Posts: 106 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Corfe Castle, Dorset, UK
I'm thinking mine isn't hardware related. I just played five mins of nfs and real golf, thinking that would tax the cpu gpu and vram etc... no crashes.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HughF_UK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ London
Got my handtec N9 up and running and it's like it's booby-trapped, took me 20-30 minutes just to get through the initial setup as it kept freezing on the country and language selections. I really hope it's just a software issue, don't want to send it back, it's so beautiful... Has flashing worked for people? And is there a clear how-to? I've only seen a couple posts that are hard to follow on forum.meego

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jah25 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ United Kingdom
this thread is most disheartening...

looking at potentially using handtec myself i find it worrying to read the problems many are having with these n9 handsets.
I really hope you all find it is software and not hardware issues as the phone sounds a total nightmare so far from reboots,hangs ,screen graining to scratched/chipped screens ! surely it cant get any worse ? only better please !!

Last edited by moepda; 2011-11-02 at 00:45. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to moepda For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
>What makes you say that?

Let's pretend that the 1Gb of app memory is divided into banks.

And let's pretend that we have an OS that pages apps into and out of memory as and when required

And let's pretens the OS is multitasking and deals with protected memory

Now let's starts an app. It *might* or might not attempt to load (some of itself) into the dodgy page of memory.

If it *does* that would cause it to abend. But the excellent OS would prevent this from affecting other apps.

If it does not, the app starts OK. But parts off it might get paged out of memory and then paged back in to the dud page as we continue to use the phone and launch and stop other apps. If it pages into the dud page, we abend.

The OS itself might get paged into the dud page, which will casue an OS reboot.

Frankly the symptoms I'm seeing fairly closely match this scenario. I think I have at least some dud RAM ( and cannot as reasonably be explained away as a software issue)

The Following User Says Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jah25 View Post
Has flashing worked for people?
No.

Originally Posted by jah25 View Post
And is there a clear how-to?
I posted links earlier to around about the clearest how-to that I found and used

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sunc View Post
as I'm getting occasional reboots and lockups .
This isn't sounding like what we Handtec stock users are suffering from.

Hello everyone,

So I've received my phone this afternoon from handtec and have been playing with it since then.

Just to report to you guys that I do not have these random reboot problems at all (well the phone rebooted once, while I was playing around with the AP News application , but have not encountered any other reboots/freezes since then)

I do not use facebook or twitter at all, if that's gonna make any difference. So far I'm loving this phone, especially the UI.

PS: but to be honest with you guys, I'm leaning towards software problem, rather than the hardware itself.

The only thing that bothers me at the moment is when I go to a very very dark room (almost pitch black), you can see that the display has a little bit of pink/purple tinge on the top left hand corner.

Last edited by dubious_dog; 2011-11-02 at 02:31.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dubious_dog For This Useful Post:
Someone a while back mentioned that the Handtec batch was made in Finland. Is that true are are these from China? Just trying to isolate the source of the batches. I was ready to pull the trigger on my order but now I'm going to wait. Hopefully this is a sw issue but the isolated nature of this seems to indicate hardware.

The Following User Says Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post:
My phone says Made in Finland, both on the box and SIM tray stickers

The Following User Says Thank You to dubious_dog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New Zealand
Just adding a different voice here... I have a 64gb N9 from Expansys - shipped to NZ from Singapore, Chinese made unit. Been using for 5 days now with no real issues to speak of - One slowdown\freeze once on a swipe, but not easy to tell otherwise. It does sound interesting that one supplier would have a bad batch & not another... I would lean to this being wider than Handtec-supplied devices though & more likely software.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PhatApteryx For This Useful Post: