Notices

I have what I believe to be a fix to the "ghost lines" problem, but I can't seem to get the project to compile (the compiler complaining about python this and that... I have no idea how to fix that. I'm using the Maemo Dev VMWare image which is supposedly configured correctly but seems that isn't so). Anyway, if anyone else is able to compile the project and can test my changes, please let me know. I changed the function 'gtk_my_draw_widget_button_updown' in gtkmydrawwidget.c as follows, in order to enforce zero-pressure events when the pen is pressed to or lifted from the tablet:

Code:
static gint
gtk_my_draw_widget_button_updown (GtkWidget *widget, GdkEventButton *event)
{
  GtkMyDrawWidget * mdw;
  g_return_val_if_fail (widget != NULL, FALSE);
  g_return_val_if_fail (GTK_IS_MY_DRAW_WIDGET (widget), FALSE);
  mdw = GTK_MY_DRAW_WIDGET (widget);

double pressure;
  if (!gdk_event_get_axis ((GdkEvent *)event, GDK_AXIS_PRESSURE, &pressure)) {
    pressure = (event->state & GDK_BUTTON1_MASK) ? 0.5 : 0;
  }

if (event->state & GDK_BUTTON1_MASK)
    gtk_my_draw_widget_process_motion_or_button (widget, event->time, event->x, event->y, 0);

gtk_my_draw_widget_process_motion_or_button (widget, event->time, event->x, event->y, pressure);

if ((event->state & GDK_BUTTON1_MASK) == 0)
    gtk_my_draw_widget_process_motion_or_button (widget, event->time, event->x, event->y, 0);

return TRUE;
}

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnathan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by Johnathan View Post
I have what I believe to be a fix to the "ghost lines" problem, but I can't seem to get the project to compile (the compiler complaining about python this and that... I have no idea how to fix that. I'm using the Maemo Dev VMWare image which is supposedly configured correctly but seems that isn't so). Anyway, if anyone else is able to compile the project and can test my changes, please let me know. I changed the function 'gtk_my_draw_widget_button_updown' in gtkmydrawwidget.c as follows, in order to enforce zero-pressure events when the pen is pressed to or lifted from the tablet:

Code:
static gint
gtk_my_draw_widget_button_updown (GtkWidget *widget, GdkEventButton *event)
{
  GtkMyDrawWidget * mdw;
  g_return_val_if_fail (widget != NULL, FALSE);
  g_return_val_if_fail (GTK_IS_MY_DRAW_WIDGET (widget), FALSE);
  mdw = GTK_MY_DRAW_WIDGET (widget);

double pressure;
  if (!gdk_event_get_axis ((GdkEvent *)event, GDK_AXIS_PRESSURE, &pressure)) {
    pressure = (event->state & GDK_BUTTON1_MASK) ? 0.5 : 0;
  }

if (event->state & GDK_BUTTON1_MASK)

gtk_my_draw_widget_process_motion_or_button (widget, event->time, event->x, event->y, pressure);

if ((event->state & GDK_BUTTON1_MASK) == 0)

return TRUE;
}
Add :
#Maemo extras
deb http://repository.maemo.org/extras/ diablo free non-free
deb-src http://repository.maemo.org/extras/ diablo free
deb http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/ diablo free non-free
deb-src http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/ diablo free
to DIABLO_ARMEL's /etc/apt/sources.list and run apt-get update and then do apt-get build-dep mypaint. After that, you can export PYTHON=/usr/bin/python2.5 and it should compile.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Please post a binary? The "ghost lines" problem makes this program unusable for me, but if it were fixed, I would say it is extras-worthy.

I'm trying to get this thing to compile and it's not working at all. I don't know how the hell to configure this dev environment... it gives weird errors for no apparent reason and doesn't attempt to tell me how to fix it. It's now complaining that python2.5 is "too old" because it thinks it's older than 2.2. WTF? I tried to use "sb-menu" to configure things but I don't understand half the questions it's asking me... what the hell is a rootstrap? What's the difference between a host compile and a cross compile? Why are there so many different choices in the menus when I only need two (compile for emulator/compile for device)? Why is this dev environment so damn complicated?

Since no one else is willing to compile a new version of mypaint, can someone please at least tell me exactly, step-by-step, how to configure this to compile an installable package for the tablet, starting with what options I should be selecting in "sb-menu".

I may sound like a newbie at this kind of thing, but I really am not... I've developed software on dozens of different platforms, operating systems and architectures over the past 15 years (including several different ARM based devices), and not one of those development environments has ever been nearly as convoluted as this one.

/end rant (sorry)

The Following User Says Thank You to Johnathan For This Useful Post:
like Johnathan I too am having trouble. Would also like to understand.

If you have time to make my life a bit easier and help us out it would be appreciated.

look at what people are doing with the hacking ds http://colors.collectingsmiles.com/
now we should be able to blow that out of the water but the dam gosting is in the way!

Johnatan I'm under the gun a bit at work but things will slow eventually. I'll take the time, if I ever get some, to work this out. Hopefully somebody who knows the deal can save us before then though.

Hasnt somebody figured out how to package this yet? Please post it if you have. If not can you at least make an instructional post so we can do it.

All the previous suggestions for ghost lines help but certainly dont solve the problem.

Does Johnathons fix actually work?

Thanks
C

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm bumping the thread, because the upstream version is up to 0.7.1, Fremantle is coming, and nobody compiled a version with a fix for the ghost lines.

Could someone please pick up the ball here?

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
anders_gud appears to be interested in getting it to run on Mer at least. Maybe this is an (OK, not a great one) example of how developing for Mer can help Fremantle?

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I'm bumping the thread, because the upstream version is up to 0.7.1, Fremantle is coming, and nobody compiled a version with a fix for the ghost lines.

ghost lines are caused by not having much cpu and when its busy it loses the occasional point.
in fremantle and on more powerful device, I believe this wouldn't be so much of a problem.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post

Hi!
Recent versions of Mypaint (as of 0.6.0 i believe) requires python-numpy and a pygtk built with --enable-numpy. I've tried to build those packages but failed (pygtk and python in Diablo/Maemo are a mess...)

Jonathans patch above does not eliminate the ghost lines for me with the default brush set (I get dotted lines).
- As I have said earlier in this thread you have to adjust the pressure settings for each brush to get rid of them...
For those who don't believe me there is a .deb with Jonathans changes here.

Right now Mer is shaping up (there were pressure related issues due to xorg, but the transition to back Xomap made things slightly better ). For those who has Mer 0.15 installed there is a easy way to try it out.

As for Fremantle - I feel this is a kind of application that is hard to port and try out without a real Maemo 5 device in my hands...

Last edited by anders_gud; 2009-08-20 at 08:18.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anders_gud For This Useful Post: