Active Topics

Notices

I saw discussion about donating money for ports of games and applications. I try to stop one speculating and start collaborative planning.

I created a project "Hedgewars for Maemo5 / Nokia N900" on Cofundos.org. You can view the complete project description at:

http://www.cofundos.org/project.php?id=204
(Feel free to spreed link)

P.S. I know state of Maemo/MeeGo (Maemo=present. MeeGo=future). I hope that all work (not only in this context) with Maemo can be used also with MeeGo.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Austria
Looks like worms 2

We already have an port of worms called wormux, but this looks a liitle bit more polished

i think i would donate if the first demos are looking good and the application is free of charge

Originally Posted by Unit247 View Post
We already have an port of worms called wormux, but this looks a liitle bit more polished
Yes. Wormux changed name to Warmux on November 2010 (Wormux is started on 2002).

Originally Posted by Unit247 View Post
i think i would donate if the first demos are looking good and the application is free of charge
Hedgewars is playable under computer, it is at least five years old (current version control system backs to 2005). It is released under GPLv2 and it is free of charge.

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 120 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Poland
Compiled it, but it 'runs' at ~1 fps...

Not very playable, as you can imagine.

Here's ppcarm (built with -Cfsoft because apparently N900's CPU doesn't have hardware floating-point support) if you want to try to come up with something more sensible yourself.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trompkins For This Useful Post:
I just played this game on PC... it's awesome!! i would like to play this game on my n900.

Sry to bump an old thread but does anyone has news about the porting process?

edit: searching a bit, I found these videos ... I imagine that some have been working on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIpK1gxOja0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35y0QwhkYGM

but my question is if they still working on it. Cuz they have all my support

Last edited by 13lizzard; 2011-04-29 at 02:19.

Originally Posted by trompkins View Post
Compiled it, but it 'runs' at ~1 fps...
How you compiled it? What version of Hedgewars and which parameters, any modifications? Are you using scratchbox1 or 2 or something else?

Originally Posted by trompkins View Post
Here's ppcarm (built with -Cfsoft because apparently N900's CPU doesn't have hardware floating-point support)
There are now FreePascalCompiler-2.4.4 on extras-devel (without -Cfsoft), but with gles-unit enabled: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=73701

Are you compiled that ppcarm-2.5.1 (linked on your post)? It can't be used because there aren't 'units' included. Does it contain any modifications? Are you sure -Cfsoft is needed? I think N900 has hardfloat. (It seems that fpc-2.4.4 doesn't even have -Cfsoft flag)

I can compile Hedgewars 0.9.15 (with fpc from extras) adding
hedgewars/options.inc:
+{$DEFINE GLunit:=gles11}

(Or hg head adding also +{$DEFINE S3D_DISABLED} )

If I do not add GLunit=gless11, I get runtime Error:
"Failed loading libGL.so.1". I think if I fetch this file e.g. from Debian, Hedgewars will run with software GL, which might be 1fps (Is this your case, trompkins?).

Menus are working, but when game is starting, it shows background of level and text "Loading..." and it never go further.

The Following User Says Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
Ugh, I wouldn't pay for that! Worms clones are everywhere, I've seen many better looking, & faster clones of that old game. I just don't understand why everyone becomes so worked up over the same damn apps with just different textures.

Originally Posted by Soulaxe View Post
I've seen many better looking, & faster clones of that old game.
Would you mind to give some names/urls? Wormux/warmux is running on N900, Hedgewars not (yet). I do not know any more candidates for N900.

Originally Posted by Soulaxe View Post
I just don't understand why everyone becomes so worked up over the same damn apps with just different textures.
(Comparing only Hedgewars and Warmux) They differ also physics and gameplay, not only textures. And they have been written different language (and they use different libraries/frameworks), so joining the project and contributing differs.

The Following User Says Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
Would you mind to give some names/urls? Wormux/warmux is running on N900, Hedgewars not (yet). I do not know any more candidates for N900.
Why? I cant see any reason for you wanting to install them all.

Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
(Comparing only Hedgewars and Warmux) They differ also physics and gameplay, not only textures. And they have been written different language (and they use different libraries/frameworks), so joining the project and contributing differs.
Physics and textures aren't really anything to brag about.
In the comparison of zombie shooters, many of them are top-down with mass enemys on screen. Yet, they all each provide their own view on it: Adding depth effects, RPG elements, fast-paced gameplay, or different perspectives.

All I am asking is; why have the same game created/ported when developers could be more creative with their projects? Have you ever seen a 3D worms clone with RTS-like gameplay, or something just as creative?

I want it. Now its getting more fun mode. And its server always up. Could be one of the best N900 multiplayer game. also there is more single player missions coming to it.