Active Topics

newsbot | Posts: 94 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2005
Nokia and CompUSA released a press release today announcing that CompUSA
will be selling the most advanced Nokia devices. Termed as "Nokia
Experience @ CompUSA", CompUSA is now displaying and selling the Nokia N90
mobile flip phone with an integrated 2-megapixel camera Carl Zeiss lens,
the Nokia 6682 with a 1.3-megapixel camera, and of course, our most loved
Nokia 770. Two hundred CompUSA locations now carry these Nokia products,
and all other locations withh have them by Febuary, 2006.

[LINK: /content/view/157/2/] Read the full Press Release....
Read the full article.

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
My Nokia Experience at CompUSA.
CompUSA had it listed for $399
I mentioned that the CompUSA.com had the device listed at $379 and the MSRP is actually only $359. The sales drone said "That's for web orders only." I calmly corrected him by informing him that the that CompUSA.com entry for the Nokia 770 was (actually still is) listed as "pick-up only - not available online"

He goes away for a moment and comes back to inform me that he can split the difference between the MSRP (making the price $369 but only if I buy the extended warranty which will cover me for an additional year after the manufacturer warranty and cover glass breakage. The cost of the service plan? Another $39. Fine. Whatever. I'll take it. I paid and left.

After looking over the fine print and receipt, apparently they only sold me the one-year warranty (Salesman made me think it was a one-year ADDITIONAL warranty) and it does not cover screen breakage for that year - it covers a ONE TIME replacement.

Basically, CompUSA misrepresented just about everything involved in this sale. I would suggest going directly to Nokia.

Okay back home - I am looking at my receipt:
Nokia 770 Internet Tablet - $369.99
TAP 1 YR REPLC $350 - $39.99
TAX - $28.86

Total- $438.84

Yeah.

The Following User Says Thank You to thoughtfix For This Useful Post:
That "Pickup only" means you buy it online (for $380), then go in and get it later that day. That's what I did.

My advice? Return everything, pay online for pick-up, and spend the extra money for a 512MB MMCmobile ($40).

But then you'd have to go for a day without the 770 and thats gonna be tough

Perhaps - but I think the smarmy sales drone was the worst part of the whole ordeal. I'm pretty sure that he could've matched the CompUSA.com price or even the Nokia.com price if he wanted to - but he gets more bonus points for selling the service plan.

If the service plan was actually covering it for an additional year and not a "one replacement in the first year" I'd be happy. That's what I THOUGHT I was buying. I just checked my bag, Nokia box, and receipts and received NO paperwork on the service plan prior to purchase nor was I offered any. I had to look up the details online.

Yeah i see what u mean. if the clerk had been really helpful and u paid the same price, u'd prolly be a lot happier.

Two things about CompUSA I learned the hard way:
1. Save all of your paperwork and know exactly where it is. If you ever need to use their maintenance agreements, you have to present the paper, or they will not honor it, at all. They have absolutely nothing on computer to "look it up".
2. If they ask what happened, tell them you don't know. Period.

I bought an iBook about five years ago, with a 3-year plan. The keyboard got a few drops of water dripped on it, and made the X and Z keys not work. I scrambled for the documents, and couldn't find them. I had to hassle them for a month to honor it with no paperwork, before they did. Then they asked me what happened, and I told them. I told the truth, and they said, "That is abuse - We don't cover abuse." If I would have simply said, "I dunno", they would have covered it.

Just say: "Who knows what went wrong?". That's not a lie -- it is merely a rhetorical question.

Originally Posted by michaelalanjones
Two things about CompUSA I learned the hard way:
1. Save all of your paperwork and know exactly where it is. If you ever need to use their maintenance agreements, you have to present the paper, or they will not honor it, at all. They have absolutely nothing on computer to "look it up".
Not only have I taken to keeping electronics paperwork, but I have a spot in my bedroom closet with a stack of ORIGINAL BOXES for either in-warranty items (I put the warranty expiration date on a post-it on the side of the box) or big-ticket items for resale (laptop, etc.)

With quality control what it is, it's the only way to go. Whatever happened to Six Sigma anyway?

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I bought mine at a CompUSA in Troy Michigan (we got the last two boxes). $379.99, $402 after taxes. Then declared it at the Canadian border like good boys, and had to pay GST (7%) and PST (8%). Around $60. Total cost was around $520 CDN.

The only negative aspect to the whole thing was the sales person talking to some cheerleader types about iPods for 10 mins while I stood there staring at the boxes. I almost got someone else to blow his comission, meh.

Today there has been another price drop at compusa. It is now $349, go see for
yourself. I think I'll give up waiting for my nokiausa order!
Attached Images