Posts: 57 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Denmark
I would very much like to buy the N9 - I think it's the coolest device, and I hope all of you developers will help making it as great as my N900 was.

However - there is one obstacle in my way: My company will only let mobile devices that are running "Afaria" mobile security connect to the MfE server. As far as I know, it will encrypt the contents of the phone, allow remote erasing of data, etc.

So, the question to all of you tekkies out there is: Will afaria run on N9 - or is there some other way to connect? All I need is push email and calendar sync, and I'm good to go!

EDIT: Removed the "Sensational title", which apparently was more interesting than the topic itself for some.

Last edited by MortenS; 2011-10-06 at 18:43.

By digging a little bit more I found this page: http://www.sybase.com/products/mobil...m-requirements

There descriptions for iOS, Android, Symbian and Windows - and that won't help , but there are also a Java Client and a "Feature Phone Client". Is there anything in that which can be used?

I hope I'm not the only one with this problem!

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
This is definitely not a showstopper for N9. It is a showstopper for your use of N9.

Could you please change the topic to be less provocative and more to the point? With sensational titles you don't reach your goal.

There is a thread for MfE on N9/50: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=78480 which you can use to bring your issue directly to the MfE team.

Filesystem encryption and remote management are supported by N9 and if these capabilities are enforced on Exchange server side, MfE on N9 will obey them.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to abbra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by MortenS View Post
I would very much like to buy the N9 - I think it's the coolest device, and I hope all of you developers will help making it as great as my N900 was.

However - there is one obstacle in my way: My company will only let mobile devices that are running "Afaria" mobile security connect to the MfE server. As far as I know, it will encrypt the contents of the phone, allow remote erasing of data, etc.

So, the question to all of you tekkies out there is: Will afaria run on N9 - or is there some other way to connect? All I need is push email and calendar sync, and I'm good to go!
that is a massive showstopper!

oh, wait, what the hell is "Afaria" anyway?!? some kind of propietary blob used to pull money from your company?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

oh god, welcome to my ignore list. the fvcking sensationalism @ TMO is at an all time high.

Originally Posted by abbra View Post
This is definitely not a showstopper for N9. It is a showstopper for your use of N9.

Could you please change the topic to be less provocative and more to the point? With sensational titles you don't reach your goal.

There is a thread for MfE on N9/50: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=78480 which you can use to bring your issue directly to the MfE team.

Filesystem encryption and remote management are supported by N9 and if these capabilities are enforced on Exchange server side, MfE on N9 will obey them.
Hi Abbra,

You are right, it's a showstopper for ME, but I'm probably not the only one who's company is being "ripped off", as it's being put elsewhere. And I tried searching, but didn't find anything on the subject @TMO or anywhere else.

Point taken about the "sensational title" - It's my first thread, and I've changed it, even though I think some are overreacting a bit

But - I'd like to thank you, Abbra - because you answered my question, and I'll now finally be able to buy this fantastic phone that I've been waiting for since the first rumours started.

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
that is a massive showstopper!

oh, wait, what the hell is "Afaria" anyway?!? some kind of propietary blob used to pull money from your company?
Hi Ossipena. Well it is (or rahter "was") for me anyway - but as Abbra was kind enough to point out, the N9 does support file system encryption and remote management - and to answer your question - that's what Afaria is about, to the best of my knowledge.

But I'm just a normal user - and there are probably experts out there that will clarify - or jump up an down on my head for spreading misinformation. Sorry guys - that's why we call You the experts!

Gentlemen!

To those of you who have the need for MDM, there are some news.

Thanks til Vitaly for helping raising the question to Nokia Business Development. http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...nt#post1110061 I'll post if I hear anything, and I will keep pushing for news.

Yesterday I found out that this issue has already been raised towards the MeeGo project in the MeeGo bug-jar here: https://bugs.meego.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11575

But now with the Tizen project, I'm not sure what will happen to this request - and how that could ever be ported to Harmattan IF they managed to solve it. Basically I don't know if it's Nokia's people who should solve it, or if one can depend on MeeGo/Tizen to do it. Anyone?

I started out naming this thread "Showstopper" and got yelled at. I still believe it is for many people.