Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
come on ste-phan..It is about providing support and maintenance for about ...a possible few hundred peeps ....possibly less...possibly a few thousand people...per antiquated (!) device.

that is just a waste of their money and manpower in the eyes of their balance books....

Hm...
Lets see what comes down the pipe.
I think it is starting to get to the time to be REALLY quiet ....quiet like mices...
um ...meese? ,,,
hate there is no plural for mice ...other than ...mice ...

I think it time to be quiet and still like mice ...about Skyp functionality and our devices.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following User Says Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I say good riddance and hope that a more than decent alternative comes out of this potential gap that's about to happen.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 95 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Massachusetts
That's a bummer. I've used Skype since 2003 back when Skypecasts was still a feature. Ever since Microsoft bought them, their application just went down hill with its redesign.

There are lots of other decent alternatives like Oovoo and PalTalk, and even some newer ones emerging like Discord, Telegram, Line, WhatsApp. Now if only AOL would do something with AIM, and make it great again.

The Following User Says Thank You to Roth For This Useful Post:
Well it's not an older windows device or a TV as listed in sicelo's email...maybe they'll forget

I know they're also retiring native linux version so probably not.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Roth View Post
There are lots of other decent alternatives
That is the biggest problem as far as I am concerned.

Back in the day when people... you know... talked each other, it did not matter what phone company you were registered with or even what country you lived in. You could just pick up the phone and dial the number and hey presto, you can talk to your sister who is married in Switzerland. You did not need to care that you were with British Telecom and she was with Swiss Telekommen or whatever they call it there. The same still applies with emails. So why not instant messaging?

"Decent alternatives" my a55. If I could use my CoolApp to chat with my sister using KewlApp then sure, I would use a "decent alternative". But since they are all mutually incompatible, I can only use the only one that we both agree on. And that means Skype and nothing else.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
That is the biggest problem as far as I am concerned.

Back in the day when people... you know... talked each other, it did not matter what phone company you were registered with or even what country you lived in. You could just pick up the phone and dial the number and hey presto, you can talk to your sister who is married in Switzerland. You did not need to care that you were with British Telecom and she was with Swiss Telekommen or whatever they call it there. The same still applies with emails. So why not instant messaging?
Actually, no.
You are just so young you do not remember the early days of telephony, when all services were regional and you just bloody couldn't talk to your sister in switzerland at all; Fortunately the pan-european semaphore service was working most days of the week properly so you could send a message to her if you could afford it.
I think the international rate was about pound of piece-of-eights then.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I know, juice. I omitted that little detail because that would have spoiled my little rant

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
We've gone on a back and forth journey since day 1. Unless you can convince everyone to use jabber and irc your now stuck. A lot of the modern fragmentation probably started due to bbm. Then you have imessage and now a boat load of WhatsApp, Facebook, Qik competitors. What we need is a standard message format that allows Devs to write their own frontend. Oh yeah, we did. SMS. Ok we need video, pictures and emoji's for every conceivable thought or emotion though. Oh yeah, we we did. MMS.

Unfortunately, unless the big messaging firms open their APIs again or a new contender promoting some big new feature and a workable API this won't change. Or we just have to wait for a Pidgin of mobile formats.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:

The Following User Says Thank You to dovf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
come on ste-phan..It is about providing support and maintenance for about ...a possible few hundred peeps ....possibly less...possibly a few thousand people...per antiquated (!) device.

that is just a waste of their money and manpower in the eyes of their balance books....

Hm...
Lets see what comes down the pipe.
I think it is starting to get to the time to be REALLY quiet ....quiet like mices...
um ...meese? ,,,
hate there is no plural for mice ...other than ...mice ...

I think it time to be quiet and still like mice ...about Skyp functionality and our devices.
Not wanting to wake the sleeping dogs? I think our few 100 devices still work with Skype because we are not important enough a group to use the kill switch on.
The strenght of Skype (besides now compromised encryption) used to be for many years that no mater the version of your Skype client you could still establish voice calls and text chats.

Since Microsoft took over devices became unsupported. Skype clients needed to be updated to latest versions including bloatware and advertisements.

Skype should have been protected under some telecom law for the public interest.
If governemnts had a vision about the future of telecom, we could be talking to big wall mounted displays or projections in every room like in SF movies and call those conversations private.

That is clearly not what we want.

Now using Wire.com, Swiss based, Encrypted, Open source, Elegant multiplatorm client.. but it is a tech demo and probably just a matter of time till some Google buys it including all my data.
So I am not advertising it like it was 2003.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post: