Can some one put a tutorial of how to do this on youtube or something for the noobs out there (ME). Because I have the but the slightest clue on how to do this can someone put this in noob talk.(by the way I still have not figured out how to install minimo or microb they both wont install.

Last edited by chachachazippo2; 2007-12-01 at 03:23.

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ USA & BharatVarsh ( INDIA - Kerala ).
To install the latest Flash on your nokia 770, You will first have to become the 'root' user. To do this you need to download ' Xterm ' from Maemo Website. To use ' Xterm' you will need to know a little about Linux commands and the usage thereof. For this Google will be of great help. You can also look up 'Becomeroot' at the maemo website and perhaps configure your Nokia 770 the way it is mentioned there to become the ' root ' user.

Once you figure this out and sign on as ' root ' you can simply follow the steps ' computerfreak ' mentioned to update your Nokia 770 to the latest Flash Software.

Here you must also know that having the latest Flash file installed on your Nokia 770 is not too much of a big deal. The new Flash file does improve the ' Flash ' involved functions of the Nokia 770 to some extent. Only not to a very great and rather noticeable extent.

Last edited by Arjun; 2009-11-10 at 21:53.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
well, having fscked my n770 so the browser would crash immediately on starting up, I ended up reflashing back to the beginning and giving up on this until the process is better understood, or, the Hacker Edition 2007 for 770 is more mature.

Flashplayer from OS2008 could be incompatible with Opera now that the official browser is Mozilla.

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ USA & BharatVarsh ( INDIA - Kerala ).
I have the final great ( official ) Nokia build on my Nokia 770. I was able to install Microb and upgrade the Flash to Version 9. So far I have not had the problem of browser crashing or any other such issues.

arjun, write out a step by step for us taht still cannot figure out the commands after installing root.
thanks man.

These are the steps ( as gleaned from the original post ) by ' Computerfreak '.

Please do make sure that you download the Flash file to the correct location on your Nokia 770.

Follow the steps mentioned at maemo website to become ' root ' user. You will need to install ' Xterm ' or some variant and be able to sign on as ' root ' user. The steps mentioned to upgrade the ' Flash ' can be executed as a ' root 'user only.

Many people mentioned that they were able to make this ' Flash ' upgrade work even without installing ' microb '. Unfortunately , I was not able to make this work. I had to download ' microb '.

The following details are quoted from various postings relating to computerfreak's original posting. Upgrade worked by following these steps, exactly.

Download (through the Nokia 770 ) browser:
http://nmacleod.com/nokia/n800/micro...-4.2007.tar.gz

opened 'xterm' and became ' root ' by typing:

# sudo su -

Backed up libflashplayer.so, by typing:
# cp /usr/lib/browser/plugins/libflashplayer.so ./

unpacked tarball (this overwrites libflashplayer.so, above, so no need to rm it first) by typing:
# tar -xvzf microb_flash-4.2007.tar.gz -C /

changed directory and created symbolic link, by typing:
# cd /usr/lib
# ln -s libplayback-1.so.0.0.4 libplayback-1.so.0

So, this was all the I did and I tested the newly installed Flash at www.dslreports.com., it worked and I was able to check the version of the Flash installed on my Nokia 770. It was indeed seen to be the latest one.

Last edited by Arjun; 2007-12-13 at 20:05.

Arjun,

I believe that you must have missed a step in your instructions. As you mentioned in an earlier post, when you download the flash file from the browser, it downloads it to "Documents", you said you have to copy it to root to make it work. Can you elaborate on how you accomplished that? I downloaded the file but cannot find it from the command line to untar it.

Originally Posted by dcambrid View Post
Arjun,

I believe that you must have missed a step in your instructions. As you mentioned in an earlier post, when you download the flash file from the browser, it downloads it to "Documents", you said you have to copy it to root to make it work. Can you elaborate on how you accomplished that? I downloaded the file but cannot find it from the command line to untar it.

I am not sure that I missed a step because the process of copying the Flash File from my download location to ' root ' was a step that
I had to use specifically. I do not think that this is a step that is mentioned in any of the original messages by people who updated the Flash earlier and with much more ease than me.

As I mentioned in my original post, for me the downloaded Flash
file update would go and sit in the ' Documents ' folder. I had a
little difficulty with this as later on when I tried to update the
Flash from that location it would not work for me. ' Untarring ' it
from the ' Documents ' Folder did not update the Flash whatsoever.

So I had to copy the Flash file from ' Documents ' folder to the
root. To do this I followed the steps that I had to ' Google '. I
found these at the following location.

http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/27

Another thing that you could perhaps do is, to download the Flash File to a Windows PC. Connect the Nokia 770 to the PC and drag the Flash File to a location within the Nokia 770, where it can be located easily ( using the command line ) and moved / copied to root to be ' Untarred '.

I hope that this works well for you.

Happy New Year to you all.

Last edited by Arjun; 2008-01-09 at 18:11.

I was just wondering if anyone has gotten the sound to work with flash 9 and if so how?

Thanks