Notices

Hi Guys,

I was playing with "Transmission" yesterday when it got hung up pretty bad and became almost unresponsive. I tried to switch it off using the button on top, but it did not work, hence I I had to switch off the device by removing its battery. At that time I also had MicroB running,

Once I switched it on, I am constantly getting the following error message:
"Internal Error. Application 'Web' closed."

This message keeps popping up every few seconds(irrespective of whether I start microb or not) and when I try to start Microb from menu, it just does not start (starts with a black window and then crashes/closes immediately).

I searched on the forum and tried to remove the microb folder under /home/user/.mozilla

But the problem persists even after reboot. I Tried looking into the folder /home/user/.mozilla/microb and could see some file called "lock" and below its written "Broken Symlink".

Does anyone has any clue about this?????

Need your help guys, urgently.

Regards
AK

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
It's likely that your optfs got borked. Best thing in my opinion is backup your MyDocs folder (don't forget hidden files if any) - then reflash both rootfs and eMMC and start over. If you have a recent backup done with the stock backup application, you're going to get your data and programs reloaded, too.
If you have backupmenu you could try to make a full check of filesystems before booting the maemo gui, but don't be so confident that everything gets restored in the pristine state.

Beware that Transmission has been known to be dangerous for the file system were it builds the downloaded file, especially when it is interrupted in its operation.

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
It's likely that your optfs got borked. Best thing in my opinion is backup your MyDocs folder (don't forget hidden files if any) - then reflash both rootfs and eMMC and start over. If you have a recent backup done with the stock backup application, you're going to get your data and programs reloaded, too.
If you have backupmenu you could try to make a full check of filesystems before booting the maemo gui, but don't be so confident that everything gets restored in the pristine state.

Beware that Transmission has been known to be dangerous for the file system were it builds the downloaded file, especially when it is interrupted in its operation.
Hmm...I shall try it and post the result, Thanks for the guidance....

I checked the "OptFs" partition using BackupMenu (ver 0.62), and it displayed following message------

Checking the OptFs...
Errors may have been encountered: Code:8
fsck.ext3: A block group is missing an inode table while checking ext3 journal for /dev/mmcblk0p2

Any idea anyone what does that mean?????

Is flashing the only remedy????

Need you help....

Regards
AK

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I'd try this way:
Backupmenu, option "w" that exposes the optfs to mass storage

connect through usb to a linux machine

now open terminal in your linux machine, become root, see what device corresponds to your optfs (I use the mount command without parameters which lists all the mounted partitions but I bet there are other better ways) - might be e.g. /dev/sdb2 or another

Then in the same root terminal give umount /dev/sdb2 (of course use the name of your partition, here sdb2 is only an example)
then fsck.ext3 -y /dev/sdb2

If you're particularly lucky it might heal your optfs.

Then disconnect, reboot n900 and see if it worked.

In case it doesn't, before you flash rootfs & eMMC, you could also reformat your optfs by connecting to a host computer like described above and using mkfs.ext3 after umounting instead of fsck'ing. If the partition table of your eMMC is not completely kaputt, it could save you the time to backup and restore your MyDocs partition. Of course, you'd have to reflash firmware in the same way, or restore rootfs and optfs from backupmenu in case you had a recent backup.

I'd try this way:
Backupmenu, option "w" that exposes the optfs to mass storage

connect through usb to a linux machine

now open terminal in your linux machine, become root, see what device corresponds to your optfs (I use the mount command without parameters which lists all the mounted partitions but I bet there are other better ways) - might be e.g. /dev/sdb2 or another

Then in the same root terminal give umount /dev/sdb2 (of course use the name of your partition, here sdb2 is only an example)
then fsck.ext3 -y /dev/sdb2

If you're particularly lucky it might heal your optfs.

Then disconnect, reboot n900 and see if it worked.

In case it doesn't, before you flash rootfs & eMMC, you could also reformat your optfs by connecting to a host computer like described above and using mkfs.ext3 after umounting instead of fsck'ing. If the partition table of your eMMC is not completely kaputt, it could save you the time to backup and restore your MyDocs partition. Of course, you'd have to reflash firmware in the same way, or restore rootfs and optfs from backupmenu in case you had a recent backup.
Now....as I do not have any linux machine guess I am only left with the option of flashing rootfs and optfs. Also, in the absence of any latest backup, i shall have to reinstall all my apps all over again...whew...

Guess this weekend will be dedicated to restoration of my n900......

Anyways, thanks a ton for all your help mate....

Regards
AK