Active Topics

Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ New Zealand
Ok I found a far easier/quicker way to import your contacts back from your exported contacts, all those pesky .vcf files.

Unfortunately the second step being importing through a file manager doesn't seem to work properly pre PR1.2, definitely not on PR1.1 and it's probably the same on PR1.0. Pre 1.2 it will only show the first contact instead of listing them all.
The merging of your contacts into one .vcf file still does work if that has any benefits.

Once you've exported your contacts to file, they are automatically saved to MyDocs/Contacts, or say if you've copied your contact folder back onto your N9, I'd recommend copying them back there to keep the following terminal code the same.
You may want to make an extra backup copy of your contacts folder but this should be safe enough.

You'll need to activate developer mode to access the terminal, well its an easy way at least.

Open terminal and enter the following:

Code:
cd /home/usr/MyDocs/Contacts

cat *.vcf > allcontacts.vcf
And voila, all your contacts are in one single .vcf file called allcontacts.vcf, it's located in the same contacts folder, now you can open allcontacts.vcf from a file manager like filebox, mark all, then import.

Done, your welcome.

Last edited by HanzBlix; 2012-03-29 at 06:32. Reason: minor touch ups

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to HanzBlix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 123 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Setubal, Portugal
If it works, its genious!

Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Wow! Thank you!!! Could someone make a nice app and put it at the nokia store?

it's work thank you

Originally Posted by Makeclick View Post
Wow! Thank you!!! Could someone make a nice app and put it at the nokia store?
I'm looking into it, I actually considered holding off on this thread until I'd at least ruled out app possibilities, but considering the frustration that led me to find that magic little line, well it was rude not to.

No promises though.

The Following User Says Thank You to HanzBlix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 123 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Setubal, Portugal
Wooo! It worked flawlessly, but the command line is not that special.
I use to do this at oldie MS-Dos

Originally Posted by tiiagoFernandez View Post
Wooo! It worked flawlessly, but the command line is not that special.
I use to do this at oldie MS-Dos
Haha agreed, the magic is in the simplicity, much like the White Stripes, no?
Perhaps using a term that represents nothing in reality is inappropriate though.

hi,

I've manage to create the allcontacts.vcf file and successfully imported all contacts to my Google account.

However, when I open the file using Filebox, it only shows the first person, If I try to save contacts, it only saves the first contact.

So how do I import all the contacts in the allcontacts.vcf file back to my phone?

That's weird, you didn't accidentally select one of the other contact files instead of the allcontacts.vcf by chance? It'd be either that or somehow importing to the google account messed up the file, though I can't imagine why the latter would be the case, plus I can't think of many things worse than giving google all my contacts so I won't test if that actually messed up the file.

So long as you haven't deleted all of the individual .vcf files of course, you could try deleting the allcontacts.vcf then run the terminal command again,
Literally all you have to do after running the concatenate command is open the allcontacts.vcf file, select the "mark all" button down the bottom, then click the import button.

It should look like this:

Then:

It shouldn't look like this:

If it does look like the last image, then there's only one contact in your allcontacts.vcf file, which doesn't make sense if all of your contacts successfully uploaded to google from that allcontacts.vcf file.

So yeah make sure you didn't accidentally select the wrong .vcf file.

Last edited by HanzBlix; 2012-03-24 at 03:55. Reason: coz i can

Hanzblix, tks for your reply!

no, i did not open the wrong file. Is it a Filebox setting? My version is 0.0.9 from Ovi Store. What i see is the single contact view that you've shown.