Hi all,
Any chance of stellarium working under the debian port?

http://www.stellarium.org/

thanks,
Jeff

IIUC, stellarium uses openGL for video, which isn't available for the n8x0. Besides, I remember it being a fairly hefty app on my laptop, so I doubt it would run at a reasonable speed anyways.

Posts: 425 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ California
If you're looking for planetarium software you could look into KStars... It runs decently in Penguinbait's KDE

http://edu.kde.org/kstars/

Warning: dates on calendar are closer than they appear.

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Canada
I've been downloading monthly starmaps onto myN800 (or I did back when it was dark enough at a semi-reasonable hour) & would like to see a lighweight starmap generator for the N88x0.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

The Following User Says Thank You to JeffLuszcz For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Debian has OpenGL working, Mesa's software rendering. But, as one would expect with 3D software rendering on a processor with no hardware video acceleration (available to us), my tests have been very disappointing. The GLGears demo runs at about 10fps.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Manitoba, Canada
Originally Posted by TheRealBubba View Post
I've been downloading monthly starmaps onto myN800 (or I did back when it was dark enough at a semi-reasonable hour) & would like to see a lighweight starmap generator for the N88x0.
I am curious -- could you expand on what you mean by 'star maps'? I wrote 'Mephemeris', and it has options to display polar and equatorial star maps. It is not nearly as good as Stellarium or KStars, however

Stellarium seems to work, but it's a bit slow obviously. It installed an enormous number of library files. 72mb in all. The display fits the Nokia's 800x480 screen okay. I'm really not familiar with Stellarium though, so I don't know how it's supposed to behave. But it installs and runs on my N800 at least.

EDIT: Okay, it's REALLY slow. FPS=0.002422.

Last edited by Makurosu; 2008-07-15 at 02:13.

I've been using Planetarium in Garnet VM and it works great. I had it from my Visor Deluxe days and it's still around, but not free. There was also another astronomy program recommended in the Garnet apps thread called Astromist. KStars is nice too but slow.

Very cool, thanks for testing, sounds too slow to be usable though.

Tags
debian, easy debian