Active Topics

Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
It doesn't say anything about releases ;-)

Presumably one would be able to build MeeGo for N900 next month if their bootstrap schedule holds.
Has Nokias ever held a Schedule ?

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
It doesn't say anything about releases ;-)
http://meego.com/about/faq says

When will we see the first MeeGo release?
We are planning the project release of MeeGo version 1 in the second quarter of 2010. We expect MeeGo- based products to begin appearing based on OEM and OSV product schedules.
Presumably one would be able to build MeeGo for N900 next month if their bootstrap schedule holds.
Agree. In practice this means that as soon as MeeGo is in a bootable state you can expect some way to install it. Whether that will be useful or interesting to N900 users, that is a different question.

Question (too busy to dig right now): how long did it take to the Ubuntu project to have a first installable release after the project announcement? And how long did it take from there to a stable final release that pure end user could enjoy in their computers?

These would be useful references.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by eikido View Post
Has Nokias ever held a Schedule ?
Get this thing straight: this is http://meego.com - a free software project hosted by the Linux Foundation. Yes, Nokia has a big involvement there. No, it is not a Nokia project.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Presumably it will require some time between (1) issuance of a bootable base Meego OS to the world and (2) issuance of an OS+APPS package ready for daily use on the N900...

Happy to field questions where I can help.
================================================

Last edited by digittante; 2010-03-04 at 08:04. Reason: inserting proper 'quote' tags

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to digittante For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by oldchap View Post
Well, this is just like Debian free. Do you think there is cellular binary available? No way, because that requires certification process.
In the case of the N900 all the hardware adaptation exists and is well tested by Nokia.

MeeGo for N900 is really a geek stuff and an ordinary user should not use that.
Absolutely true before MeeGo gets it's first stable release. I wouldn't be that sure about from that point, too.

Would you call "really geek stuff" to Ubuntu running on laptops bought with another OS out of the box?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
If I understand this aright, this means that at some point an n900 owner will have the choice of staying with maemo 5 or doing some sort of flash to an 'approved' meego firmware (depending on their level of contentment with the device, apps, bugs etc - some may choose not to go back to a 'new software' state). By 'approved' that's approved either by Nokia (and thereforre covered by the warranty) or approved by the community (and at own risk, like maemo apps).

Did I get that right?

Cos if so, although I personally am less concerned about all this than most, simply getting an answer for all those people who've been waling about it causes me a deep desire to hug someone. Anyone?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
This thread is about MeeGo Day 1 and that blog post, indeed.

What that blog post talks about is MeeGo vanilla support announced by the MeeGo project. This is not Harmattan support with Harmattan apps by Nokia. It's Nokia and not the MeeGo project who has the word on Nokia deliveries.

Still, N900 users concerned about "the future of the N900" now know that their hardware is in the real track for future support. More answers to come as the Harmattan alpha release approaches.
I'm starting to think this mess needs to be diagrammed to make it perfectly clear...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I'm starting to think this mess needs to be diagrammed to make it perfectly clear...

i very much agree. +50000

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Let's manage expectations here.

If there is some kind of release next month, it is highly unlikely MeeGo on the n900 will be in a usuable state. Not for daily use anyway.

Bear in mind there maybe very little functionality at the moment.

If people are eager for MeeGo to be available on the n900 then install it ans report bugs - if you can maybe fix a few.

This is a "proper" open-source project now - a few companies are supporting the effort and its open to the community at large.

This is great news and shows Linux (in any form) is here to stay in the mobile sector.

We actually have a tangible alternative to proprietory systems.

P.S. It does raise the question of "What will Nokia do with closed-source binaries?" Hopfully the answer will be open-source them or develop open-source alternatives at very least publish specifications..

Last edited by johnel; 2010-03-04 at 08:35.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Cos if so, although I personally am less concerned about all this than most, simply getting an answer for all those people who've been waling about it causes me a deep desire to hug someone. Anyone?
Yeah, that's how I feel too. Such upset, such hand-wringing, I just want to pat some heads and say, "there, there, it will be OK"...

As I posted on the blog, this is also another clear statement that Nokia and Intel see MeeGo as a flanking attack to win the OS war starting in the pocket and in the backpack. I foresee a future where all the innovation is in the mobile space and people will be wanting their mobile apps on the desktop, rather than the other way around. Actually, I foresee the death of the desktop computer altogether.

I think Nokia and Intel foresee all of that too, and this is their first strike to conquer the computing world and release it from its shackles

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: