Active Topics

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ CA, USA
Haven't seen anyone else post this yet...forgive me if it has.

http://meego.com/community/blogs/val...owards-day-one

Most interesting: "...What is scheduled to be available then is the first and very raw baseline to a source and binary repository to build MeeGo trunk on Intel ATOM boards and Nokia N900."

The Following 44 Users Say Thank You to jdeetee For This Useful Post:
interesting!

thats good to know

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
people seemed to be reading too much into that one line,
we have always known meego will be capable of being compiled and run on n900, this don't mean nokia is releasing MeeGo on n900 officially.
what puzzles me is why it states atom and n900 and not atom and arm, that sounds like to me after harmattan nokia will use atom

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
Dont Know, I thought Atom was still far too power hungry compared to ARM. Definitely interesting reading though, hoping the N900 has a positive and long future as its a great device.

it says intel atom AND n900, so my guess is atom for future + n900 (present)

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
people seemed to be reading too much into that one line,
we have always known meego will be capable of being compiled and run on n900, this don't mean nokia is releasing MeeGo on n900 officially.
what puzzles me is why it states atom and n900 and not atom and arm, that sounds like to me after harmattan nokia will use atom
It looks like you are the one reading too much into that line.

The MeeGo project is the responsible of the MeeGo releases and hardware *they* support for *their* releases. So yes, the MeeGo project will release images for the N900 that will be official, you will be able to file bugs, propose features...

The current supporters of MeeGo are Intel, Nokia and the Linux Foundation. The LF has no own hardware so has nothing to support. Intel has chipsets and development boards (there is no Netbook from Intel, they are from vendors using Intel chipsets) and Nokia has devices (no ARM development board from Nokia). Hence the logical conclusion of announcing support for Atom boards and the N900 at this point. This will change if other vendors appear offering official support for the hardware they are responsible of.

The Following 54 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
It looks like you are the one reading too much into that line.

The MeeGo project is the responsible of the MeeGo releases and hardware *they* support for *their* releases. So yes, the MeeGo project will release images for the N900 that will be official, you will be able to file bugs, propose features..
but that does not mean nokia will release meego as a n900 upgrade with there UX and all nokia services for end users which is what people are thinking by reading that line.
if it did mean that nokia would not be announcing it on some obscure blog they would be making a big deal out of it at some conference.

Last edited by NvyUs; 2010-03-04 at 04:31.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
This thread is about MeeGo Day 1 and that blog post, indeed.

What that blog post talks about is MeeGo vanilla support announced by the MeeGo project. This is not Harmattan support with Harmattan apps by Nokia. It's Nokia and not the MeeGo project who has the word on Nokia deliveries.

Still, N900 users concerned about "the future of the N900" now know that their hardware is in the real track for future support. More answers to come as the Harmattan alpha release approaches.

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
I hope this shuts up some of the naggers.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post: