Active Topics

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by Tuukka View Post
I'm planning to buy the Nokia N900 in the end of this month, but now im a bit suspicious. Is it reasonable, now that Meego and devices running it are on their way to the market?
nobody knows (or is letting on) what MeeGo will be like so really no-one knows the answer to your question - if you read this thread you will realise this.

I'll repeat what has been said dozens of times before to similar questions - If you buy an N900 now you are buying an N900 with Maemo5 in its current state - for better or worse depending on your outlook.

Besides, when the next device comes out you will be wondering if to buy that one, or waiting for the next next device... ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by jsa View Post
I can see how this could be confusing so I'll try to clarify it a bit in hopefully understandable terms. (Disclaimer: Contains generalisation, simplification and cutting corners. If there are glaring mistakes, feel free to correct.)

2. You need to understand the layers, which together form an operating system. It may be difficult if you come from Windows/OS X world because they both only have one user interface. UI and applications, however are only the top of the OS pyramid. Underneath them there are a lot of stuff that actually make it all tick. That's what Meego is about, providing a common base for user interfaces and applications to be built on. When you think of Meego in general, think of everything you as an end user don't see.

3. What you actually see, the UI, applications, services etc. can and will vary depending on who made the Meego device. LG's UI may look totally different from Nokia UI. You'll only see Ovi applications and services on Nokia devices. These manufacturer specific applications on top of Meego won't necessarily be open source either. But the base on which they are built on is the same.

If you keep all this in mind, the discussion hopefully makes a bit more sense.
So Meego will be a generic linux mobile operating system with each vendors adding their own flavors to it?

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by jeremiah View Post
Both systems are good although Debian's resolved dependencies first, rpm based systems had to wait until yum was developed before they had similar tools to apt-get.
I might be wrong, but I think mandriva developed urpmi long before redhat developed yum.

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by luca View Post
I might be wrong, but I think mandriva developed urpmi long before redhat developed yum.
Absolutely they did, about 10 years ago. Even though I no longer use Mandrake/Mandriva except for my laptop I still kinda prefer urpmi over any other rpm package handler. Really very good.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by FRZ View Post
So Meego will be a generic linux mobile operating system with each vendors adding their own flavors to it?
So it seems. There is supposed to be a lowest common denominator style MeeGo API, but it's fair game otherwise. Low-to mid layers seem to be expected as common across MeeGo devices, most of the difference being in the UX layer. Sort of like Android, from what I've gathered, except we get to be native (easier), share code with desktop components and also enclose the X86 + smartbook/netbook realm (whereas Google is focusing on Chrome instead of Android there).

Originally Posted by luca View Post
And obviously Yellow Dog Linux' yup also predates yum.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by lma View Post
And obviously Yellow Dog Linux' yup also predates yum.
The first public version of yup was 0.5.3 released in march 2000, while I could find an urpmi package in mandrake 7.0, january 2000, so urpmi predates yup by a few months