It looks like Nokia/MS have already started developing SW for Nokia phones, what's the betting that Elope going to announce an even bigger tie up of some kind on Friday?

http://www.linkedin.com/jobs?viewJob...*2_*2_*2_*2_*2

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to droitwichgas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Exchange 'Apple' for 'NOKIA' and 'iOS' for 'Symbian', and your comment still works.
You thought of this as soon as I mentioned the "sh***" trigger word, didn't you?

Btw, in regards to Elop driving(?) Nokia:

I don't think having worked in MS automatically made him a borg that becomes Ballmer's dancing puppet, remote controlled from afar.

But if Elop left MS amicably, chances are he'd have many friends and contacts in Microsoft.... Most of which are EAGER to find new WP7 partner, either due to their religious believes or because of ridiculously generous incentives.

So they'd be hounding Elop 24/7 with offers to sneak WP7 to Nokia's camp somehow. Through negotiation (and desperation), it's likely that Microsoft 'lowers their offer price' enough to make it very very favorable for Nokia to take the bait.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Unless the experience is inferior or somehow limited, google (and allies) will not let it happen.

I think for a VAST majority of Nokia customers, it's the brand that matters. They buy NOKIAs. They don't look for 'Symbian' handsets, and most of them have probably not heard of Symbian before.

So if Nokia takes up MS' offer (and I'm sure there IS one on the table right now), they can just sell them as Nokia smartphones (Now powered by WP7!) and the Nokia sheeps (yeah) will buy it.
I sort of agree. Roughly speaking for the Nordic countries for most people, phones today are iPhones, Androids and Nokia, and Android = Sony Ericsson. iPhones are popular and they are good, but most people who get an iPhone don't do it because it is a smartphone, they couldn't care less. The same goes for Android. Both are smooth and cool, both got apps and that is what counts. The only "real" smartphone left is Nokia, and today that is the E-series. But on overall Nokia is Nokia no matter if it is S40, Symbian^1 or ^3 or S60, a bit clunky as Nokia always has been compared with SE, but built to last and with unsurpassed sound and reception quality.

Stacking WP7 in there will unquestionably be positive. I don't know about the american market, but WP7 in a Nokia anywhere else will be a smash hit. Geeks will love to hate it (but secretly they'd think it's OK), and the average user of high end phones will love it. But I don't see it happening. The N8 is already a smash hit with Symbian, and Symbian^3 is getting better each day, and the same goes for Ovi. Nokia is apparently hiring loads of people to work on MeeGo, and MeeGo (of it turns out only slightly better than Maemo) will also be a smash hit for sure.

The more I think about it the less I understand what Elop is talking about. Catalyzing and joining ecosystems, and Nokia needs to change faster. Nokia needs to continue with Ovi, Symbian, MeeGo and Qt, and they need to execute faster and better. Maybe the whole thing here is that Elop has lost it, or he has never gotten it in the first place. This seems more likely than anything else at the moment.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
The more I think about it the less I understand what Elop is talking about. Catalyzing and joining ecosystems, and Nokia needs to change faster. Nokia needs to continue with Ovi, Symbian, MeeGo and Qt, and they need to execute faster and better. Maybe the whole thing here is that Elop has lost it, or he has never gotten it in the first place. This seems more likely than anything else at the moment.
Maemo wasn't exactly heavily marketed by Nokia, and they haven't yet released a Meego phone, so arguably a Meego phone (or maybe two) will mark a change for Nokia particularly if they heavily market it as their flagship device. And "catalysing and joining ecosystems" could be executive speak for pushing Qt and making cross-platform (Symbian + Meego) development easy.

One needs to examine what an eco system is before we decide if Elop is on or off target. One thing is for sure its NOT the operating system. Deal with an eco system partner will likley include horse trading in the following areas (with my personal thoughts)

-Dev Platform : Qt Quick with its cross platform capability v strong
-Music : CMW coverage reduced, Ovi music looking good, but could trade with Amazon or Zune?
-Videos : Nokia just bought Voggler
-Maps : Navteq is on a roll here
-Social : Need to do a deal with Facebook, who dislike Google
-mail/Chat : Facebook or MS$ could be good options, Yahoo relationship will be parked.
-Share : OVI just shut this down, so in need of a deal
-Contacs/Calendar/PIM : MS$ Deal?
-Office : Deal Already done with MS$
-Apps : OVI making strong headway, and is ahead of Android in languages, and reach. Apps growing nicely so no need to change course, other than to push harder on Qt.
-Operators : Need to sort out US. Where is the Qualcomm deal done 12 months ago?
-Retail : Amazon for content?

Have I forgotten something ?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
Maemo wasn't exactly heavily marketed by Nokia, and they haven't yet released a Meego phone, so arguably a Meego phone (or maybe two) will mark a change for Nokia particularly if they heavily market it as their flagship device. And "catalysing and joining ecosystems" could be executive speak for pushing Qt and making cross-platform (Symbian + Meego) development easy.
Yes, but this isn't exactly cutting news. Maybe for Elop? But it makes sense that it is these kind of things he really is talking about.

Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
It looks like Nokia/MS have already started developing SW for Nokia phones, what's the betting that Elope going to announce an even bigger tie up of some kind on Friday?

http://www.linkedin.com/jobs?viewJob...*2_*2_*2_*2_*2
not exactly new news:

http://www.symbian-freak.com/news/01...martphones.htm

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Yes, but this isn't exactly cutting news. Maybe for Elop? But it makes sense that it is these kind of things he really is talking about.
Certainly not news for us, but isn't that the name of the game with marketing, making something seem more than it is to have the biggest impact. I'm definitely going with the it makes sense angle rather than it has to be something new and different, because if you look at the wording used by Elop, it is merely a suggestion of something new, but certainly leaves room (at least in my mind) that it is just a spin on their current plans.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Microsoft isn't known for throwing their own struggling products aside to jump on the opportunity to ride competitors' coattails. To do that would leave them vulnerable to the whims of others. Instead, they use their size to let them ride out failure while they rebuild their product into something that lets them control the market top to bottom.
MS has (and have used) various methods in dealing with competition:
  • Pretend to partner with competitor then stab them in the back after screwing them over
  • Steal the ideas/code/whatever
  • Buy out the competitor and mothball the superior products

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
MS has (and have used) various methods in dealing with competition...
Yes, I simplified. My point was that The Microsoft Way never seems to include:
  • Take your currently weak product, the one that is your only hope to take control of the market, and scrap it. Then, as a replacement, tie your future to the product of a competitor who has a history of betraying everyone who deals with them.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org