Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
Originally Posted by phako View Post
By default the only videos you can share via DLNA are videos taken on the device.
Oh. ... Is there any documentation that covers things like this?
The /etc/rygel.conf config file says
Code:
# In most cases, you would want to use the rygel-preferences UI rather than
# editing this file by hand.
edit /home/user/.config/rygel.conf and change strict-sharing to false.
Thanks. I had to reboot to get the change noticed. Is there a more elegant way?

Now the n900 sees the videos. Can't play them of course - the stock media player always was useless. So I try the Seagate media player: selecting "Media on N9" now just gives an empty list. "Plug and Pray" indeed.

Googled "rygel", installed it on my desktop, run, see it on the N900 media player (no DNLA client on the N9?), see the folders for music, pictures,etc. But trying to open one just gets a permanent "wait" icon. AAARGH! At least we can rely on USB mass-storage to work.

Last edited by myk; 2012-03-12 at 14:22.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by myk View Post
Code:
The preferences UI is limited to enabling/disabling sharing, selecting the directories you want to share and the network interface on which it is shared. Alas, it would be mostly superfluous on the N9 anyway.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
By default the only videos you can share via DLNA are videos taken on the device. That's a restriction indirectly imposed by DLNA as we had to chose for a set of profiles we support. If you want to change that, drop to the shell, edit /home/user/.config/rygel.conf and change strict-sharing to false.
Can you confirm this? I only see two XML's.

Tracker-xbox.xml
Tracker.xml

Originally Posted by afaq View Post
Can you confirm this? I only see two XML's.

Tracker-xbox.xml
Tracker.xml
You're in /home/user/.config/Rygel. if there is no /home/user/.config/rygel.conf, copy the temlate from /etc/rygel.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phako For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
The preferences UI is limited to enabling/disabling sharing, selecting the directories you want to share and the network interface on which it is shared. Alas, it would be mostly superfluous on the N9 anyway.
Yes, it's for a different back-end, just ignore this advice in the config file (this time) :-P

Originally Posted by myk View Post
Code:
Thanks. I had to reboot to get the change noticed. Is there a more elegant way?
Should work by just dis- and enabling sharing again.

Now the n900 sees the videos. Can't play them of course - the stock media player always was useless. So I try the Seagate media player: selecting "Media on N9" now just gives an empty list. "Plug and Pray" indeed.
That behaviour is usually an indication for a bug in the client ignoring backward compatibility guarantees.

Googled "rygel", installed it on my desktop, run, see it on the N900 media player (no DNLA client on the N9?), see the folders for music, pictures,etc. But trying to open one just gets a permanent "wait" icon. AAARGH! At least we can rely on USB mass-storage to work.
What version did you install? What back-end are you using?

Sorry, that's wrong. UPnP on the router is to allow any device that supports it to do basic queries about current outbound connectivity and port forwarding. That's covered by the UPnP Internet Gateway Device specification. This has absolutely _nothing_ to do with the UPnP AV specifications. You do not need a router's UPnP support to use UPnP enabled media devices in your network.

UPnP is a standardization group covering a vast amount of topics, not only media sharing.
i'm not saying that you need it to make it work. but that it's generally supposed to help make it easier for the user by doing those basic tasks itself.

i'm not sure if the N9 even uses upnp, but i know the ps3 does hence why i suggested it.

Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
i'm not saying that you need it to make it work. but that it's generally supposed to help make it easier for the user by doing those basic tasks itself.
No.

i'm not sure if the N9 even uses upnp, but i know the ps3 does hence why i suggested it.
Sigh. That happens if people leave out viable information, namely the complete name of the used standard. The "UPnP" found in your router is a completely different "UPnP" than the one used for media sharing and thus in DLNA.

Again: The one in the router does port forwarding and is used in the PS3 for simplifying online gaming and in the N9 for simplifying VoIP connections.

The other one is used in the PS3 for accessing media shares and on the N9 for being one.

Those two don't have anything in common except for something called UDA which defines the basic protocols used and being standardized by a industry forum called "UPnP Forum".

Presence of the one doesn't help the other in any way.

The Following User Says Thank You to phako For This Useful Post:
Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
I tried with my PS3 and every thing is showing - Video, Pictures & Music but none of them work. I can see the video files but while trying to play them it gives the format not supported. For music it shows all the album folders but nothing inside them - "No items to show". Same for other categories in the music. For pictures is just shows the category like by date etc but inside them again nothing. Any suggestion??

1. Youtube videos shared on the sites to be shown in stock browser & played using built-in Youtube player - Vote here
  2. Sliding to answer/reject calls while in locked state lags painfully - Vote here
  3. Availability & Transfers window always open from the bottom of the window despite whichever direction you put them away - Vote here
  4. System wide file manager support - Vote here

Join the Skype video support on N9 petition on twitter here.

Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
I tried with my PS3 and every thing is showing - Video, Pictures & Music but none of them work. I can see the video files but while trying to play them it gives the format not supported. For music it shows all the album folders but nothing inside them - "No items to show". Same for other categories in the music. For pictures is just shows the category like by date etc but inside them again nothing. Any suggestion??
If those videos are recorded with the device, that's expected, the PS3 can't deal with them except if in VGA resolution and record something that hasn't too much movement in it (keeping the bitrate low).

As for the other issues, are you sure you weren't in movie mode when trying to browse music and pictures? Happens to me all the time when I use the PS3.