newsbot | Posts: 94 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2005
I managed to borrow a digital caliper from a friend of mine at the office
to accurately measure the height and width of the the Nokia 770, so screen
protector makers (most are from the asian region), can start creating their
molds, and not wait until next year for Nokia to release the 770 in Asia.

I took pictures of the width (91.65 mm), width (55.47 mm), and a corner
(rounded) as seen below.

Screen protector makers, please do send us samples! ...
Read the full article.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Midlands, UK
Originally Posted by newsbot
Read the full article.
UK interim solution:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...03&postcount=7

jaycee

Last edited by jaycee; 2005-12-20 at 16:57. Reason: Added a title

You are risking REAL trouble if you continue to use your 770 without a protector. I just noticed last night that I have wear spots where I've been using the soft KB. ARGH!! I got a PDA Cleaning Kit. Will wash and buff the screen and see if that helps. Then I will be installing the Fellowes Universal WriteRight. Will report back later.

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Virginia Beach, VA USA
I am thinking of making a screen protector, at least in the short term, out of a sheet of transparency or something similar. I don't have my 770 yet, so I need to know... how much room is there to tuck something under the frame of the screen? (i.e., how much bigger than the screen do I need to cut a sheet of plastic to slide under the screen frame and work as a screen protector?) Could somebody with a 770 try sliding something under each of the four sides and measure?

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Germany
Could somebody with a 770 try sliding something under each of the four sides and measure?
There are aprox. 2-3mm under each side.
But i think you'll always have small particles between the transparency and the screen which will scratch the screen while the transparency is moving.

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Virginia Beach, VA USA
Originally Posted by StevenS
There are aprox. 2-3mm under each side.
But i think you'll always have small particles between the transparency and the screen which will scratch the screen while the transparency is moving.
If you measure it right it shouldn't move. I've used something similar (not homemade, but the same design) on all three of my Palms and not a scratch. The key is the right sizing and making sure the screen is clean when you install it.

Originally Posted by Lord Bodak
If you measure it right it shouldn't move. I've used something similar (not homemade, but the same design) on all three of my Palms and not a scratch. The key is the right sizing and making sure the screen is clean when you install it.
I used to do the same with my Palm V. Just a bit of clear plastic cut to the exact right size. Just slipped under the edges of the case. Didn't move and protected the screen well. Bit ot trial and effort to get the first one right but once you've cut one to the right shape you remove it and use it to make a template to cut others later on.

I dont like the idea of having something loose on top of the screen as stuff will get between the screen and the protector and that will just cause worse scratches!

To tell you the truth, I have zero wear marks on my screen,.I'm surprised and I use it every day since I got it 3 weeks ago.

You just haven't *seen* the marks yet.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...=5014#post5014

Look on eBay, there are some sellers offering 770-specific screen protectors for some time now. Perhaps you could persuade them into sending samples. If not, they're not too expensive.