Active Topics

MeeGo is not dead.
Instead of a joint Intel-Nokia project it is now only an Intel project.

And this might be for the better if you consider the whole picture.

As we see now, Nokia is like a headless chicken than blunders about, trying to find a partner (whether Intel or Microsoft, any partner) that would save them from themselves. Whatever the end result, Nokia is, and was, acting without a clear strategy or purpose. (This is why they dropped the ball so badly on Maemo and Symbian before.)

Intel, however, has solid business reasons to support MeeGo to the end.

Consider:

1. Intel needs a mobile OS if they want to succeed in the mobile business. (And they want to succeed.)

2. Whatever the OS they choose, they need one that capitalizes on the advantages of Intel's chips. The main advantages of Intel over the competition are twofold: a) performance and b) compatibility with existing software. The main advantages of MeeGo over the other open mobile OS's are also twofold: a) the ability to run powerful desktop software and b) compatibility with the existing Unix software API's. Intel and MeeGo are a very good match!

3. With MeeGo Intel has a unique offering -- they can now offer a complete hardware spectrum, from desktop to netbook to mobile to set-top to in-car, all running the same binary-compatible (!) software.

4. Intel already supports MeeGo. There is already a working, supported and marketed netbook MeeGo distribution. Now the other parts of the picture need to be filled in.

5. Intel dominates the server room today, thanks entirely to Linux and open source. There is no reason why they shouldn't try the same strategy w.r.t. the mobile industry.

6. Intel cannot win siding with Android only. With Android, Intel's chips will have to compete solely based on price and power-consumption features, and this is an area where Intel cannot win.

So, in summary: if you care about mobile Linux and open source, then the best and most effective course of action is to a) forget about Nokia and b) buy whatever Intel-MeeGo phone comes out this year and support them with your money!

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to tkatchev For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Rather than use your own money and command a very small niche of the consumer base, it's best to align our interest with the rest of the market.

A MeeGo device that has a great and user friendly UI with a stocked apps can go a long long way to win the masses and make this a commercial success that guarantees its longevity.

The sooner 'we' understand this, the better off we are. I wish this could happen earlier during maemo years, before the s**t hits the fan.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Rather than use your own money and command a very small niche of the consumer base, it's best to align our interest with the rest of the market.

A MeeGo device that has a great and user friendly UI with a stocked apps can go a long long way to win the masses and make this a commercial success that guarantees its longevity.

The sooner 'we' understand this, the better off we are. I wish this could happen earlier during maemo years, before the s**t hits the fan.
That's not the point. The point is that 'user friendly UI and apps' will, at the moment, only come from Intel's support of MeeGo. Nobody else has a business need to support MeeGo.

The Following User Says Thank You to tkatchev For This Useful Post:
It might not be dead, but I'd guess that we won't get more than one phone running it (if that even). Don't forget that Meego also replaced Moblin, which was designed for netbooks etc.
So you'll probably see some netbooks and tablets with it, and I seem to recall that some car manufacturers want to use it for in-car systems. I'm sure it'll go on set top boxes too.
However, none of those devices are phones.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by tkatchev View Post
That's not the point. The point is that 'user friendly UI and apps' will, at the moment, only come from Intel's support of MeeGo. Nobody else has a business need to support MeeGo.
My point was: this community can contribute much more in other areas than if you just try to raid their pocket; which I think is a futile exercise with potentially zero effect to the market.

Ps: #5 is so different than the mobile market.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 73 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris
I don't understand why so many people say meego is unfinished : I installed the first developer version on a partition of my wife's Atom laptop (that normally runs Mandriva Linux), she stumbled upon it one day, and she's been using it ever since, apparently loving it.

I too think that Meego still has a role to play.

EDIT no wait, what I think really, is that Meego can eventually be immensely successful. It's around the corner, like Linux on the desktop. Hold on, Intel. Personally I'm holding on pretty well, using linux (Maemo, Debian, Arch, whatever really) on a daily basis. Never really used a Microsoft product at all, in fact (apart for checking that nope, that one too does not work for me).

Last edited by xaccrocheur; 2011-02-14 at 10:54. Reason: afterthoughs

The Following User Says Thank You to xaccrocheur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wheelybird View Post
It might not be dead, but I'd guess that we won't get more than one phone running it (if that even). Don't forget that Meego also replaced Moblin, which was designed for netbooks etc.
So you'll probably see some netbooks and tablets with it, and I seem to recall that some car manufacturers want to use it for in-car systems. I'm sure it'll go on set top boxes too.
However, none of those devices are phones.
Not true. There will be only one MeeGo phone from Nokia.

Other manufacturers will quickly release lots of other MeeGo phones under other brands once Intel finishes their Moorestown platform.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Finland
Finnish newspaper Kauppalehti: "Chinese manufacturer ZTE has invested in Meego R&D. Their 1st OS is Android and 2nd Windows Mobile. But they do also early R&D on Meego.

http://www.kauppalehti.fi/5/i/talous...id=20110260471

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Metsämies For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by tkatchev View Post
Not true. There will be only one MeeGo phone from Nokia.

Other manufacturers will quickly release lots of other MeeGo phones under other brands once Intel finishes their Moorestown platform.
You obviously not only work for Nokia but can see into the future aye !!!.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by xaccrocheur View Post
I don't understand why so many people say meego is unfinished : I installed the first developer version on a partition of my wife's Atom laptop (that normally runs Mandriva Linux), she stumbled upon it one day, and she's been using it ever since, apparently loving it.
Because the netbook version isn't the same as the mobile version. I haven't tried Meego on my N900 because last I heard even Meego devs were saying it wasn't ready for general use, but feel free to install it on your N900 and then tell us it is finished.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:

Tags
its just a fail, stop dreaming, windelnkiabumby