Active Topics

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
It seems quite unrealistic that the three major operators in Australia, plus operators in Norway, Sweden, China etc. would take on the N9 if Nokia were only producing 92,000 units.

I just can't see the operators wasting their time (and marketing budgets and retail space) on the N9 if this production number is true, so I highly doubt it is.

Eldar has been throwing this number around since the N950 got canned, and in terms of the N950 it's a much more believable tale.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
It seems quite unrealistic that the three major operators in Australia, plus operators in Norway, Sweden, China etc. would take on the N9 if Nokia were only producing 92,000 units.

I just can't see the operators wasting their time (and marketing budgets and retail space) on the N9 if this production number is true, so I highly doubt it is.

Eldar has been throwing this number around since the N950 got canned, and in terms of the N950 it's a much more believable tale.
Yes, especially if talking about China. That number would be only for the first batch to Shanghai

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Bernard what is your opinion of the future of meego and the N9 especially concerning Nokia and the support it may or may not get.
For me the support that Nokia provided in the past was fine for the products I own/owned (all the Maemo devices and a number of Symbian phones). In my opinion, better than the support Samsung or HTC provide.
I trust that Nokia will support the N9 in a similar way, so that will be fine for me also. When I buy the device, I will do so for what it can do at that moment in time, and not for any future promised updates.
When it is released, I will probably buy it if it isn't too buggy, the basic applications aren't too dumbed down, and the device isn't too expensive.
Otherwise I will wait a bit longer, as my N900 devices work fine, and I don't "need" a new device. Prices will come down, alternative applications will get released, and bugs will be fixed.
In the end I think I will end-up with a N9, as I don't feel other devices will provide the features I want.

I think the N9 will be similarly supported as the N900, and I think the N9 will be the only MeeGo device that a relatively large group of people will use. I don't believe the MeeGo builds on the MeeGo website will ever be used on any large scale, simply because I don't think it will ever get finished to an end-user state, by anyone.

So far for my two cents
I have been known to be wrong in the past (on many occasions actually).

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
When I buy the device, I will do so for what it can do at that moment in time, and not for any future promised updates.
In the end I think I will end-up with a N9, as I don't feel other devices will provide the features I want.
+1

very much my thoughts.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
The thing i don't get about these trolls here is that i just don't get what are you guys fighting against?

Most in this thread want N9. There's always people who see the value one some product.
I'm sure people posting here know a lot more about the options available than the normal guy from the street. If you really think it's worth to use 3-4hrs a day in forum about product that you think is threatening humanity you might wanna try some non N9/MeeGo/Maemo forums.

Well feeding these trolls have gone long enough anyways. Time to use that ignore button for once.

Last edited by tissot; 2011-09-20 at 13:55.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
For me the support that Nokia provided in the past was fine for the products I own/owned (all the Maemo devices and a number of Symbian phones). In my opinion, better than the support Samsung or HTC provide.
I trust that Nokia will support the N9 in a similar way, so that will be fine for me also. When I buy the device, I will do so for what it can do at that moment in time, and not for any future promised updates.
When it is released, I will probably buy it if it isn't too buggy, the basic applications aren't too dumbed down, and the device isn't too expensive.
Otherwise I will wait a bit longer, as my N900 devices work fine, and I don't "need" a new device. Prices will come down, alternative applications will get released, and bugs will be fixed.

I think the N9 will be similarly supported as the N900, and I think the N9 will be the only MeeGo device that a relatively large group of people will use. I don't believe the MeeGo builds on the MeeGo website will ever be used on any large scale, simply because I don't think it will ever get finished to an end-user state, by anyone.

So far for my two cents
I have been known to be wrong in the past (on many occasions actually).
Hmmmm as much as i want to believe you i can not for the simple reason Elop is in charge now but i totally agree with you on the waiting bit because there is no way i will buy the N9 personally for myself.

I actually think Maemo could have been a lot lot better than it was finally left and a great shame on Nokia for not even getting close to a finishing point but that is Nokia for you.

I same as you will just sit back and wait, watch and see where it goes.

Thankyou for your honest opinions, greatly appreciated.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Your proving all the reports that said this in the beggining but people just did not take any notice because of blinded vision.

NOW reality is starting to show its ugly face on this thread !.
Man you're so clueless, it's so painful to watch you in action.
[I'm sorry, but the cold harsh truth must be told]
We've known for ages France won't be getting it directly, this is just the final "official" confirmation.
Where's your reading comprehension.....

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-20 at 15:18.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
This 92 units rumour is to get attention. What will Eldar do once Nokia is no more/joins Microsoft?

Has anyone completed a hardware comparison between N9 and Searay? or done a feasibility study of putting Harmattan on Searay? (who wouldnt want a physical camera button?).

The Following User Says Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 249 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ International
Anyone been reading qgils remarks over at meego?

http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=3598
My Favourite posts!
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=539
http://forums.precentral.net/2674180-post149.html
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=500
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=63720

The Following User Says Thank You to gryedouge For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
MeeGo Harmattan was developed internally at Nokia (based on Debian). The MeeGo development on the MeeGo website really is a different beast.
There is overlap in components used, but the reality is that you can't say anything about how MeeGo Harmattan development was progressing based on the information on the MeeGo site.
I suspect that most of the development time (and problems) of MeeGo Harmattan were because of the totally new user interface and application set, not because of the core operation system.

The MeeGo Nokia/intel collaboration was intended to be a future update of the core operation system, providing Nokia the ability to use its modern (proprietary) harmattan UX, and a modern Core OS, without the need to develop everything internally.
But as it turns out building your own linux distribution from scratch isn't a very easy task, as was the development of SDK, UX and application set.
How ABill could've hung round this forum & followed developments in general for years & not known a shred of this is truly remarkable.
I'm not sure why you're bothering with trying to school him...
He's proven time & time again, that reading comprehension & learning is not one of his strong suits.

And that in itself is okay....
But when you shoot your mouth off as though you're the arbiter of all knowledge & future directions, & that everyone else are fools.
Well... it makes you look kinda silly.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-20 at 14:34.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????