Active Topics

Due to lack of apps on wp, Nokia is almost SOL. Investors are demanding a plan B, which Elop is not sure of.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/04/12/nokia_plan_b/

In this article, analysts are suggesting Elop to have an asset sale of its mobile phone business. Crazy stuff.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...2J01-M2DHM.DTL

Edit: New BusinessWeek/Bloomberg article with analysts saying Nokia going to junk status within a year. Credit swaps are at all time high, so not good.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...ate-finance#p1

Last edited by Maemomd; 2012-04-12 at 17:30.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Because you listed a link to the Register and then listed a link to an American website, the majority of the folks here will invariably disregard what is being said.

No Plan B... that was always a very bad decision not to have one. I think the brink of failure isn't immediate; but it's close enough to where it will be in the next 5 years if not sooner.

Brink just connotes that it's around the corner.

i don't know how they can pull it back, i honestly think they will get bought by someone, since investors want results, and Nokia take forever to do anything, unless it's pushed by Microsoft.

Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
there was never a plan B. One executive of Nokia said that "Nokia's plan B is to make Plan A (Windows Phone) a success."

Nokia is loosing market share badly with Windows Phone. Even Symbian was doing much better than Windows Phone. Just one announcement of Elop ruined everything for Nokia.

Nokia shares are still dropping.

I am hoping that they can survive this, but their on hand cash is dwindling. They are losing money per lumia set, and the problem is each lumia 900 costs more than a 4S to manufacture. Analysts are saying 5 months to turn around, hope they are wrong.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
This all shows that Nokia was batshit crazy to ditch Maemo/Meego and Symbian in favour of Windows Phone.

They should (but wont) release the N9 worldwide ASAP. And start work on a couple of extra devices - 1 a large screened phone/tablet similar to a Galaxy Note, and an N950 type device with all the bells and whistles.

While they're at it, release a E7 mark 2 with microsd, bigger battery etc etc similar to AllAboutSymbian's april fool here

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Originally Posted by Maemomd View Post
I am hoping that they can survive this, but their on hand cash is dwindling. They are losing money per lumia set, and the problem is each lumia 900 costs more than a 4S to manufacture. Analysts are saying 5 months to turn around, hope they are wrong.
There's about a $10 difference in cost to manufacture. Only reason they're losing money is the temporary discounts. They have enough cash to do this game another 2 years...

Hopefully in their last throes, they will do desperate, but fun things, like crazy giveaways, more linux based phones or devices, opening code, etc.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Call me grievious, but I actually want WP to fail, even if it means hard times for Nokia. I feel the platform has very little to offer, and is in fact contributing to the trend of the very locked down and closed mobiles as we see with iOS and BB. Even the N9 has been subjected to this trend.
Also, the lack of support for existing open protocols on WP is disturbing, as is the lack of true multitasking. Again, while the N9 is absolute king on multitasking (beats Android hands down) the N9 also lacks support for some of these protocols. True, these features won't win the hearts of the general population as they require some technical insight which that population seems to lack.

While I don't really like Google and I wouldn't call Android truly open (Android's development is quite closed, compared to Qt, Java) I would still choose it over Windows Phone in an instant.

Btw, I do wonder if the "lack of apps" is the true reason why WP isn't really selling as hot cakes. But if it is, they have a problem. WP doesn't support OpenGL ES as 3D framework. iOS, Android and Harmattan do, which makes porting 3D apps (games!) so much easier. While it would be next to impossible to run Android-apps on WP, it wouldn't be very hard to make them run on Harmattan. That might fix the "low app count", but would also damage the support for their own platform - why write a special version of an app if the Android version works too.

Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
There's about a $10 difference in cost to manufacture. Only reason they're losing money is the temporary discounts. They have enough cash to do this game another 2 years...
Agree with some of what you said, but not the cash. Lower margins, negative profits, constant inside costs, hammered stock price, and ratings lowered by s&p and Moody's has and will make their cash pile dwindle. I do see a junk rating in 12 months, hopefully I am wrong.

Tags
backdoors, buysomethinelse, danrantos, goodbye nokia, lumiadork, lumiaturd, nsa_cia_lumia, seasons in sun