$subj says it all. Trying to figure out whether the n900 could use t-mobile's new 4g, before signing up for a 2yr contracr to get the new htc 4g android ...

It can't. It needs to have a '4G' radio built in (really LTE and not 4G, but thats the marketing term), which the N900 was not built with.

thanks ...

I was under the impression that T-mobile's 4G is actually 3G HSPA+

If this is the case, the N900 IS capable of utilizing it (and I think it does at the moment. See several other threads with speeds of 8-10mbps. I've even posted a screenshot somewhere here).

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Macon, GA | Warsaw, PL | Hanoi, VN
N900 is only capable of HSDPA 10.2, which means 10Mbps download speed is the highest it is going to achieve.

T-Mobile's so-called 4G is a HSPA+ with a theoretical maximum download speed of 21Mbps. Unfortunately, N900 will not be able to get that much.

Originally Posted by netfortius View Post
$subj says it all. Trying to figure out whether the n900 could use t-mobile's new 4g, before signing up for a 2yr contracr to get the new htc 4g android ...
T-Mobile's "4G" marketing term just refers to what other carriers call 3.5G or HSPA+. As other people have mentioned, the N900 handles 3.5G just fine, and gets very impressive speeds, if you have high-speed data coverage available. (It doesn't necessarily get the maximum speed possible on the network, but it certainly beats 2.5G/3G.)

If you already have an N900, then you can use T-Mobile's contract-free "Even More Plus" plans. I'd suggest signing up for a trial of one of those, to evaluate the service and how well it works with your N900. (In my case, I've found that it works marvelously everywhere except at home, where I get abysmal signal (intermittent with 0-1 bars).

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside
Near LAX I've gotten just shy of 9 Mbps. Works well with Mobilehotspot

"The Cake Is A Lie"

4G USB dongle + USB host mode? Would make for an interesting experiment

The Following User Says Thank You to jflatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by DDRFAN View Post
It can't. It needs to have a '4G' radio built in (really LTE and not 4G, but thats the marketing term), which the N900 was not built with.
The N900 has the Band IV radio T-Mobile uses for it's "4G" network in the US. I have gotten in excess of 5Mb/s download using the N900 on this network. I cannot speak to T-Mobile "4G" in other countries.

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by josh View Post
T-Mobile's "4G" marketing term just refers to what other carriers call 3.5G or HSPA+. As other people have mentioned, the N900 handles 3.5G just fine, and gets very impressive speeds, if you have high-speed data coverage available. (It doesn't necessarily get the maximum speed possible on the network, but it certainly beats 2.5G/3G.)

If you already have an N900, then you can use T-Mobile's contract-free "Even More Plus" plans. I'd suggest signing up for a trial of one of those, to evaluate the service and how well it works with your N900. (In my case, I've found that it works marvelously everywhere except at home, where I get abysmal signal (intermittent with 0-1 bars).
According to Phonescoop.com (quoting engadget) T-Mobile has dropped the "evenmore plus"
plans from its web sites offerings.