> Nokia Lumia 1520

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
show your palm and i'll read the future

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
I picked up a pre-owned Galaxy Note last month. Running CM10 Paranoid Android on it with the homebrew GNote apk, Memo for S-Pen and Freenote, and I love it to bits. Gives me the same "oooh nice!" sensation I had with my old SE P900 and Nokia E90

Cannot see any reason to lash out on a GN-2 while there are cheap GN's out there to be had.

Superb camera that sparks up instantly, and 1080p video recording that doesn't miss a beat. Video playback of anything you chuck at it (e.g. streaming DVB-S over WLAN using TVHeadEnd and the TVHGuide APK ; a dedicated TVH client) or indeed XBMC native on the phone. It's really a fantastic piece of kit.

Battery life is very decent too, although it suffers in the same way the N900 suffers in the fact that it is so good that it encourages you to spend more time on it, hence battery drains quicker

Last edited by gregoranderson; 2012-09-03 at 11:33.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gregoranderson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Nope. Played around with a Note a few weeks ago, and it was really nice to use, assuming you had somewhere to put it in.

It's definitely awkward to use Phone-mode Android on it though, and Paranoid Android just doesn't cut it for me. It's simply too awkward. Ubuntu Unity native on it would rock the socks off everything else.

The NOTE 2 is a slightly upgraded NOTE.

-Slightly better OS
-Slightly faster SoC (32nm, Quadcore, 2GB RAM)
-Slightly more polished (fatter S PEN, new S-Features, microSD above battery, Notifications light, slightly better camera, better screen).
All-in-all, its not a device worthy to upgrade from the NOTE 1.

If you don't have a NOTE 1, by all means go for it.
Android will be very clunky at first (coming from Maemo), but its got full of features and is getting better and better.

The Google ecosystem is also great. The only thing you can regret is price, availability and software upgrades (more than Nokia's support though). You can also chroot Ubuntu and get a fairly featured experience.

The next Android Kernel, version 3.4, will be joining the Mainline Linux kernel.
And there is an effort to port Qt-framework into Android OS. Soon you can dualboot into a (castrated) distro on the same stock kernel, or simply do Terminal and C++ processing from within. So despite the short comings, Android is the future. Sorry MeeGo, Mer, Tizen, Jolla won't be.

PS If you buy a Lumia device, even with WP8, you will regret it deeply. Its a "boxy iOS" with no relation to Maemo or N900, whereas there's some overlap with Android devices.

I'm flattered

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by AMD View Post
You will regret buying a Note.
Why can you elucidate?

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
show your palm and i'll read the future
I am 6'1 so my palm is big enough. For me single handed operation isn't important

Posts: 426 | Thanked: 374 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Middle East
A "mobile phone" is supposed to be portable and very easy to use anywhere. The Note, while it has all the good features you'd want, doesn't exactly fit that category. You can't keep it in your pocket and not be bothered by it. Also, it's very awkward to receive calls on it.

Having said that, if you are someone who can carry it in a leather case around in your hand, then it's alright. Also, since you're carrying it around like a tablet, you can use headphones to make your calls. So it's not much of an issue.

It's all a matter of personal choice, really.. I'd say use it for a while.. try out every scenario you'd use it in.. make quick phone calls, pretend to urgently look up something or take notes.. send messages, etc.. then you'll know if you want to buy it.

The videos never do any device any justice. Other people's opinion matter, but only to an extent.. since you're the one who'll own the device, go ahead and actually use it first.. maybe you'll love it or maybe not.

Good luck!

Portfolio: AKstudios : : graphics with attitude.
Flickr: AKstudios
Twitter: @flopjoke