Active Topics

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by harrihakulinen View Post
It is not completely clear, what is the best way to integrate these kind of 3rd party closed applications. MeeGo project itself is supposed to work only on open source, and we are trying to emphasize that at least now.
//Harri
Thanks for the reply. I don't meant to be argumentative or critical, but what would the point of the MeeGo adaptation be if there's no useful browser, navigation and video integration?

By the way I am assuming that other closed source core apps like phone, media player, file manager and camera will still be made available somehow right? Or will they be made open source?

Sorry if I'm being dense I'm not quite sure what is being provided in community edition MeeGo (Harmattan).

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
Thanks for the reply. I don't meant to be argumentative or critical, but what would the point of the MeeGo adaptation be if there's no useful browser, navigation and video integration?
Keep in mind that the topic of this thread is 'hardware adaptation'.

Normally a MeeGo installation you'd get from a vendor is consisting of four pieces:

MeeGo Core, a hardware adaptation (drivers, configuration files for hardware, firmware, etc), a MeeGo UX (for example Handset) and optionally vendor provided applications, plugins, app stores, etc.

The things discussed here is hardware adaptation, which together with Core provides the ability for the device to run MeeGo.

That said, MeeGo UX's should come with some reference applications. Examples could be (I have no idea if they're there), file managers, calculators, etc. For example, Netbook UX has Chrome as browser.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 330 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mumbai, India and Amherst, USA (Current Location)
Thanks Harri, your post should put an end to all the ridiculous speculations about Meego and N900.

Thanks for porting Meego to N900. Couldn't have asked for more.

Keep up the good work.

Appreciated!

Would be good if you could visit the forum biweekly and post the updates on the "Meego to N900" project.

Thanks once again.

Kudos for you and your team for working so hard!

Now this is the Nokia I know of

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to resplendent2209 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eitama View Post
Personally, I don't care if it's a nokia image or meego.com image.
As long there will be a meego image, I can install on my N900, which will allow me to install apps from repos, ovi store, make calls, play games and enjoy the nokia meego UI, i'll be satisfied.
Who know, maybe I'll even have 3g video calls!
Yeah...I wouldn't count on the Nokia Meego UI. Not sure about Ovi Store either.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
The things discussed here is hardware adaptation, which together with Core provides the ability for the device to run MeeGo.

That said, MeeGo UX's should come with some reference applications. Examples could be (I have no idea if they're there), file managers, calculators, etc. For example, Netbook UX has Chrome as browser.
I see, its starting to become clear. So the May release of Meego regardless of hardware does not linclude the Meego UX which will be released later.

It would be interesting to have a similar but separate Meego UX thread so that we can understand what Meego UX components that Nokia plans on making available.

Sounds like this (the hardware adaptation) is the first step of many to having a useful Meego experience on the N900.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post:
Posts: 330 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mumbai, India and Amherst, USA (Current Location)
It would be interesting to have a similar but separate Meego UX thread so that we can understand what Meego UX components that Nokia plans on making available.
+++1. Do we have anyone from Nokia here to shed light on this?

On a related note, is there a listing of *Maemo* UX components? We need to understand
- which of them we can reuse under MeeGo, either as binary blobs or as open source
- which we cannot reuse (e.g., due to license restrictions or known incompatibility with MeeGo), and which will need to be reimplemented by the community

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 360 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Pirkkala, Finland

By the way I am assuming that other closed source core apps like phone, media player, file manager and camera will still be made available somehow right? Or will they be made open source?

Sorry if I'm being dense I'm not quite sure what is being provided in community edition MeeGo (Harmattan).
Like Carsten said, this is bit off topic for this thread, please use eg. the one started by Quim in sticky ones.

I will only say that generally this kind things should be done based on policies decided by MeeGo project and active members there. Right now I am not aware of such MeeGo policy, but likely some other people are discussing those for MeeGo 1.0 as we speak ..

These kind of things will evolve via trial & error kind of way as well.

Br,
//Harri

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harrihakulinen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 29 | Thanked: 360 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Pirkkala, Finland
Originally Posted by jacktanner View Post
On a related note, is there a listing of *Maemo* UX components? We need to understand
- which of them we can reuse under MeeGo, either as binary blobs or as open source
- which we cannot reuse (e.g., due to license restrictions or known incompatibility with MeeGo), and which will need to be reimplemented by the community
For all of you that are interested about mobile UX:

This is also mostly off topic for this thread, and I would advise you to wait couple of days, so we can have meaningful discussion about it. Right now we are not supposed to discuss about it, and we really don't have enough time either.

I will only say, that you will be positively surprised in many ways, even though that is not really any surprise for people that are following what happens out there.

Br,
//Harri

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to harrihakulinen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
The project discussed here is about open source meego.com releases running in the N900, pure or with some binary compromises in the hardware adaptation layer.

Please don't bug his team with questions about Ovi, Skype, Flash etc. The good thread for this is N900 community support for the future MeeGo based release from Nokia.

Thank you!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread