Active Topics

So, what did I miss?

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

what time is the revel uk time (bst) .. should i stay up or sleep .. and annoy Engadget in the morning

Posts: 417 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ At your mom's house, with my feet up!
Originally Posted by Diavoli View Post
Hmmm all this talk and anticipation is making me want to grab this baby, even before I've seen it performing. You know people made (and still make) fun of my n900 for various reasons, but it does the job I like it to do so its fine for me, never regret driving to New York on November 27th, 2009 for the release of it at the Nokia store on 5th Ave (which has closed down now).
my two cents.
I remember that New York release date day like it was yesterday. And the how totally amazed at how awesome the n900 was...

The Following User Says Thank You to optimistprime For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
The first time I came here was to see if there was a mobile hotspot app for the then all-new N900 device because I wanted to replace my 5800 which was serving among other things as a wireless router. I found a bunch of illegible shell scripts there and some talk about iptables and Linux kernels (I hadn't used Linux for more than 15 minutes by then) and I decided that I'm gonna get it and make it work. I saved the script and left. Now more than a year and a half later I use Ubuntu on both my laptop and desktop, I am administering a Linux webserver and have coded a little bit QT. That is what I expect from the new device. To engage me like the N900 did.
That is a disruptive device. My overly priced VAIO now boasts ubuntu, so does my Lenova and soon my desktop. All as a result of the N900 showing the possibilities that lay in a community provided OS with excellent support.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
Me too. I feel the euphoria around this release is blinding a lot of people who fell in love with the N900 for its sweet hkb goodness (or am i wrong?).
qole was (is) an N800 man. He had no interest in mobile phones and wouldn't consider purchasing the N810 with its foolish addition of a hardware keyboard and even more foolish removal of dual, full-sized SDHC slots.

Now he's eagerly awaiting news of a phone rumored to have no memory card slots at all. And he's lamenting the impending loss of a hardware keyboard.

Nokia has turned his world upside down and threatened to run off leaving him hanging there.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2011-06-21 at 00:19. Reason: typo correction

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
Things i'm hoping to see are some improvements in app managment, needs to be more user friendly for browsing extra's and testing etc.
i'm interested in the tactile feedback as it's something that is missing in touch interface on an everyday device.
mms for pics, vids, audio? out of box or community? email was a let down on n900 so i'm looking to see if it's been improved.
i accept that this may be just a high end testing the water device to see which things should get the trickle down to wp7 and s40 devices and which were a bad idea.

Who said it'll feature haptikos? I wouldn't put my bets on that.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
And I really really love the look on other peoples faces when they want to take a look and they go, "oh! There's a terminal open there!"

Posts: 446 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Lake District, Cumbria, UK
960x540 resolution?

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Not very meaningful. What's the concrete criteria of "limited number with skills". Having a Qt dev certificate, writing Linux drivers, or what?
Your thinking too deep. Your not a developer, nor am I. Your not getting a Dali. If you do great. You know something phone related that made Nokia decide to send/sale you a phone. The rest of the world ,99.9% of the users getting whatever os shipped will be using the consumer device. That simple.

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland