Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Originally Posted by sulu View Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but all the people dreaming of the Neo900 as a laptop replacement please keep this in mind:
...I love the idea of a feature monster and don't care that much about the money...
...will probably be the next-best thing to a full-grown computer whenever a netbook is too bulky (at least that's how I use my N900).
Exactly! Using existing smartphones as a reference point, I can see a SlimPort-enabled Neo900 encroaching quite a bit on the more "casual" duties of typical laptops and even light (casual) desktop usage--and that's really what I mean when I refer to it as a "replacement" for any given device. The Neo900 could very well be a 'feature monster', as you put it--as opposed to most current smartphones, which are more like 'Facebook monsters'. Just having more control over the underlying OS and not being forced to use an "app" for everything puts something like the Neo900 leagues ahead of most alternatives.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crustacean For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
Speaking of laptop replacements, I would think that with HDMI, a similar hack to the Raspberry Pi/Motorola Atrix laptop dock should be quite feasible.
I have one of these, which I've been experimenting with with my Raspberry Pi. It seems to connect to virtually everything that has HDMI out; I'd REALLY love to use it as a N900 dock!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Originally Posted by crustacean View Post
Exactly! Using existing smartphones as a reference point, I can see a SlimPort-enabled Neo900 encroaching quite a bit on the more "casual" duties of typical laptops and even light (casual) desktop usage--and that's really what I mean when I refer to it as a "replacement" for any given device. The Neo900 could very well be a 'feature monster', as you put it--as opposed to most current smartphones, which are more like 'Facebook monsters'. Just having more control over the underlying OS and not being forced to use an "app" for everything puts something like the Neo900 leagues ahead of most alternatives.
BINGO! Exactly what is in my custard-filled skull-cavity that I cannot enunciate at this time. Originally the intro of the neo900 initially got me excited to the point of panic..gotta have it...gotta have it...gotta have it ....I did not think I could be more hopeful nor excited...
until
... the mention of the output possibility ...this ... blew my mind. pa-KOWIE!
Yeah...if it is attainable..it definitely raises the bar.....it would be a device that would give the corps a run for their money.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following User Says Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Just as a feedback:
I also do not have the real need for high definition video out (as av/vga would suffice my needs from time to time). BUT if we could get it for roundabout 20/25 bucks, I am in.
A real docking station like thingie woul be the ultimate! [this is what I would have liked Nokia to see and follow that way 4 years back, it was the device for such feature]

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Just as a feedback:
I also do not have the real need for high definition video out (as av/vga would suffice my needs from time to time). BUT if we could get it for roundabout 20/25 bucks, I am in.
A real docking station like thingie woul be the ultimate! [this is what I would have liked Nokia to see and follow that way 4 years back, it was the device for such feature]
In the end I see it like peterleinchen. But on the other hand, i don't think it's useful to implement all, just because it is possible. 20 bucks here, 10 bucks there... I definitely don't need a HD out. But if the majority wants one, 20 bucks shouldn't be the problem, but I think we shouldn't loose control over the costs. I voted at the beginning for 500 €. I donated 150 € and i want a complete device, not just a board. Meanwhile I am ready to pay more than 500 €. But my limit is definitely 850 €. If the whole device costs more, I'm out.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
yes, a very reasonable approach, thanks for sharing that.
What just occurs to me is: when such additional BOM+R&D expense makes for another 500 devices we can sell, then the device will be cheaper in the end, despite the 20EUR more we need to invest in each. simply due to rebates on component sourcing and reduced R&D share per device. In the end it's a math equation as usual, just we (also as usual) need good numbers to start with. That's why every contribution here is valuable, the more accurate data it contributes the better. So: thanks again to peterleinchen, fellfrosch and all the others who shared their POV so far

cheers
jOERG

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Hello Jörg, Thanks for your comment. I don't envy you for handling all that different personal attitudes and requests

Any way, I definitely like the way, you (and the others involved) communicate with us. (thumbs up)
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to block any further functions! But with the possibilities of the Neo900 I think we should concentrate on the things which fit together. I can't imagine, that the Neo900 will play smoothly any videos in Full HD with it's specifications, when already my Netbook (Lenovo x121e) struggles with that (at least on Linux).

On the other hand I like the Idea to have a small Laptop replacement. But please don't forget the poll. There are just 170 people which were willing to pay MORE than 500 €. I think meanwhile some of them like me are now willing to pay more, but in the end I and many others have just a limited budget.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
As stated many times before - I don't have *need* for digital video out, but I *do* have a really high one (need, not video out) for *some* accurate video out (VGA suffice). Current composite video out as in N900 is better than nothing, but all this downscaling makes it PITA for reading, (all fonts are blurry), not to mention more sophisticated "Desktop-like" usages.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
@joerg_rw

Do you think that the pcb layout could be designed with a little space dedicated to optionally solder an rtl2832 and an e4000?

Usually, this would require a very little space and would allow to have onboard a dvb-t tuner and an sdr receiver.

Look here for an example of pcb with these ic:
http://www.radioelementi.it/public/dtb_sdr.jpg

Eventual rtl2832-gr IC availability:
http://www.oemstrade.com/search/RTL2832-GR/

Last edited by xes; 2014-01-12 at 13:18.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
Well what I heard is that you can customize your Neo900 for a bit more, so if not all of you want the TV tuner, xes can make a special order for himself (considering it fits)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!