Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
I just find out about QuasarMX for the N9/N950.

I used Sigma Player before (free version) but it lagged from time to time when doing some other stuff (while the song is running in the background)

QuasarMX is still at beta stage but it works very great for me.
The UI is very slick!

The only feature that I'm missing is the equaliser. But this is coming soon!

Landscape supported

Official QuasarMX Website:
http://katastrophos.net/quasarmx/
new website:
https://www.meteorasoftworks.com

The beta is also available on the OVI Store.

Edit:
Soon available for Windows, OS X, Maemo, Android and Symbian.

Edit 2:
It's now available for Harmattan, Sailfish OS, Symbian, Android, Windows and Linux (Ubuntu)

Please buy the PRO version if you like it to support the developers!

Last edited by HtheB; 2014-07-22 at 08:49.

The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 83 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Germany, Oldenburg
Thanks for posting my app here!
The version for Fremantle / N900 will follow soon.

The Following 51 Users Say Thank You to evilJazz For This Useful Post:
When the graphic equalizer is added in it will be a truly awesome app.

Posts: 135 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ San Fran
Can it do playlists? Or favorites?

Posts: 256 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Europe
Originally Posted by evilJazz View Post
Thanks for posting my app here!
The version for Fremantle / N900 will follow soon.
Hey there,

I've just installed QuasarMX Beta on N9 PR1.1 and it works fine. Using Denon AH-C710 and the sound quality is very good. I am experiencing a few issues though. I hope we can talk about them in here.

For better understanding what's up, I keep my music as FLAC in */MyDocs/Music/Artist - Album (year) [FLAC]/*.flac

For example a path to a file:

*/MyDocs/Music/Pink Floyd - Division Bell (1994)/01 - Cluster One.flac

The issues so far, tested only with FLAC:
  • All items are listed twice (after doing 'scan for music')
  • If the internet connection is set to "no background transfers" the player does not initiate a new WLAN connection but just infinitely waits doing nothing .e.g if I want to download an album cover or submit listened tracks to last.fm. If the internet connection is set to be persistent so the phone never disconnects from WLAN; stays always online, all works okay.
  • Downloaded album covers do not show instantly. The player has to be restarted (unless this is intentional, if so, won't be very useful).

Apart from that:
  • Very good sound quality (way better than annoying Sigma Player). Looking forward to experiencing the equalizer. By default bass is quite flat.
  • last.fm wiki and scrobbling works okay (still, the internet connection has to be set to "always on")
  • Excellent UI, usability and ergonomics. Finally something foobar like.

If you have any questions or need more help with testing, don't hesitate to ask. I was quite looking forward for your player to show up.

Features I'd like to see if you will ever have time:
  • Accepting album art from local files
  • Ability to change playlist order under the list view (the 3rd option)

Last edited by DarkSkies; 2012-01-04 at 01:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSkies For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
Very good sound quality (way better than annoying Sigma Player). Looking forward to experiencing the equalizer. By default bass is quite flat.
Does the app have an effect on the sound quality? I thought they all use the same music player API.

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lima-Peru
Men i love this a new app coming for us great.
we have very good options now you can take ideas from them and add themto yours.
thank you

Have my N900 since 2010 and still is my main phone!

I'm Making money viewing Ads Here Now making money to donate to the forum

I've just installed QuasarMX Beta on N9 PR1.1 and it works fine. Using Denon AH-C710 and the sound quality is very good. I am experiencing a few issues though. I hope we can talk about them in here.
Thanks for testing!

• All items are listed twice (after doing 'scan for music')
Could you please send me the database file in /home/user/.config/Katastrophos Labs/quasar/quasar.sqlite3 to quasarmx@katastrophos.net (big files are okay). This file should help shed a light on why you have duplicates in your playlist.

• If the internet connection is set to "no background transfers" the player does not initiate a new WLAN connection but just infinitely waits doing nothing .e.g if I want to download an album cover or submit listened tracks to last.fm. If the internet connection is set to be persistent so the phone never disconnects from WLAN; stays always online, all works okay.
QuasarMX is very conservative in requesting new connections as I personally find it really annoying when applications constantly ask for internet connections (e.g. Nokia's Mail App). Either way, for imperative operations (e.g. "Download all covers" or Last.fm addon's "Submit now") it actually should ask. Probably fixed in next release.

• Downloaded album covers do not show instantly. The player has to be restarted (unless this is intentional, if so, won't be very useful).
Okay, will look into the issue.

• Accepting album art from local files
Should work out of the box. It looks for image files in the same directory that the music file is in.

• Ability to change playlist order under the list view (the 3rd option)
The playlist management should be completed in one of the next versions. Adjusting the sorting order is one of the features.

I hope to have a new beta ready by Sunday.

Thanks again for the feedback.

I would love to read more feedback or bug reports either here or emailed to quasarmx@katastrophos.net .

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to evilJazz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
Does the app have an effect on the sound quality? I thought they all use the same music player API.
QuasarMX supports many different back ends. It is using Qt Mobility on the N9 because this back end integrates best with the media stack and has the lowest power consumption.
Other back ends are Phonon, GStreamer and MPlayer. Phonon or GStreamer are probably what the other players use in order to get the EQ functionality. Most of the EQ filters do not use the DSP and as a matter of fact will drain the battery because the CPU has to do all the hard work.
I hope to have a better solution ready but it might take some time. I am brutally honest here, the EQ is low on my short-term to-do list. There are more pressing issues right now.

To answer your question: No, the player does not have any effect on the sound quality.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to evilJazz For This Useful Post:
Landscape mode switch would be great, auto rotation sometimes get annoying, great work dude

N9 64gb black

The Following User Says Thank You to zaoltryence For This Useful Post:

Tags
music, musicplayer, player, quasar, quasarmx