Active Topics

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by XenGi View Post
I would prefer zehjotkahs proposal. It's just easier to understand.

The important thing about this competition is that we need more apps in the maemo/meego world. More in this case means new ones, not updated or ported ones.

And just as a side note. the voting process with zejotkahs proposal is alot easier to manage and to understand for voters.
The voting would be exactly the same. But we would need 16 polls instead of 10. Also the inportant fact that we would need new applications is covered since the participants are only able to win a N950 with a new application, not with a updated.

Orphaned and not updated applications are a big and very annoying problem exactly as apps which are still not ported from the N900 and before to the current Nokia N9.

Zehjotkah's proposal has 5 not assigned Devices (I know, it was my proposal to spread those later), but a more clearer and fixed solution could be in the end less frustrating.
Also are the several times addressed updates covered and still seperated to the more important new apps. We need to seperate those because a since several years developed application is already more polished compared to one which is in a early state.

It is not easy to allocate 25 devices to 7 to 10 categories. But I would say I found a fair solution for everyone, even if it looks at the first glimpse more complicated.

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

Last edited by helex; 2012-05-25 at 21:44.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by helex View Post
But which system should we use to spread them and how to avoid anger?
It doesn't matter which system we'll use, this will be a challenge, just like in the past years.

I tought already the past days about this problem since someone could say later "If I had known..." - a fixed system is always better since everybody will know how it works and what to win in the end.
I think this would be a bigger problem with your idea...

Categorie 8 would get removed, categorie 9 and 10 are already participating in Categorie 1-7.
Not exactly.
The Beginner award is an award the participant can apply for.
The Mulitplatform award will be given to the participant whos app is available on the most platforms..

Hmmm, I think that's waaaay too complicated. How to explain that successfully to the participants? Last years even dividing into MeeGo ARM and MeeGo x86 caused problems...

Rule: ...
Similar but much easier to understand with my proposal:
A participant just can get one prize. The highest prize counts.
So if someone wins a N950 and in another category he wins a N9 and in another category he wins money, he will only get the N950.
The remaining prizes would go to the runner ups.
With this rule we'd prevent flooding the competition with low quality apps and concentrate more on quality apps.

If I remember correctly we had the last time enought for a place 3 to 5 bounty share. So we should get hopefully enought for 16 bounty shares.
I'd prefer just one money prize per category because of the PayPal fees. With every transaction there are basic PayPal fees regardless of the amount of the transaction.

My old proposal to appreciate apps which get ported from the N900 to the N9 during this competition was rejected or were forgotten.
No, we have the Multi Platform Award for that.
New app doesn't mean it has to be written from scratch. Of course you could port your N900 app which wasn't available for the N9 until now and enter with it as new app for the N9.
Automatically you'd be part of the Multi Platform Award.

The winner of the Multi Platform Award won't be voted, because the app with the most targeted platforms wins. No voting process needed...

edit: the five N9s would be spreaded to the five categories with the most submissions.

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2012-05-25 at 21:53.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Hello!

This community is incredible.

I've been reading posts here for as long as I have my N900 (it's about year and a half), but these news about new competition made me move my lazy ***, register here and start coding myself, not just relying on community's activity.

I want to participate in this competition for sure, but I have one question: what if I start porting an (open source) application by another developer, which is on N900, but is not yet on N9? Is it applicable? Which category would it be?

Or may be it's better for me to concentrate on some new stuff?

Thanks in advance!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beresk_let For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
[update to webos games manager]
That would be awesome! But according to javispedro there is a problem with Aegis on the N9/N950 as far as I remember...
No problem - this can be update for Fremantle, I'm sure it would get maaaany votes.

Of course, I think that multiplatform projects are best, and shining future awaits for them on COBS.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by beresk_let View Post
I want to participate in this competition for sure, but I have one question: what if I start porting an (open source) application by another developer, which is on N900, but is not yet on N9? Is it applicable? Which category would it be?
As this app isn't available for the N9 yet, it would be considered as new app and would fit in any of the first 7 categories (in my proposal).
Also it seems to be your first maemo/Harmattan project, you'd be eligible for the Beginners Award.

If you consider doing updates to the N900 version as well during the timeframe, these updates would fit into the Updates Category (8). Automatically, you'd take part in the Multi Platform Award because you'd target more than one platforms now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 193 | Thanked: 201 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Subotica, Serbia
For the multi platform competition I can see several problems.

I could be a dick, monitor the applications that are in the competition and do the minimal amount of porting to have the same amount as the one that has the most, and do it for the same platforms.

Then there is I could make an iFart for many platforms, and win because it's a simple application, and probably easier to port then something that requires hardware integration, like accelerometer, camera or other.

Maybe there should be platforms defined in advanced, and/or a good definition what a platform means in this context.
If it working on desktop, is it one platform or three (windows, mac and linux, maybe others BSD). I'm assuming as we're mentioning fremantle and harmattan, the latter.
If desktop is excluded and we go only for mobile world. Do we take into consideration android, iOS, bada and others?

IMHO this category should be well defined as it's a hornets nest,

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mmlado For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
more and more donations are coming in... you're awesome!
I've added a new donation, 50€ from myself. I'll try to give you the money in Berlin at the end of june.

And by the way, since many Qt/qml developers are following this thread, a shameless advertising. BlackBerry is currently organizing a BB Jam World Tour. A good chance to meet other maemo members and Qt developers around the world.

I've created a new topic and a wiki page to find other community members at this events. Please add yourself to the wiki if you are attending a event.

See you in Berlin!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Well, count me in!

Also, I don't mind to support both Fremantle & Harmattan with my applications.
please can you pelp me

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
And by the way, since many Qt/qml developers are following this thread, a shameless advertising. BlackBerry is currently organizing a BB Jam World Tour. A good chance to meet other maemo members and Qt developers around the world.
On a related note for Qt & Python developers, looks like someone already ported PySide to the BlackBerry Playbook, they also want to upstream the needed changes back to PySide & plan to add support for the Cascades in summer.
PySide on the BlackBerry Playbook

EDIT:
a more detailed article about porting PySide on the Playbook

The multi-platform award might get quite interesting numbers in the end.

Last edited by MartinK; 2012-05-26 at 10:32.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
The multi-platform award might get quite interesting numbers in the end.
Yes, feels in the first moment like a new competitor which could mug away developers from the maemo platform. But after a short moment it looks in my opinion more like a big chance for our community.

Speaking for myself, the rumored Meltemi platform looks currently not very attractive to use it myself as a daily device. And I won't develop for a device which I will not use myself. But if BlackBerry is doing it right I will get in the end a N9 or even better a N950 successor, sadly without terminal, but perhaps still attractive enought to use it as my daily device.
Since it supports Qt, qml and now first successful tries to get python on it running the Qt BB10 apps will get easily portable back and forth to BB10, N9 and later Meltemi. BB10 Devices are currently not available, but our N9 are.

So, attend now our coding competition! The future for your Qt stuff looks currently very bright!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:

Tags
happy new year, mcc2012, merry christmas