Closed Thread
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Okay.
Just rename MeEgo to maemo and all problems are solved!

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Interesting, however I'm not sure what Valério was supposed to do with this info except sit on it. Briefing the whole council would make more sense (because at least then they can discuss something useful amongst themselves), this feels more like informing for the sake of being able to say they informed (or perhaps because that was the best they were able to get).
they should of told all the council imo.
b/c i leaked the news hours before the event any way atleast they would not of had a shock and worried

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Well, he was supposed to be a community proxy and be involved, but it sounds like it didn't work out that way.
As much as it frustrates me, I just don't see any other way two large companies like Intel and Nokia could really have gone about this. In the end, money talks and a big PR move like this brings a lot more interest than having a pow-wow with your community.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
As much as it frustrates me, I just don't see any other way two large companies like Intel and Nokia could really have gone about this. In the end, money talks and a big PR move like this brings a lot more interest than having a pow-wow with your community.
I totally agree

At a minimum they could have sent us a heads up prior to posting it on their blog.

Thats all I'm saying
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I had decided to run for council again as I said mainly for transition and project continuation/closure purposes. Unless the idea of a council is utterly killed by some entity with clout, I will still do so.
I believe no entity except maemo.org itself can kill council.

There's a status quo to dissolve now and a new one to build. The former causes anxiety; the latter stimulates the creative juices.

No matter what the outcome, I'm going to stick around and try to bring closure to my (too many) pet projects. Help wind things down if nothing else. I owe that to the community that put me in the position of being part of something grand. If it had not been for that, I might not have ever seen Amsterdam (I don't get out much) and I am still glowing from that wonderful experience.

Some of those projects, like Brainstorm improvements, the Maemo User Experience Framework and even community outreach may very well have a place at the MeeGo table. I hope so, and hope to help out if nothing else.
I hope we don't have complete dissolution - some projects remain and some find a home at MeeGo.

Bottom line I want to thank everyone here for putting up with my madness. No matter what, my goal was to help you any way I could.
Thank you for your work.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
So, a very simple question then, to the Council:

- can you ask the following question from Nokia (and via them Intel/Linux Foundation):

-- Can maemo community decide to move over to meego and will Nokia help implement such move, if the decision is yes?

(I thought about a 3rd cascaded question, but it is still morning ;-) )

This would clarify the possibilities. If the answer from Nokia is "No", then we are on our own and can decide to keep maemo community as it is, or rename it to meegocommunity.org or ... If the answer is "yes" from Nokia, then we can pick to move to meego.com, too.

So, the council could help perform the first 2 steps:
- check for constraints from N/I/LF
- poll the maemo community for direction

Vote on the N900 in the Engadget Awards!
My continously built proposal(-devel) for maemo.org community.
Do you want to save your favourite thing about maemo & community? Make sure you list it here.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RenegadeFanboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I'd like that question to be very specific. Nokia said a while ago that it was committed to the community being comprised of developers, enthusiasts and end users. I'd like to see some sort of commitment that end users are still wanted, since they don't seem to feature in the moblin landscape at all.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
I'd like that question to be very specific. Nokia said a while ago that it was committed to the community being comprised of developers, enthusiasts and end users.
Good point, in my head all things (news/planet, end user/power user/community member/community champion/council/developer, bug, brainstorm, testing squad, forum) is part of the community.

Very good point to clarify the meaning of community for Nokia too. Thanks.

Vote on the N900 in the Engadget Awards!
My continously built proposal(-devel) for maemo.org community.
Do you want to save your favourite thing about maemo & community? Make sure you list it here.

The Following User Says Thank You to RenegadeFanboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Interesting, however I'm not sure what Valério was supposed to do with this info except sit on it.
Produce a quote as a community member and developer about the merge.

Briefing the whole council would make more sense (because at least then they can discuss something useful amongst themselves), this feels more like informing for the sake of being able to say they informed (or perhaps because that was the best they were able to get).
I think that was the initial idea, but got dismissed not sure why, probably to avoid leaks. Afaik even people working at Maemo devices and close to Nokia didn't knew about this merge, of course that's all about marketing.
Telling a community guy about the merge worth nothing for the community in general, but that action showed at least that they trust the people inside the community.

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
I'd like that question to be very specific. Nokia said a while ago that it was committed to the community being comprised of developers, enthusiasts and end users. I'd like to see some sort of commitment that end users are still wanted, since they don't seem to feature in the moblin landscape at all.
IMHO the end users is what makes our community unique, they provide very valuable input(a lot of noise also ), it's a shame that some people don't see things that way.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
council