Active Topics

Well, I mentioned I saw Astra, and as it's a sat tv satellite, it is in geosynchronous orbit. But then again, I may be mistaken about seeing Astra... perhaps I just misread the name label.

Ok, good to know that the altitude is correct already (didn't realise you guys were so thorough); and indeed, it makes sense that the 100 most visible (man-made, i.e. not the moon) satellites are quite close to the earth. I guess those make a round trip in an hour or even less, and will be the ones most interesting to see in Marble, as they actually move quite visibly.
I clearly recall lying on the beach in the south of France many years ago and seeing a satellite move, and wondering what it was. Won't have that problem now anymore :-)

Anyway, I still think it would be good to have the GPS sats also show up, even if they are not visible, perhaps with a different setting, just to have the overview...

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Sofia, Bulgaria
Any updates?

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 535 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Karlsruhe, Germany
I've been travelling a lot recently and didn't find much time to work on new features / bugfixes. I hope to finish the next release this month though with support for bookmarks, OSRM as another routing backend, offline data management usability improvements and various minor fixes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
Thank you for the update. Looking forward to it

Great work, it is nicely polished.

Is it possible to expect transit (bus/subway/pedestrian) routing ?

Thanks for bringing marble to the n9.

Two questions though:

1.) Is voice navigation for bycicles supposed to work? For me it does not: The only sounds i get is: You have reached your destination and something like you left the route.

2.) In routing, how is it possible to remove a via point (like B,C,D) other than clearing all of them.

Thanks!

@KTy: So far I didn't find a suitable routing backend for transit routing. Mapquest (included in Marble already) claims to support transit routing, but I wasn't able to calculate a route with it yet. Possibly it works in quite limited regions only so far.
There's some work by Google and others to have cities contribute their schedules in a standardized way. It still has a long way to go, but may become a good choice at some future point.

@christianko: Currently three of our routing backends support bicycle routes: OpenRouteService, MapQuest and Monav. When OpenRouteService was used, the behavior you describe might occur because in Marble 1.3.2 we don't extract the turn type from OpenRouteService yet. That will change with 1.3.3. You can tell whether turn directions have been extracted by looking at the turn instruction list below the route via points: The icons on the left must be arrows / roundabout indicators, not "i" icons.
The other ones should work fine with voice navigation. Notice that for Monav you need to install 1) Monav Routing Daemon from the Ovi store (free) and also 2) one or more suitable bike maps (see Offline Data in Preferences) for the region you're travelling in.

@all: I expect Marble 1.3.3 to be released at the end of the month and hit the Ovi store few days later. Here's a quick list of the new features:
  • Support for bookmarks
  • Filtering in offline data management
  • Support for OSRM (Open Source Routing Machine) as another routing backend
  • Download (caching) of map tiles of the currently visible area

A more elaborated changelog alongside more screenshots can be found in this post.

If you feel brave, give the fresh build 1.3.2.2 a try. Thanks to all testers

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
Thanks, looks very nice !
In my city (Singapore) google offers such service... Unfortunatly no application on the N9 is using it

@KTy: From my experience Google's terms of usage restrict the usage of their services to websites and disallow important things like turn-by-turn navigation.

@all:
I created a new version 1.3.2.3 which could eventually become 1.3.3. One last thing I've been working on this evening is some polishing for the initial screen, where still some icons are missing. Unfortunately there's a lack of activity within KDE's icon creators and I miss the required designer skills, so I'm searching for a different icon set. I tried some icons from thenounproject.com, resulting in this (left old, right new):

It's not total crap, but nothing to ship either. How do you like those icons, are they self-explaining? Any designers around to polish things up? The white rectangle gradient looks rather silly still and having a 3D colored background object against a monochrome foreground doesn't feel absolutely right to me as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
Once again, thank you for your great work! The new icons don't look all bad, but if you want to try something new, I can suggest that you look at the Faenza Icon Theme on GNOME-Look. I have chosen some icons from that theme that might be suitable replacements.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: gz marble-icons-faenza.tar.gz (92.8 KB, 151 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to YavkatA For This Useful Post: