Active Topics

Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ New Zealand
No probs, well I'm not sure if It's the latest version of filebox but I'm using 0.09 as well.

The only settings I've changed in filebox are:
Show root file system = enabled
Show hidden files = enabled

Setting show thumbnails to enabled makes filebox crash frequently for me so I'd avoid that one for now.
I don't think those settings should affect it but any thing’s possible I suppose.

Can you confirm that all your exported .vcf files are still in the /home/user/MyDocs/Contacts/ directory?

if so, delete your allcontacts.vcf file.
Then do the following terminal command from the first post:

cd /home/user/MyDocs/Contacts
cat *.vcf > allcontacts.vcf

If you want it all in one line this should do the same thing also:

cat /home/user/MyDocs/Contacts/*.vcf > allcontacts.vcf

These commands should be entered exactly as shown, for example; *.vcf represents all .vcf files in that directory.

If you want to examine the .vcf file more deeply....

The easier option is to copy the allcontacts.vcf file to your computer and open it in a text editor like notepad.
Alternately, if you want to do it straight off the phone you could try installing nano, a text editor in the store, then in the terminal type:

nano /home/user/MyDocs/Contacts/allcontacts.vcf

.vcf files are really just text files behind the scenes.

it should look something like this:

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:3.0
UID:0598c850-499f-4844-96ea-8e4aea13ca80
N:OFF;CALLSCREEN;;;
TEL;TYPE=VOICE:##21**11#
REV:2011-12-21T19:43:28+11:00
END:VCARD
UID:97add350-0bc6-4c82-bdc7-a1d043e48f82
N:ON;CALLSCREEN;;;
TEL;TYPE=VOICE:**21*128*11#
UID:6001002c-c5a5-40cf-91c8-b42136ede52e
N:OFF;CALL HOLD;;;
TEL;TYPE=VOICE:#43#
REV:2011-12-21T19:43:27+11:00
UID:a2c5ef2c-9aaa-4473-aa65-6cb3c8403ac9
N:ON;CALL HOLD;;;
TEL;TYPE=VOICE:*43#

Bare in mind that if you have any photos assigned to contacts the photos will be represented by big blocks of text like the following:
PHOTO;TYPE=PNG;ENCODING=b:iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAA AMAAAACQCAIAAADRMPOnAAAAA3NCSVQICAjb4U/gAAAACXBIWXMAAAuJAAALiQE3ycutAAAgAElEQVR4nKS9Wa8kR 5YmdmzzPfblrpk3mclkVZPFHk5Vdc/09KDRggBh9KR+EiBA6IEESRAkSEBD0pN+mIB+kp6kxtRoqlhdV SSTSd

but they'll be far far far bigger than that, so it'll take a fair bit of digging to see around them.

but basically if there is only one set of BEGIN:VCARD and END:VCARD, then there is only one contact in the file. If there are lots of contacts in the file there will be lots of BEGIN:VCARD END:VCARD blocks

for example:
contact details like numbers, emails etc.
= a single contact in the file

vs

=lots of contacts in the file.

Btw I recommend against posting the contents of your .vcf files on any forum, my real examples at the top were from non private contacts that I believe are specific to my particular network even if they work on other networks there's no real issue having them posted online.

Last edited by HanzBlix; 2012-03-24 at 05:43. Reason: coz i can

hi, tks again. I checked and the allcontact file does contain multiple contacfs.

is there a command line i can use via terminal to import the contacts?

Originally Posted by snowparang View Post
hi, tks again. I checked and the allcontact file does contain multiple contacfs.

is there a command line i can use via terminal to import the contacts?
You may import the vcf files via terminal following this.

Aw guts that it's not importing like it should for ya, it may be worth removing filebox then reinstalling it on the off chance it had some kinda bug there, I haven’t had any other feedback regarding other peoples phone's not managing to view them like normal so I'm really not sure if it's to do with the file manager, but it definitely seems like a bug somewhere and that you've done nothing wrong etc. If that fails I'm low of idea's really.

I haven’t found any terminal only solution as yet but it turns out there's this Vcard importer which should hopefully do the job for ya, courtesy of admiral0:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...vcard+importer

I may be wrong about some details but I think you have to install a deb then run a cmd line, I'm hoping it doesn't involve actually naming every .vcf file as that would be a massive PIA just like importing each contact individually, but I'm not sure since I haven’t tried it out, if that's the case it might work on your allcontacts file instead of naming each individual one, if you're lucky.

BTW just out of interest, what PR version are you on? and if say you're on PR1.1 or PR1.2, did you do OTA update or was it a clean install via flash? It's purely out of interest mind you, in case I try to implement something further.

Originally Posted by HanzBlix View Post
Aw guts that it's not importing like it should for ya, it may be worth removing filebox then reinstalling it on the off chance it had some kinda bug there,.
I did. Still not working.

Originally Posted by HanzBlix View Post
BTW just out of interest, what PR version are you on? and if say you're on PR1.1 or PR1.2, did you do OTA update or was it a clean install via flash? It's purely out of interest mind you, in case I try to implement something further.
PR1.1, OTA update. It was not a flash but I did a factory reset once in PR1.1.

Still waiting for PR1.2 in my region and carrier specific type.

Just to update that Filebox now opens the allcontacts.vcf, showing multiple contacts!

The changes? I updated to PR1.2.

Tks guys for the help and this useful tip.

Oh I missed gionni88's comment, that cancels out what I said about vcardimporter , sweet though, I wondered if it was the PR version by the end but I'd only discovered that method since I had updated to 1.2 so I didn't have much to go on beyond a guess.
I'll update my first post that it only works from PR1.2.

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Athens, GR
So before i try this out, what will happen if i have some few contacts already in my contact list and i try to mark all from that file and import them? Will it overwrite whichever contact already exists in contact list, or will it create duplicate entries?

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
you will get duplicates

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post: