Active Topics

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
When will we see a Nokia MeeGo device so I can vote with my dollars? Nokia announced that their first Windows Phone will have ST Ericsson U8500, do you think the MeeGo device will also have it? What about the camera?

Posts: 380 | Thanked: 459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Slovenia
Originally Posted by automagic68 View Post
When will we see a Nokia MeeGo device so I can vote with my dollars? Nokia announced that their first Windows Phone will have ST Ericsson U8500, do you think the MeeGo device will also have it? What about the camera?
When and where did nokia announce that their first WP7 phone will use STE U8500? Source?

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
Mynokiablog.com

abill_uk - internet thug extraordinaire and an engineer at the same time.
Carrying the dark faith of countless dead USB sticks on his shoulders, piss him off and wave goodbye to yours.
abill_uk - his threats are threatning.

The Following User Says Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post:
If the eventually next (first and last?) Nokia Meego device will be decent, I will buy it. Otherwise i simply pass over and look for another Meego device, if anyone there will be one.

Originally Posted by olympus View Post
When and where did nokia announce that their first WP7 phone will use STE U8500? Source?
They didn't.

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Sao Paulo, Brazil
well i really believe that Intel will come with good expected mobile phones hardware (principally with its new 33nano 3d ivy bridge technology) and surely if it will run linux they will be choosing the best choice, cause today only maemo and meego do the real linux job in ARM acrchitecture. im totally anxious waiting the new intel phone!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by tkatchev View Post
MeeGo is not dead.
Instead of a joint Intel-Nokia project it is now only an Intel project.

And this might be for the better if you consider the whole picture.

As we see now, Nokia is like a headless chicken than blunders about, trying to find a partner (whether Intel or Microsoft, any partner) that would save them from themselves. Whatever the end result, Nokia is, and was, acting without a clear strategy or purpose. (This is why they dropped the ball so badly on Maemo and Symbian before.)

Intel, however, has solid business reasons to support MeeGo to the end.

Consider:

1. Intel needs a mobile OS if they want to succeed in the mobile business. (And they want to succeed.)

2. Whatever the OS they choose, they need one that capitalizes on the advantages of Intel's chips. The main advantages of Intel over the competition are twofold: a) performance and b) compatibility with existing software. The main advantages of MeeGo over the other open mobile OS's are also twofold: a) the ability to run powerful desktop software and b) compatibility with the existing Unix software API's. Intel and MeeGo are a very good match!

3. With MeeGo Intel has a unique offering -- they can now offer a complete hardware spectrum, from desktop to netbook to mobile to set-top to in-car, all running the same binary-compatible (!) software.

4. Intel already supports MeeGo. There is already a working, supported and marketed netbook MeeGo distribution. Now the other parts of the picture need to be filled in.

5. Intel dominates the server room today, thanks entirely to Linux and open source. There is no reason why they shouldn't try the same strategy w.r.t. the mobile industry.

6. Intel cannot win siding with Android only. With Android, Intel's chips will have to compete solely based on price and power-consumption features, and this is an area where Intel cannot win.

So, in summary: if you care about mobile Linux and open source, then the best and most effective course of action is to a) forget about Nokia and b) buy whatever Intel-MeeGo phone comes out this year and support them with your money!

Tags
its just a fail, stop dreaming, windelnkiabumby