Posts: 75 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Malta
same here: end-user. I think its great we have a dedicated community like this and look forward to this project. Thank you. good to know we can depend on the community even if nokia won't hold our hands (nokia hand logo thing get it ;p)

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
Basically Harmattan was an independant development from Nokia.

MeeGo was an independant development knows as Moblin.

Nokia said "f*** me - Moblin and Harmattan are very similar let's get naked and merge"

Harmattan project is continuing but going to include software that makes it compatible with MeeGo.

MeeGo development continues as usual using n900 as reference platform (using a MeeGo UI - modded by Nokia).

???????
Maemo 6 codenamed Harmattan was independent development from Nokia.

Moblin was an independent development known as Moblin.

Nokia and intel said 'f*** us, we are both developing our own linux distros (Maemo and Moblin), why not develop just one base together and we can add multiple UXes on top'

Harmattan project is continuing because it was in a point of no return on it's way to a handset that'll be out somewhere in H2 2010. Some of the software needed in MeeGo to be MeeGo compliant will be from Harmattan, I think.

MeeGo is a project from Linux Foundation and N900 is the reference handset/ARM platform for that development.

This is how I see it, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by jsa View Post
Maemo 6 codenamed Harmattan was independent development from Nokia.

Moblin was an independent development known as Moblin.

Nokia and intel said 'f*** us, we are both developing our own linux distros (Maemo and Moblin), why not develop just one base together and we can add multiple UXes on top'

Harmattan project is continuing because it was in a point of no return on it's way to a handset that'll be out somewhere in H2 2010. Some of the software needed in MeeGo to be MeeGo compliant will be from Harmattan, I think.

MeeGo is a project from Linux Foundation and N900 is the reference handset/ARM platform for that development.

This is how I see it, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
That makes much more sense!

I need a lye down - already had a migraine this week don't want another one.

EDIT: Rejoice, rejoice he who is called "qgil" has blessed jla's post - the riddle of the Nokia ancients has been solved!

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
When you say "HARMATTAN ON N900!!"
Nobody can't predict the future but...

- It should have telephony, yes.

- Flash, you have the technical question (will it work or not, how well will it perform) and you have the legal question (Adobe allowing redistribution of the software to the community).

- Same for Skype.

- Same for Ovi Maps although the owner is Nokia and the maps are available to download, so the legal aspect looks simpler.

Those are four simple Yes/No questions.
No, they are not. There is a technical feasibility and performance to be seen and there is a very grey area around certifications, EULAs, R&D experimentation and fair use.

This situation would be simpler if there would be proprietary software downloadable and installable under their own EULA acceptance, just like Adobe or Skype do for PCs.

Last edited by qgil; 2010-05-28 at 10:19.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Initially, no Skype, no Ovi Maps and no Flash.

To be fair we should have a stable release before we think about third-party apps.

Even without these apps it will be a very versatile device.

I would like to think that telephony is a given.

While Harmattan is being developed maybe we should start negotiating with these companies to include their software (unless being discussed already by Nokia?)

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
fyi I have requested the moderators to rename the topic of this thread:

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan release from Nokia"

Hope it helps.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 349 | Thanked: 309 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ PS/IL
@qgil

MeeGo 1.1 will have Handhelds UX, or at least thats what i heard. The question is will it have Harmattan's UX like the first MeeGo device from nokia, or Intel's own UX?
Also will Nokia allow us to use Harmattans UX in the hackers edition of MeeGo, or we'll have to make our own UX?

Sorry if these questions are asked before

Last edited by Chrome; 2010-05-28 at 10:27.

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
OK. So now I have no idea what this thread is about and what exactly you guys want to accomplish. Sorry.

I guess I just skip it and unsubscribe the thread.

Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
MeeGo 1.1 will have Handhelds UX, or at least thats what i heard. The question is will it have Harmattan's UX like the first MeeGo device from nokia, or Intel's own UX?
Also will Nokia allow us to use Harmattans UX in the hackers edition of MeeGo, or we'll have to make our own UX?
Both MeeGo Handset UX and MeeGo-Harmattan will have a UI based on the MeeGo Touch framework that was introduced in the Maemo Summit last year as "Harmattan UI Framework". By "Intel's own UX" I guess you mean "MeeGo's own UX". That "UX" includes the system UI and applications. You will see the differences when the MeeGo Handset UX and the MeeGo-Harmattan UX are public, but for now it's not that relevant, really. The foundation and APIs are the same.

I work at Nokia and I started this thread inviting the community to play with MeeGo-Harmattan as soon as it's public in order to make it work in the N900 as good as technically possible. Ys, there is a legal grey area but let's not get obsessed about it now. The first thing is to see if this initiative can deliver something technically usable and useful, with a real user demand beyind the usual tinkerers.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
with a real user demand beyind the usual tinkerers.
That is a tricky question to answer.

There are plenty of post complaining that Nokia won't support MeeGo-Harmattan on the N900 officially. You can certainly take that as "real user" support. However, I think most of those posters assume that would mean things like Flash, Skype, Maps, Ovi, etc.

If MeeGo-Harmattan on the N900 lacks some/all of those items, it becomes relevant to the tinkerers only, not the "real users".

My fear is unless it is determined that some/all of that software is confirmed, only tinkerers will support it, and then based on "lack of real user support" stay a tinkerer only project.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:

Tags
harmattan, meego