Posts: 62 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Fort Gratiot, Michigan
For N800 users who want to use Android, there is one glaring problem (touchscreen support should be out soon). That would be the lack of an OSK.

Does anyone know of any ways to get one?

It's a necessity for internet browsing (I got to engadget by sifting through over 100 Google News links), as well as likely many other apps.

The Following User Says Thank You to jakemaheu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 223 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ home
We could write one if there isn't an app out yet...

I've been experimenting with the SDK and I'm dying to write my first app. Still poking around though...

"we" being the community. I'm not volunteering myself. yet

--Jon

Posts: 425 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ California
This guy built an onscreen keyboard, but he built it into the linux kernel so we obviously can't use that... Maybe we can contact him and ask him for the source?

Also, there's an onscreen keyboard in development as part of the Android Programming challenge. Doubtless it will cost a bundle once released however.

Warning: dates on calendar are closer than they appear.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by josiahg777 View Post
This guy built an onscreen keyboard, but he built it into the linux kernel so we obviously can't use that... Maybe we can contact him and ask him for the source?

Also, there's an onscreen keyboard in development as part of the Android Programming challenge. Doubtless it will cost a bundle once released however.
I mentioned that one , it was the one I was looking at. The source is actually available, what this guy has done has built it into the kernel (oh, sorry, I now you see you already said that):
http://it029000.massey.ac.nz/vogue/diffs

(Search for keyboard)

The only bit of hope I have is:
+++ b/arch/arm/mach-msm/vogue-ts.c
@@ -0,0 +1,799 @@
+/*
+Vogue Touch Screen Driver and by Martin Johnson <M.J.Johnson@massey.ac.nz>
+Based on TSC2003 driver by Bill Gatliff
N810 uses tsc2005 which as you can see has not a lot of difference in the name, and N800 uses TSC2301 and the difference in drivers from the tsc2005 and tsc2301 isn't that much which is why I was able to put the android touchscreen fix onto N800

Last edited by qwerty12; 2008-07-04 at 05:29.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Just curious if this was still being pursued or because of the license issue is being put on hold. I would really love to try this out but without the touch screen would have no use for it. I think you guys have done to this point is awesome and more people like you will make the n800 a very powerful tool.

Posts: 425 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ California
The OS is actually fairly easy to navigate by just using the DPAD.

and Qwerty's got the touchscreen working on both the N810 and the N800.

The issue is just that nobody's written an open-source soft keyboard for the Android platform yet. :/

I don't think it would bet that difficult but then again I haven't looked at Android since it's first release when I wrote "Hello World" with the first iteration of the SDK

Warning: dates on calendar are closer than they appear.

The Following User Says Thank You to josiahg777 For This Useful Post:
I've been trying to write an onscreen keyboard for some time now, but to no avail

I've got most of the GUI code down, but the problem emerges on the backend: Hooking onto EditTexts. (Once a textbox gets the focus, run the keyboard). Since Google hasn't released the full source it is not possible at this time. (if you want more details, ask)

I'm thinking of some work arounds (got a couple I will have to try), but it will take a while since it means I have to completely restructure my code.

If anyone has any ideas or wants to pitch in let me know.

--Jon

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jzencovich For This Useful Post:
I've been trying for about a week too, and I've pretty much run into the same problem as you. I'm wondering if it might just be a good idea to put out a url launcher app so that n800 users will at least have some input functionality for browsing the web.

The Following User Says Thank You to ha1f For This Useful Post:
That's possible, but to change URLS...

I was thinking of making use of one of the hardware keys, since I think a couple of them are unused on the n800. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think to make them usable we need a kernel patch?

--Jon

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Aren't they mapped like in Maemo to the F? keys?

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:

Tags
android