Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by darethehair View Post
ThatN800Guy:

Glad you are interested. Let me know if you try it. Just realize that it is not a 'productivity' application. Also using it will probably make you appear nerdy and/or geeky
And that's a bad thing?

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Manitoba, Canada
I guess it depends...if one already has a girlfriend or is seeking to attract one

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Vancouver, BC
How far away from the baseship does it work? Does the WiMax N810 have better range?

stangri:

Well, according to the official specs, the TR580 Tricorder VII 'communication range is limited to 40,000 km intership, similar to the standard communicator badge'. However, since my device is built with 21st technology substitutes, the range will be somewhat less than that. I doubt that the WiMax N810 would make any difference either -- but if you have one, why not give it a try? However, unless some time anomaly occurs, we are not expecting any Federation starships in our vicinity for quite a few more years...

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by darethehair View Post
However, unless some time anomaly occurs, we are not expecting any Federation starships in our vicinity for quite a few more years...
Given the number of times that current-day was visited in all the series & movies, there's bound to be one around at any time you care to try .
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
My only gripes are the black outlines around the buttons. They don't exist on the "real" device. And that you used a "Trek" font from the show title but the font on the device seems to be a somewhat generic sans serif font.
Attached Images

killdeer:

Well, thanks for your comments about my tricorder simulation

1) I know longer recall why I added a black outline around the buttons -- but what I *do* remember was the difficulty of finding *consistent* images of the tricorders to base it on -- including the various shades-of-grey that were used for the surface color.

2) Hmmm, I do *not* recall using any special 'Star Trek' font for my simulator at all, so I am not sure why you think I did. I used 'Inkscape' and its ability to stretch fonts till I got a very close match to the diagram in the 'Star Trek: Next Generation Technical Manual'.

Other than those minor details, I nevertheless hope that you (and others) enjoy the simulation, which I used as an excuse for learning PyGame (python), and to make the most 'realistic' simulator (open source or otherwise) that I could -- given my limited skill set at the time

Awesomep post, thanks!

Originally Posted by Gabyrpg View Post
Awesomep post, thanks!
Let us know what you actually think of the simulator, if you get a chance to try it! Like I said, it was the very first one that I wrote, and there really isn't a lot of need or interest to develop it further, but there isn't very much competition out there to compare to

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
what a great product; the only problem was I used it when wearing a red shirt, black trousers and black boots and within seconds someone started shooting at me!

The Following User Says Thank You to speculatrix For This Useful Post: