Active Topics

I've put my money where my mouth is for three internet devices now. I'm done.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stenny For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
I think you presume too much, Nokia still use Qt for their desktop Ovi Suite, which I doubt will change. They have also got a fair few more Symbian devices coming out, and Qt is their platform. We'll know a lot more in a year or two what they intend to do, but for the short term, 2-3 years, I'm sure they will continue to invest in the platform. Probably as much if not more than now.
Laugh-out-loud.

What, didn't you get Friday's memo?

There will be no more Ovi.

Ovi is finished, permanently end-of-life. From now on Nokia will use Microsoft services and Microsoft software.

This means that they will continue to use Ovi for about a year while their WinPhone devices are being designed, and after that no more Ovi and no more Qt for Nokia.

(Qt will continue just fine, only not at Nokia.)

The Following User Says Thank You to tkatchev For This Useful Post:
Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by tkatchev View Post
Laugh-out-loud.

What, didn't you get Friday's memo?

There will be no more Ovi.

Ovi is finished, permanently end-of-life. From now on Nokia will use Microsoft services and Microsoft software.

This means that they will continue to use Ovi for about a year while their WinPhone devices are being designed, and after that no more Ovi and no more Qt for Nokia.

(Qt will continue just fine, only not at Nokia.)
Seriously .. So where is your source for their complete EOL of Symbian and Ovi services/suite?

EDIT: I'm talking about dates ...

Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
Seriously .. So where is your source for their complete EOL of Symbian and Ovi services/suite?

EDIT: I'm talking about dates ...
The dates I pulled out of nowhere, based on their quoted schedules about when they'll release their first batches of WinPhone devices and when they want to phase out Symbian.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ the netherlands
meego.com is acting weird asking password

The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Drips For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Which means that Nokia will release the one MeeGo device that's currently in development, and right after that will fire all of their MeeGo developers, never to release another MeeGo device again.
You haven't been around long have you? This is the same exact position Nokia has taken with Maemo over the years. Whether or not Meego is treated like a red headed stepchild (apologies to any actual red headed stepchildren reading this) or whether it grows to something more is partially up to us, and partially up to Nokia.

I, for one, am hoping for the best.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
You haven't been around long have you? This is the same exact position Nokia has taken with Maemo over the years. Whether or not Meego is treated like a red headed stepchild (apologies to any actual red headed stepchildren reading this) or whether it grows to something more is partially up to us, and partially up to Nokia.

I, for one, am hoping for the best.
Good Lord above, did you even try reading my post??

It's exactly what I've been saying in this thread!

The point is that MeeGo is an Intel project, and Intel has serious, pressing business needs as to why MeeGo needs to succeed.

Nokia's foray into Linux were only half-assed attempts at playing along with Intel, that much is clear now. Nokia never knew why or how they should approach Linux.

6. Intel cannot win siding with Android only. With Android, Intel's chips will have to compete solely based on price and power-consumption features, and this is an area where Intel cannot win.
I don't see why you assume Intel can't win in price/power in mobile. They have the best silicon technology in the world -- they just need to build the right chips out of it. Maybe Medfield is that chip? Have a look here:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/14/i...ve-longest-us/

They claim to have lower active power than ARM, which would be really interesting.

Perhaps Nokia must downplay meego as it represents direct competition to their new partner, Microsoft. The MS deal may be meant to keep Nokia afloat while it does some internal soul searching. I would like to think (and maybe I'm just dreaming) that Nokia is still keeping Meego around so they have their own product to fall back on and put money into once their financials improve. There's no way MSFT would have partnered with Nokia in the first place if they were still externally promoting Meego as anything other than a research project with potential in the future.

The Following User Says Thank You to jackburton For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by spock View Post
I don't see why you assume Intel can't win in price/power in mobile. They have the best silicon technology in the world -- they just need to build the right chips out of it. Maybe Medfield is that chip? Have a look here:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/14/i...ve-longest-us/

They claim to have lower active power than ARM, which would be really interesting.
Color me skeptical. Intel hasn't yet managed to implement decent power-management, and I don't see what changed now.

And anyways, ARM already has good power management. If Intel wants to succeed, they need to differentiate and be different.

Tags
its just a fail, stop dreaming, windelnkiabumby