Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 32 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Australia
n810 Rebased against 2.6.33.2 + MeeGo patches (all from here: http://repo.meego.com/MeeGo/devel/tr....2-7.3.src.rpm)
Includes zImage and patch.
http://bit.ly/aOzM0n

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Termana For This Useful Post:
Posts: 235 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Costa Rica
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
I can't code myself, but I have a N810 lying at home. How can I help?
Same here. I barely use my n810 since I bought my n900.

Just let me know if testers are needed.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Brazil - Piracicaba/SP
Originally Posted by Termana View Post
n810 Rebased against 2.6.33.2 + MeeGo patches (all from here: http://repo.meego.com/MeeGo/devel/tr....2-7.3.src.rpm)
I Have a N800, would this kernel patch aply to my hardware? can i put it without fear?

this 1.0 img is without graphics ui, did i get it right? is only 2megas? wow!

will an USB keyboard work since n800īs donīt get a slide keyboard one?

Since i should install it to run tests (if it is compatible to n800)
what shoud be the best way to provide feedback to you and install on it?

other things, here we are at maemo.org community, but meego.com is growning and have their own forum, wiki, etc.
If we start posting this subject here, can it be a way to the meego project see this iniciative more atached to their project and be more supportive?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marshel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Termana View Post
I have some problem with this patch:
1. Internel MMC doesn't recognized
2. Omap Soc sound driver module doesn't create:
Device Drivers --->
Sound card support --->
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture --->
ALSA for SoC audio support --->
<M> SoC Audio for the Texas Instruments OMAP chips
<M> SoC Audio support for Nokia N810
<M> Build all ASoC CODEC drivers
ERROR: "i2c_register_board_info" [sound/soc/omap/snd-soc-n810.ko] undefined!

3. What's with WiFi ?

Thank you

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
So, this is a thread on starting work on a hardware adaptation for Nokia N8x0. (http://meego.com/developers/hardware-enabling-process). While I doubt we can be a first quality port due to need to upstream patches, we can try things and see how far we can get.

A starter is to grab the current kernel package from http://repo.meego.com/MeeGo/devel/tr....1-8.2.src.rpm , modify this with Termana and luke-jr's patches.

If we ask nicely, I think it should be possible to get repackaging done through my distmaster position so we can get the different firmwares, BME, etc provided through similar means (RPM repository) as tablets-dev.nokia.com does with the MeeGo on N900 things. So, we have a good start.

We can probably start with the chroot images (tar.gz) for N900 as they are fairly generic and the kickstart files.
Instead of this hopping [in regards to N800/N810 OS] from Mer to Mer-whatver-version-2 to MeeGo maybe it would make sense to try to focus on sticking to one option and develop that.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Last edited by silvermountain; 2010-04-20 at 20:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
Instead of this hopping [in regards to N800/N810 OS] from Mer to Mer-whatver-version-2 to MeeGo maybe it would make sense to try to focus on sticking to one option and develop that.
My job is also to help start development of things in the community - hence some of the hopping. From a personal preference point of view, MeeGo on N8x0 has most future. But I don't know when MeeGo is day-to-day usable either.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Australia
Originally Posted by marshel View Post
I Have a N800, would this kernel patch aply to my hardware? can i put it without fear?
No, this patch will not work with an n800, only an n810. There is a link in my signature for a .34-rc3 kernel for n800 which was done by tmr - however the n800 .34-rc3 patch is not against the MeeGo kernel (obviously).

Originally Posted by svs57 View Post
I have some problem with this patch:
1. Internel MMC doesn't recognized
No, this is a known problem. The menelaus driver has the code for the internal MMC, however it doesn't get recognized. Upstream (linux-omap) don't know why this is either.

2. Omap Soc sound driver module doesn't create:
I have not tested anything outside of my base configuration (arch/arm/configs/n810_defconfig), including sound. There was someone that got sound working for the n810, I will be seeing if I can contact him, if not I will try and get it working myself.

3. What's with WiFi ?
You need to include the p45spi driver into the config. If you look at the .33.1 kernel thread linked in my signature some people have got it working, I have not done any testing on this either and is not included in the base configuration.

I will be performing some testing on these components and making a new patch file soon.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
My job is also to help start development of things in the community - hence some of the hopping. From a personal preference point of view, MeeGo on N8x0 has most future. But I don't know when MeeGo is day-to-day usable either.
Does your job also include finishing a project because I haven't seen much of that?

Along those lines, since you say that MeeGo in your personal opinion has most future does that mean that Nokia is supporting Mer and if not then why is Mer being worked on if MeeGo in your opinion is a more plausible OS option?

I'm sorry to sound 'bitter' but honestly the lack of focus ('Mer for N8xx', 'No wait, we're also doing Mer for N900', 'No wait Mer is dead now it's Mer2 that will come', 'Oh wait. no MeeGo on N8xx is better') is indeed rather tiring and has become one huge disappointment.

If your job, as you mention above, is to start development of things in the community I think you've done that. But if you going forward expect people to beta test, etc you might also want to think about sticking to a project.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Does your job also include finishing a project because I haven't seen much of that?

Along those lines, since you say that MeeGo in your personal opinion has most future does that mean that Nokia is supporting Mer and if not then why is Mer being worked on if MeeGo in your opinion is a more plausible OS option?

I'm sorry to sound 'bitter' but honestly the lack of focus ('Mer for N8xx', 'No wait, we're also doing Mer for N900', 'No wait Mer is dead now it's Mer2 that will come', 'Oh wait. no MeeGo on N8xx is better') is indeed rather tiring and has become one huge disappointment.

If your job, as you mention above, is to start development of things in the community I think you've done that. But if you going forward expect people to beta test, etc you might also want to think about sticking to a project.
While I understand the point you're making here, you have to understand that there has been a lot of churn and change that has forced plans (not just Mer, everywhere) to change in very big ways over time. MeeGo's very existence changes a lot of things, at least as far as I'm concerned, because it addresses a lot of the same problems Mer set out to accomplish (such as easier porting to devices).

And it's not just limited to new tech/etc introducing changes, just *doing* some of this stuff teaches lessons that force plans and other things to change in order to remain relevant and realistic. While I wasn't actively around for the earlier days of Mer, I've enjoyed watching it - and the people involved with it - evolve to meet the challenges of the growing requirements.

So no. It hasn't -yet- produced something of shipping quality, but I don't think there's been a better road to go along to learn how to get things done, and I remain hopeful that MeeGo will help to produce a stable and productive base platform for use on a wide variety of devices, including older NITs.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:

Sometimes you have to look at the amount of support a project gets and say "not enough people care".
At least, not enough care enough to spend time making it happen.

As an example: How much time have you personally put into Mer silvermountain? Either development, docs, supporting others .. that kind of thing?
Probably not a lot - and that's fine, it's a volunteer thing

However, if not enough people volunteer then.... it doesn't happen.

It turns out that Merm as originally conceivedm was too hard for just a few core devs to deliver and, IMHO, the maemo community didn't engage enough.

Oh, and if you find it disappointing that it wasn't delivered then how disappointing do you think it is when you spend literally months of your life non-stop, 12+hours a day, 7 days a week working on a project and people typically say "Isn't it ready yet? Oh, I can't code, sorry." (I do sometimes wonder if it will come as a surprise to many of those people to find that coders learn to code by doing research and working at it!)

Anyhow...

Meego, by contrast, is much more open and reduces the effort needed to get the N8x0 up and running. There should be a reference UI too - lots of things to make it easier.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lbt For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
hardware adaptation, meego