How did you "knife" the white frame off? I started doing it using a razor blade and even though I was going very slow, I think I may have cracked the LCD (I can see a crack behind the glass if I use a flashlight). Now I'm not sure how to proceed.

The Following User Says Thank You to jw461 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Argh! The word "knife" anywhere near the screen makes me shudder!

You need to unscrew the two screws inside the top, and then use the gap where the screw used to be next to the headphone port to put in a small screwdriver and lever the top-left corner of the screen out. The sim-slot-side screw levering is harder because there's nothing solid to lever against and you need to try to not damage the case (if you want to keep it).
Once enough of the top is away from the case, use a guitar plectrum or similarly solid small plastic thing to prise the screen away all the way round.
There's videos of this being done, linked to on this thread I think.

The Following User Says Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
Oh brother! This thread turned into a horror story.
I have removed the screen myself with no trouble at all. Just used my fingernail to completely lift the screen. I had to repaint the black edge of the screen on the back (The paint had peeled tiny bit on the edge, so it looked like it was cracked in a certain position). A permanent marker did the job perfectly.

Ah, the N9 could have been the best candidate ever for a weather-tight phone. Just add a sealing here and there and a few things designed a bit differently.
Anybody noticed how much dust these phones collect inside?

The Following User Says Thank You to taviman For This Useful Post:
Horror story indeed.........my display is trashed.

What I thought was adhesive residue was actually the digitizer/LCD/whatever cracking right under the glass. So if anyone wants a N9 for parts or to buy an LCD for it, it's up on ebay # 290742572967

Back to the ol' N900 for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to jw461 For This Useful Post:
I purchased an exacto knife from at art supply store, ran the screen + white frame under an extremely hot laptop vent for about 10 minutes, and slowly but surely exactoed the screen from the frame. Anytime it appeared to be hard to cut I would put the screen back under the laptop vent. Then, I attached the new screen purchased from ebay to the white frame with crazy glue also purchased from the art supply store. Like i said, everything worked fine (except for one minor spot in the screen not working, it still doesnt work but i'm afraid to re-open the phone).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to droosie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
Argh! The word "knife" anywhere near the screen makes me shudder!

You need to unscrew the two screws inside the top, and then use the gap where the screw used to be next to the headphone port to put in a small screwdriver and lever the top-left corner of the screen out. The sim-slot-side screw levering is harder because there's nothing solid to lever against and you need to try to not damage the case (if you want to keep it).
Once enough of the top is away from the case, use a guitar plectrum or similarly solid small plastic thing to prise the screen away all the way round.
There's videos of this being done, linked to on this thread I think.
I think you're referring to removing the screen + white frame from the housing. However, if your screen is cracked and you want to replace it, the only solution is to separate the existing screen from the white frame by knifing it off which is what I was describing before.

The Following User Says Thank You to droosie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
So nobody has managed to replace just the glass? ($20 on ebay, rather than the whole AMOLED & touchscreen assembly)

But I see now display assemblies for as little as $120 on ebay. Can anyone vouch for the quality of the displays from HK? I worry they are cheap LCDs, not original Amoled. Or worse, made for one of the Chinese N9 look-alikes, and completely incompatible with the real N9. The people doing the listings on ebay would not know.

This one is definitely fake: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160831321501
See the 3 buttons on the bottom of the screen? [shudder]

Last edited by myk; 2012-07-21 at 01:42.

The Following User Says Thank You to myk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
Has anyone bought a screen from either eBay user professorport or professorparts? They claim the N9 screens they sell are OEM yet when I sent them a message to confirm if it's the same screen used in Nokia Factories to build N9s they've yet to reply back to me. I assume they wouldn't lie plus they are US sellers, yet the fact that it is eBay can sometimes make me apprehensive.

The Following User Says Thank You to automagic68 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
Very possibly the people selling them on ebay don't really know anything about the product, aside from the short description from their supplier.

Unless somebody can confirm the quality of the ebay screens, I will put up with the cracks in mine.

The Following User Says Thank You to myk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
Originally Posted by automagic68 View Post
Has anyone bought a screen from either eBay user professorport or professorparts? They claim the N9 screens they sell are OEM yet when I sent them a message to confirm if it's the same screen used in Nokia Factories to build N9s they've yet to reply back to me. I assume they wouldn't lie plus they are US sellers, yet the fact that it is eBay can sometimes make me apprehensive.
I Purchased a screen from them, and it is Oem But they aren't based in the USA, that Chinese prick that runs that account is a liar. INeeded my screen quickly as I had a trip that I Was going on and I asked if he was based in the USA and he said sure. This ***** charges a premium but sends stuff from China to a Forwarding address in Florida and it takes forever to get your stuff. I'd take my business elsewhere.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZackMorris For This Useful Post: