Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Originally Posted by gta04 View Post
Latest idea we discuss in the team: add a second micro-USB socket and a FT232 converter within the Neo900. So you can access the console any time you like. With standard cables and no need to open the device. Even if you currently use the normal USB socket in OTG mode. And even use it to charge the battery in that case (no Y cable needed).

Of course, this is a quite new idea and circuitry needs to be reviewed.

-- hns
IIRC, lack of physical hole-for-a-port in N900's case was one of the arguments against some implementations of video-out. I guess that the additional microUSB wouldn't fit in any case holes that we have, so it would be for modders-use (or out-of-case), only?

Or I haven't got the "without opening the device" part - I can't imagine where 2nd microUSB port would go, in terms of N900's outer body.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
IIRC, lack of physical hole-for-a-port in N900's case was one of the arguments against some implementations of video-out. I guess that the additional microUSB wouldn't fit in any case holes that we have, so it would be for modders-use (or out-of-case), only?

Or I haven't got the "without opening the device" part - I can't imagine where 2nd microUSB port would go, in terms of N900's outer body.

/Estel
The idea is to place the receptacle into the spacer frame. 2.x mm height, sufficient for e.g. micro USB - maybe. The USB receptacle used on N900 needs a ~3.5mm height (incl PCB, ~3.0 without), so we need to find a "low profile" variant if we want to implement this. Or we request another tiny mod to the N900 case, like already needed for the micro-AB receptacle we use instead of the original.
/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-05-23 at 15:51.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
thunderbolt Port possible..?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-05-23 at 15:52. Reason: inappropriate

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
thunderbolt Port possible..?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_(interface)
Thunderbolt combines PCI Express (PCIe) and DisplayPort (DP) into one serial signal alongside a DC connection for electric power
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort feasibility been discussed in this very thread previously, please refer to those posts. Basicaly, we don't have the interface on SoC for that.

/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-05-23 at 16:14.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_(interface)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort feasibility been discussed in this very thread previously, please refer to those posts. Basicaly, we don't have the interface on SoC for that.

/j
Ok, I understand maybe in the future Neo900 ll then. But another micro-usb. do we need that? why not a laser penn or pointer?

http://www.amazon.com/iPin-iPhone-po.../dp/B00DBPF0NS

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-05-23 at 18:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
What is an ft232 converter ?

Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
What is an ft232 converter ?
The FT232R is the latest device to be added to FTDI’s range of USB UART interface Integrated Circuit Devices. The FT232R is a USB to serial UART interface with optional clock generator output, and the new FTDIChip-ID™ security dongle feature. In addition, asynchronous and synchronous bit bang interface modes are available. USB to serial designs using the FT232R have been further simplified by fully integrating the external EEPROM, clock circuit and USB resistors onto the device.

The FT232R adds two new functions compared with its predecessors, effectively making it a "3-in-1" chip for some application areas. The internally generated clock (6MHz, 12MHz, 24MHz, and 48MHz) can be brought out of the device and used to drive a microcontroller or external logic. A unique number (the FTDIChip-ID™) is burnt into the device during manufacture and is readable over USB, thus forming the basis of a security dongle which can be used to protect customer application software from being copied.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87mV-FyDChg

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Err whatever , i got it that the thing can do a lot i guess i have used a lot of ftdi devices and authenticating dongles. So can the thing actualy be used with a dongle (whatever hardware) to authenticate an app ? I mean i must use the hardware as the key or else its a no go.

The FT232 would be used to convert the console on "RS232" UART3 (testpoints under battery) to USB, as well as maybe control some digital signals (powerbutton for example, or boot sequence). The dongle feature is irrelevant here. For details please refer to the FT232 datasheet, which you easily can find via google.

/j

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
The idea is to place the receptacle into the spacer frame. 2.x mm height, sufficient for e.g. micro USB - maybe. The USB receptacle used on N900 needs a ~3.5mm height (incl PCB, ~3.0 without), so we need to find a "low profile" variant if we want to implement this. Or we request another tiny mod to the N900 case, like already needed for the micro-AB receptacle we use instead of the original.
/j
Very good idea, the spacer frame gives some nice area for custom mods. Even if making a little more space in N900's case for port would be required, it's still much easier for average person, than making a complete-new hole somewhere else.

Personally, I hope for some flat, generic port for VGA (for flat-flex cables) video output there. If space permits.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!