Notices

Posts: 561 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
I need to play videos in 1208x720 on my N900.

Do any of the players available allows this?

Mplayer says I can not and native player fails

n900s screen is 800x480. do the math.

The Following User Says Thank You to tHMZ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 62 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ San Jose, Costa Rica
800x480 is enough for me. HD content for such a small screen.

Nuff said

Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
Originally Posted by WhiteWolf View Post
I need to play videos in 1208x720 on my N900.

Do any of the players available allows this?

Mplayer says I can not and native player fails
I've done some tests in the past and found that the problem is with hardware acceleration and picture resizing. If you bypass that then you'll be able to play the videos, but a bit slower.

One way is to open the video from the command line using mplayer:

Code:
mplayer -vo x11 -zoom myvideo
which will use the x11 method which in turn performs software video scaling. Another way is to scale it by hand and use the xv driver, but I don't find it to be faster:

Code:
mplayer -vo xv -vf scale=XXX:YYY myvideo
where XXX and YYY are the dimensions to scale to. They must be smaller or equal to screen's dimensions (864x648 if i'm correct) so you need to do some math first to get a correct aspect ration. For 1280x720 the scaled values are 864x486.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to v13 For This Useful Post:
why dont you try converting videos as told in the steps below in this blog.
I am really satisfied by the seting they provided ...

really thnx to ...them

http://techien.blogspot.com/2011/01/...okia-n900.html

Originally Posted by v13 View Post
I've done some tests in the past and found that the problem is with hardware acceleration and picture resizing. If you bypass that then you'll be able to play the videos, but a bit slower.

One way is to open the video from the command line using mplayer:

Code:
mplayer -vo x11 -zoom myvideo
which will use the x11 method which in turn performs software video scaling. Another way is to scale it by hand and use the xv driver, but I don't find it to be faster:

Code:
mplayer -vo xv -vf scale=XXX:YYY myvideo
where XXX and YYY are the dimensions to scale to. They must be smaller or equal to screen's dimensions (864x648 if i'm correct) so you need to do some math first to get a correct aspect ration. For 1280x720 the scaled values are 864x486.
Thanks for the alternative.

My problem is I have to check where recordings are made and have that resolution. I've had no problems so far but never used much resolution videos. The extract from the cameras the way to a MicroSD and insert it in the N900.

Originally Posted by tHMZ View Post
n900s screen is 800x480. do the math.
Comment that it is very important to screen size, viewing videos on my PC 1080p and my monitor does not reach that resolution.

I'll try to see if I use the suggested.

Thanks again.

If you plan to watch videos in mplayer, I've noticed that SMS/Email/notifications make mplayer go corrupted "green-screen" in certain situations. So try putting your phone in airplane mode first, and verify your clock alarms are off!

Look for details on the -lavdopts option. For higher-res videos I tend to use: -lavdopts fast=true:skiploopfilter=bidir:lores=1

Overclocking is a must for high-res video playback and mkvs.

If transcoding to a smaller size is an option, I find that for reasonably-compressed video on the phone's screen, 480x320 looks just as good as a full 800x480. For 1280x720 video, this would be 480x300. This will perform better, improve battery life, and help you save disk space!

The options: -lavdopts fast=true:skiploopfilter=bidir:lores=1

I can play them with ease if you resize to 640x320.

Thanks wumpwoast and v13

Tags
forget it, no you don't, sure you don't