Notices

Here we go for the French update.

I found a small problem though - a very common one with such translations, actually.

In this .po snippet we have a new setting, "Scrollbar Size".

Its two values, "Small" and "Large", were already translated in the previous .po file so they're going to be re-used.

Except that in the first case, they referred to a "Style", which in French is a masculine noun. And now they refer to a "Scrollbar", for which the usual translation is a feminine noun. So we should have "Grand" and "Petit" in one place, "Grande" and "Petite" in another...

For now, as a workaround I have changed the "Scrollbar" translation to a less common, but still correct, equivalent... which happens to be masculine :-)
Attached Files
File Type: txt po-fr.txt (831 Bytes, 142 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Not good... In Italian there is the same problem. Plus, for the scrollbar I used the Italian translations of "narrow" and wide", feminine gender, while for chars I used masculine translations of "small" and "large".

Now, I can't find an Italian masculine term for scrollbar.

So perhaps conny could differentiate the qualifiers for characters and scrollbars? This could allow a more common French term for the latter, too.

Posts: 654 | Thanked: 664 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Here we go for the French update.
Thanks a lot

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
I found a small problem though - a very common one with such translations, actually.

In this .po snippet we have a new setting, "Scrollbar Size".

Its two values, "Small" and "Large", were already translated in the previous .po file so they're going to be re-used.

Except that in the first case, they referred to a "Style", which in French is a masculine noun. And now they refer to a "Scrollbar", for which the usual translation is a feminine noun. So we should have "Grand" and "Petit" in one place, "Grande" and "Petite" in another...

For now, as a workaround I have changed the "Scrollbar" translation to a less common, but still correct, equivalent... which happens to be masculine :-)
That's a very good point. I was already worried that something like that will happen, but it's my first translatable app, so I had no experiences...
Well, now I know and I'll consider it for the next version.

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Not good... In Italian there is the same problem. Plus, for the scrollbar I used the Italian translations of "narrow" and wide", feminine gender, while for chars I used masculine translations of "small" and "large".

Now, I can't find an Italian masculine term for scrollbar.

So perhaps conny could differentiate the qualifiers for characters and scrollbars? This could allow a more common French term for the latter, too.
Ah ok, I see, then we probably should have that in this version already. The problem is that it's not so easy to change right now. Currently the keys are also the English "translation". I know this is not optimal, but I thought I'll take care of that later. So to differentiate the translations I need to differentiate the keys. I could do this by introducing keys like "scrollbar_size_small" and "font_size_small" or by using new English strings like "wide" and "narrow".

I like the first version better, but it will take much more time. What do you think: Is there a good English synonym for big/small regarding the scrollbars?

Originally Posted by conny View Post
What do you think: Is there a good English synonym for big/small regarding the scrollbars?
English is not my mother tongue but narrow and wide seems quite appropriate in my opinion, and would solve the gender problem in more sexualized languages (oh la la'!)

English is not my mother tongue but narrow and wide seems quite appropriate in my opinion, and would solve the gender problem in more sexualized languages (oh la la'!)
Hmm... I don't like the word "narrow" here so much. I think I would go with "thick/thin" but I'm not a native speaker too
For now it should be ok and in the next version there will be unique strings for everything. Could you send me the translations for:

Scrollbar: thick / thin
Fontsize: small / large

Then I'll but it into the po file tonight.

Originally Posted by conny View Post
Could you send me the translations for:

Scrollbar: thick / thin
Fontsize: small / large.
Barra di scorrimento: larga / stretta
Dimensione dei caratteri: piccola / grande

Thinking twice, it could be "piccola / grande" for both - now they're both feminine

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Barra di scorrimento: larga / stretta
Dimensione dei caratteri: piccola / grande
I'm using those now. I'm too tired to make the release today, I probably forgot something important anyways. Hopefully I'll do it tomorrow, so there's still some time to change the French translation if needed.
For the next version I intend to fix this in a proper way.

The current po files can be seen here:
https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/scm...o/?root=conboy

Thanks for your help

Good news everyone

I just released version 0.5.0! It should be available as usual through the extras repository for Chinook, Diablo and Fremantle.

Changes in this release:
  • Added full text search
  • Added settings dialog
  • Added setting to switch between small and large scroll bars
  • Added setting to show note window or search window on startup
  • Added settings to change colors
  • Added support for portrait mode in Fremantle
  • Added italian translation (Thanks to debernardis)
  • Updated the UI for Fremantle
  • Updated french translation (Thanks to fpp)
  • Bug fixes

With this release I'm officially claiming to have the first orientation aware Fremantle application Hopefully we get some devices soon to test it out...

If you find bugs or you have feature requests, please discuss here or (even better) directly file a bug:
https://bugs.maemo.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Conboy

Enjoy!
Conny
Attached Images

Last edited by conny; 2009-06-28 at 09:42. Reason: Added screenshots

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to conny For This Useful Post:

My first note had several level of indentations.
Saved, closed.
Several hours re-opened, and lots of it *lacked* - the text was simply missing while bullets were still there.

Also, when I try to nuke this note, the program exits and when started again that note is still in the list.
Started the program from command line, it says ERROR: The note with the guid [insert long alphanumeric string] could not be deleted.
So I created a new note and deleted the offending one. Allright? Nope. When program is restarted, the zombie note from hell shows again.

Go to xterm, cd .conboy, ls -a, here's the stupid note. Kill it. Start over.

Last edited by debernardis; 2009-06-28 at 15:10.

Tags
conboy, grauphel