Notices

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Beijing, China
Originally Posted by Dunsurfin View Post
pH5,

Thank you. That worked for me. For anyone else attempting to try the same thing here is what I did:

1: Installed rootsh (from extras http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/rootsh/)

2: In the Command Line, typed "sudo gainroot"

3: Navigated to /etc/tor/torrc

4: Copied torrc to my home directory

5: Edited torrc in my home directory with Leafpad (text editor)

6: Added theses 2 lines to end of the file:

ExitNodes server1, server2, server3
StrictExitNodes 1

7: Replaced server1, server2 and server 3 with UK exit nodes (found from http://proxy.org/tor.shtml)

8: Saved torrc

9: Copied torrc back to /etc/tor/torrc

Everything worked!

It would be nice if there was a way to edit the config file from the Tor Applet, but hopefully the exit nodes do not change too frequently.

Thanks again for your help.
hey hi,are you online now ? 'cause i wanna to make a tiny command tool to configure this tor stuff,but there's something i am not totally figured out yet(about configure),can you tell me something about it?

Originally Posted by mail_e36 View Post
Does anyone know if Tor can be used with browsers other than the built-in Browserd?

I would like to use Tor with FIrefox or Opera, but it appears Tor only works with the built-in browser (while Tor is on if you go a a page using Opera or Firefix you will be connected directly, not via Tor). Perhaps there are comoand line switches on Opera or Firefox which can be used to enable the browsing via the SOCKS connection, which is required for Tor? (it can probably be done via the about:config connection settings, but that is a major pain, a command-line switch would be a lot easier).

For example, if you use the text-based browser called Links installed on the N900 all you would do is type at the command line

Code:
"links www.whatismyip.org -socks-proxy 127.0.0.1:9050"
and you will browse via Tor (as long as it's enabled and connected).

Is there anything similar for Opera or Firefox?
I don't know about the command line but (as pH5 explained) I got it to work with Firefox (version 4.0b3) and Opera (Opera Mobile 10.1 beta) by editing "config" so all 3 browsers now are able to use Tor as a proxy

for Opera type in opera:config in the address bar and the preference editor should pop-up locate "Proxy" section
  • check-mark "Enable HTTP 1.1 for proxy"
  • check-mark "start with HTTP 1.1 for proxy"
  • HTTP Server --> "127.0.0.1:8118"
  • HTTPS Server --> "127.0.0.1:8118"
  • Scroll down
  • Check mark "Use HTTP" and "Use HTTPS"
  • Save and you should be ready to go

Note: I did something else as well In the "Developer Tools" section I enabled Proxy Auto connect and added Proxy Host 127.0.0.1 and Port 8118 I have no idea if this had any effect on the whole issue, I'm sure you might be able to cross off some of the steps from the list I posted here since I did this the first time and it worked so I didn't go back and try other options.

In Firefox you need to go the config section by typing about:config in the address bar then filter proxy.socks

change "network.proxy.socks_port --> 8118

this will do the trick for using tor and you can surf the web however there is an annoying DEBUG message from Tor which can be a pain that I could not figure out how to get rid of

the DEBUG message ---> [warn] Your application (using socks 4 to port 80) is giving Tor only an IP address. Applications that do DNS resolves themselves leak information. Consider using Soks4A (eg. via privoxy or socat.) instead. For more info...

I checked the about:config section although you are able to change the network.proxy.socks_version however it only takes a numerical attribute (1,2,3,4,5,...) so there is no way to add 4A also changing the network.proxy.socks to 4a or anything else doesn't seem to resolve the issue ...

Would appreciate some help on this

Last edited by Noujan; 2010-12-29 at 22:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to Noujan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
The most recent version of Tor Status Area Applet seems not to be working. Previous versions seemed to work splendidly for me. If I try to install this one I get a message saying it needs Tor 0.2.1.29 in Problems, in Application Manager.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ finland
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
The most recent version of Tor Status Area Applet seems not to be working. Previous versions seemed to work splendidly for me. If I try to install this one I get a message saying it needs Tor 0.2.1.29 in Problems, in Application Manager.
same here.. log says it depends on different version..

The Following User Says Thank You to thej80 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 101 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ United Arab Emirates
same here also, any solution?

The Following User Says Thank You to ayazpak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 375 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
libevent is broken for i386 in extras-devel, which makes the tor i386 build fail. The armel build works fine, so I just disabled the i386 build for now. So the application manager problem should be fixed now.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pH5 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pH5 View Post
libevent is broken for i386 in extras-devel, which makes the tor i386 build fail. The armel build works fine, so I just disabled the i386 build for now. So the application manager problem should be fixed now.
Thank you very much for this, all working fine and good to have an up to date tor package.

Originally Posted by gojira View Post
Thank you very much for this, all working fine and good to have an up to date tor package.
How you did that, can you explain in brief? Thanks in advance

At last I found a way to install.

Originally Posted by ayazpak View Post
How you did that, can you explain in brief? Thanks in advance
Nothing special other than installing it via Fast Application Manager.

Tags
"tor story"