Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by t0mbola View Post
guys I think we should get our money back
i payed for a phone. i got a phone. nothing changed.
nobody payed for any kind of service.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Nobody likes it whenever we point it out, but I would argue that my opinion is it's already finished. We've been saying it for a few months now: Maemo's dead, man.

Understandably, nobody that invested in the device (especially back when it was $650) wants to hear that but the signs were already sprinkled around in little things Nokia said and in their actions. The clearly desperate action of trying to turn Maemo into yet another iPhone competing "me too!" device instead of growing it into a proper Internet Tablet in the very market segment it had carved out for itself was, in my opinion, an epic blunder. Now everyone is suddenly jumping onboard the tablet bandwagon right after Nokia abandoned it. Dolts!

Continuing the practices that the previous Internet Tablet owners had been mistreated to, such as Nokia's lack of communication, support and unwillingness to fix bugs or at least open up THEIR OWN SOURCE CODE to the community to let them support themselves, is another series of epic blunders. It's incredible that the company errs on the side of keeping source code CLOSED on an open-source platform so that only Nokia can fix most of the problems. Why? Is Nokia's source code just that horribly embarrassing that they would prefer not to let it see the light of day? Why err on the side of closed? Bumbling idiots.

There's no bragging points if you're suddenly shifting your strategy to a "me too!" platform if you're going to just do what your competition has been doing, and no better.
I don't disagree but as Nokia are still, I assume, selling the device I thought we would at least get some support until a meego device arrived next summer. The N900 must go down as one of the shortest supported smartphones ever?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to droitwichgas For This Useful Post:
Can we change the topic of this to something more accurate, like "Person makes angry comment on bug tracker, closes bug."

I doubt it's too far from the truth but let's not go stuffing words in people's mouths.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by msa View Post
how about nokia offering 50% discount on the n9 when we send our n900's in? :P
That would be sweet, and VERY smart if they did that. As it would keep most of us with Nokia and Meego.
I have been VERY tempted to go Android.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I never heard of a $600+ device from any other brand with such lousy and short lived support.

Yes this was always intended as a geek / developer's tool, step 5 of 6 or whatever... but really Nokia?

The Following User Says Thank You to H3llb0und For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ymartin59 View Post
Well, Nokia needs to make money and discontinue N900 is a way for better sales for the future MeeGo device... My opinion is that the new Nokia's CEO probably considers OpenSource bad for business. Even Symbian returns to closed development model.
Snake oil vendors also needed to make money and moved around a lot, geographically. I'm not saying Nokia is selling snake oil, but selling customers on high expectations and then delivering a mediocre or poor experience sure tastes funny. It might not foster return customers either. I wonder if that's why Nokia went from selling Maemo as an Internet Tablet OS to a Smart Phone OS? You know.. moving around a bit to snare a new set of victims to trick? :P Clearly, the 770/N8x0 crowd was already smart to Nokia's tactics by the time the N900 came out and I don't see a lot of that same ITT crowd here very much anymore.

Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
I don't disagree but as Nokia are still, I assume, selling the device I thought we would at least get some support until a meego device arrived next summer. The N900 must go down as one of the shortest supported smartphones ever?
No, I think that distinction might actually go to the Microsoft Kin. Never fear, Nokia can always keep trying to aim lower. I'm sure they'll eventually get there at this rate.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Can we change the topic of this to something more accurate, like "Person makes angry comment on bug tracker, closes bug."

I doubt it's too far from the truth but let's not go stuffing words in people's mouths.
You paid $650 for your N900,. didn't you?

If all you wanted was a phone, dude, you really overpaid. Just saying.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

It's four of five. 770, n800, n810, n900. The n9 would be step 5 if it was "real" maemo. Now it's more like step 1 on another ladder.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
this comment is wrong on so many levels.
customers like you encourage companies like nokia to drop products ASAP.

Originally Posted by H3llb0und View Post
That would be sweet, and VERY smart if they did that. As it would keep most of us with Nokia and Meego.
I have been VERY tempted to go Android.
i feel the same. i'm still very tempted to go android. its not only about good hard- and software, its also about the support. and thats what we are missing. there is no use in the, theoretical, better OS that is maemo when its not polished and supported.
we are customers and we bought a product, not a SDK.

Last edited by msa; 2010-12-08 at 21:39.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to msa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post

Well, I didn't note that person who closed a bug is a bug reporter and can do it w/out Andre Klapper permission - and it is my error, I assumed it is some Nokia employee.

But since that there are some valuable post (#10) from Instinctiv developer community about discouraging development on Maemo5 (see also the correspondent topic).

So, it seems a trend and I feel I should decline a topic change.

Last edited by egoshin; 2010-12-08 at 21:38. Reason: syntax

The Following User Says Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
You paid $650 for your N900,. didn't you?
$550 actually, and it's served me well. I wouldn't give it up for any other phone on the market at this point, despite Nokia's poor behavior.

Not to say I wouldn't buy from anyone else, but I have no interest in buying into Android, Symbian, or any of the control freak OSes :/

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
whats the problem. nokia have not done much for this device before. All the good stuff comes the community so who cares what nokia does. Get a beer and hack away...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:

Tags
fat lady, hardly knew ya, ignore list, needs locking, troll party, trollercoaster, trolololo, wawawaaaa., whinge fest