Active Topics

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
The MeeGo handset images from meego.com work well for platform and application developers wishing to get in early, and target now for the devices which are anticipated this year.

The handsets that will eventually be released, based on MeeGo will probably be extremely different UXs to those you've already seen screenshots of from the meego.com handset UX. The "desktop" UX is likely to be radically different for each manufacturer, Nokia included. The important parts of the platform are the underlying APIs and systems and Qt. So we can write one and deploy on _any_ MeeGo device.

What I invisage is a Nokia handset this year, running _their_ MeeGo and maybe other handsets running the vendors MeeGo. The stock apps and current handset UX are cool if you want to remove any kind of vendor branding and support a fully open platform. But that is unlikely to be where normal users will be, but we can still develop OSS that runs on anything, thanks to the common platform APIs and Qt.

The Following User Says Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
You obviously not only work for Nokia but can see into the future aye !!!.
No, I merely have enough common sense to actually read and understand what those scumbag execs and board members are actually saying.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
I don't know where the impression is coming from that Intel is the only one working on Meego now. Nokia specifically said that Meego will continue as a project geared towards future disruptions in the smartphone market (i.e. Maemo). Whether it gets the attention it needs and deserves has yet to be seen but Nokia has not dropped out of Meego altogether.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
I don't know where the impression is coming from that Intel is the only one working on Meego now. Nokia specifically said that Meego will continue as a project geared towards future disruptions in the smartphone market (i.e. Maemo). Whether it gets the attention it needs and deserves has yet to be seen but Nokia has not dropped out of Meego altogether.
MeeGo is tied to Qt and Qt's future is in risk. Surely KDE can fork Qt but this won't help. One of Qt's big advantages is that it's cross-platform, but an opensource project most probably won't continue that. People from KDE may improve Qt but this will be done mostly with Linux in mind.

Of course Qt may become something like the Linux kernel wheren OS vendors may jump in and add support for their OS, but i seriously doubt that.

Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
Come on, please!

Translated from scumbag double-speak language that means:
"We will drop MeeGo like a turd down a toilet as soon as our previous agreements with Intel make it possible to do so".

Which means that Nokia will release the one MeeGo device that's currently in development, and right after that will fire all of their MeeGo developers, never to release another MeeGo device again.

Originally Posted by v13 View Post
MeeGo is tied to Qt and Qt's future is in risk. Surely KDE can fork Qt but this won't help. One of Qt's big advantages is that it's cross-platform, but an opensource project most probably won't continue that. People from KDE may improve Qt but this will be done mostly with Linux in mind.

Of course Qt may become something like the Linux kernel wheren OS vendors may jump in and add support for their OS, but i seriously doubt that.
Qt is not in danger.

There is a lot of serious money and effort vested in Qt's cross-platformness. In commercial Windows software as well.

They even made the device so flimsy that the networks turned it down... To fix that problem, they took it back to the work bench to saw the keyboard off of it. =p

Qt is in danger, and has been ever since Trolltech was bought by Nokia.

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by tkatchev View Post
Come on, please!

Translated from scumbag double-speak language that means:
"We will drop MeeGo like a turd down a toilet as soon as our previous agreements with Intel make it possible to do so".

Which means that Nokia will release the one MeeGo device that's currently in development, and right after that will fire all of their MeeGo developers, never to release another MeeGo device again.
I think you presume too much, Nokia still use Qt for their desktop Ovi Suite, which I doubt will change. They have also got a fair few more Symbian devices coming out, and Qt is their platform. We'll know a lot more in a year or two what they intend to do, but for the short term, 2-3 years, I'm sure they will continue to invest in the platform. Probably as much if not more than now.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I have to agree wih the negative assessment of MS/Nokia toward MeeGo at this point. They're keeping MeeGo somewhat as a plan B, with minimal running costs while waiting for intel to make some sort of disruptive product out of it that can be cashed out of.

As long as they don't see MeeGo as a money maker, we can safely predict that Nokia is just slowly cutting their losses on their MeeGo investments.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:

Tags
its just a fail, stop dreaming, windelnkiabumby