Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Anyone not expecting this was/is fooling themselves. The talk from Nokians and the blog posts etc all pointed clearly to winding down of the project. I will buy the N9 personally just to fulfill the fifth step and as a thank you to maemo people who really helped me learn about the idea of FOSS. (proud owner of N800, N810 and N900)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:
he really is just a ****in ****** to kill a product that is financially profitable or they have a deal with MS to do ONLY wp7 phones in the future and nothing else which is very probable

Originally Posted by Ministeri View Post
I believe that Elop gave this statement now, because he saw that N9 is gathering huge amounts of support behind it.

He was a Microsoft Man and he still is. He saw that Meego would threaten the Windows Phone. Meego being a marginal platform and still probably would sold more. Even without proper ecosystem.

Nokia's Board of Directors should use its powers to turn back Elop's strategies proven to be failure.
exactly! that's what I concluded by the timing of F*lop's statement when N9 is garnering such massive praise from everywhere

with all due respect,
PLEASE change the title of this thread

N9 is the final (or only) NOKIA Meego phone ever

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Hate to be bringer of bad news, but as the title says, Elop says in interview on todays "Helsingin Sanomat" that N9 will be the last Meego phone even if its succesfull.

Released only to be excuse for killing Meego.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following User Says Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 136 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Finland
the linked article does not have Elop saying that N9 was the last /only meego phone. gthat phrase is an addendum from the journalist himself and i think he is just using the general "rumor" going around in all the online blogs / forums / news as his source.

unless the print version has a direct quote from elop this is not any more reliable than hearing it in a random blog

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to mooglez For This Useful Post:
agh - this is why i asked someone who reads the native language to confirm this.

can someone 100% confirm as a quote from elop's lips ? or is it a vague quote/insinuation ?

The Following User Says Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Releasing N9 and N950 is an example why Nokia management failed. They have no vision of the future and that's why they join Microsoft. Releasing these devices is like showing their last breath before they die and venture into NEW Windows 8 phones. That's why they called the devices DEAD before they even announce. SO why would you buy a dead unsupported phones?? A waste of investment imo.

The Following User Says Thank You to romanianusa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
FYI: in business, you can assume that anything that has not been inked in contract are still in constant negotiation.

It seems to me that Elop is as selfish as any professionals would be; he may have used MS as a stepping stone otw to where he is right now (top guy of the biggest mobile phone producer out there), but I doubt that his allegiance to MS is as blind as a fanboy's.

N9 and MeeGo, could be his bargaining chip against MS. If N9+MeeGo is successful, he will use it to gain more favorable terms in his dealings against MS (Since Nokia is gasping for breath/cash right now); and may use MeeGo on its own when Nokia is able to stand on its own again.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Well the more successful N9 become the more pressure will be on Elop to convince shareholders his strategy. Of course Elop can always delay the releasing of N9 to the market till a Windows Phone come out to fade out N9 existent.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 277 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
After reading the original Helsingin Sanomat -newspaper article, I can confirm that it says Nokia dumping the Meego. But without a direct quote. It says something like this: "Regarding Elop, Nokia will not continue with Meego even if it would prove to be a success"

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Ministeri For This Useful Post:

Tags
elopcalypse, elopocalypse, insanity, makesnosense, trojan