Originally Posted by segaen View Post
Is it me or the taxi driver has "XAND" on his shirt ?
says harold...

ha ! we'll be tweeted clues every day from monday on

The Following User Says Thank You to segaen For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Again this is marketing what Nokia should do is kick out MrFlop and CO and continue with Maemo+Qt .
Not gunna happen Elop's convinced in the brand power/loyalty that's already built-up around Android/iOS.
Mainly because a large % of users buy X no. of apps /yr, & subscribe to various services etc.
And he thinks WP's in a better position than Meego to do the same, despite having a tiny market-share now.

Originally Posted by BwackNinja View Post
and the radio transmitter/receiver which didn't get any love though hardware or software. Neither of these are dealbreakers for me
Actually hardware's there for RX, but apparently not for TX (no antenna that is)...
Some excellent points elsewhere, but have to disagree with you & mike on the following:

What bothers me a lot is the fact that far too many people are talking about Alien Dalvik as though its some kind of savior to the platform. Its not. In fact, it should never touch the device as anything more than an interesting tech demo. Nokia said that they didn't want to go with Android just to be "pissing their pants to keep warm." They have their own ecosystem around their devices, going Google would only hurt them. This phone already has a Maemo/Meego personality disorder, I don't want people to be calling it an Android phone just because it would be easier than explaining Alien Dalvik to them. This is the first Meego phone (read: Meego compatible). For better or worse, it will define the platform. If Nokia wanted to make a custom interface for Android, they could've and it would've taken them a lot less time to get it to the market. But there would be far less brand loyalty.
No time now, but later I'll argue why I think the good outweighs the bad, when it comes to integrating Alien.
It'd be a phased thing, that could ultimately be removed (if elgoog hasn't already blocked it by then), cept for the more "technically inclined" folks

I don't want the platform to be described as "just like Android" or worse, categorized as a flavor of Android.
That's not how Alien works, every Android app looks/feels just like a native app, & runs @native speed etc.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-07-16 at 05:54.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
That's not how Alien works, every Android app looks/feels just like a native app, & runs @native speed etc.
Isn't AD some kind of compiler for android based code?
In that case, given that devs would have to recompile targeting Harmattan, and most likely pay a licence fee to dalvik, the n9 would only have a fraction of the apps of the android store (a bit like the N900 has so many of the symbian Qt apps from the ovi store, that are also only a compile away)?

The Following User Says Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
here's some clues I cant decipher but maybe you guys can.
In the ballerina video when she swipes her leg pause it there is some jumbled up letters in bottom right corner of the wall what look like a signature.
in the next scene when she picks the N9 off the window ledge there is letters carved in the wooden ledge what are hard to see, letters in top Left look like BGR and theres a J in middle of screen with maybe other below.

Ag-a-doo-doo-doo, push pineapple, shake the tree
Aga-doo-doo-doo, push pineapple, grind coffee
To the left, to the right, jump up and down and to the knees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POv-3yIPSWc

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Actually hardware is there for RX, but apparently not for TX...
Some excellent points elsewhere, but have to disagree with you & mike on the following:
Sorry for being vague¸ but, I'm aware there is hardware for RX and actually TX, just TX doesn't have the required antenna(s) and RX requires headphones to be plugged in. What I meant by "...and the radio transmitter/receiver which didn't get any love though hardware or software." was that it seems like no one even tried to make either usable and just let them sit there, where adding in an antenna at least for TX wouldn't be any sort of technical marvel (at least I wouldn't expect it to be) but rather shows a place where they put no effort. I really got the impression that it was even just a fluke that RX worked at all.

No time now, but later I'll argue why I think the good outweighs the bad, when it comes to integrating Alien.
It'd be a phased thing, that could ultimately be removed... cept for the more "technically inclined" folks

I will at least agree that Alien Dalvik gives a great technical advantage and integration isn't an issue, however, the downsides I see are more political. The N9 will have failed as a MeeGo device even if a lot of people buy it and enjoy it when the APIs targetted by developers will continue to be the Android APIs and not the MeeGo APIs. In that case it would have succeeded as an Android-ish device, which would be a denial of its own true identity and wouldn't sever people's bonds with Android as a community and as a a set of installable applications. The spread of misinformation, including people wrongly equating the statement "it runs Android apps" to "it is Android device", whether by laziness or ignorance, will hurt the N9 and MeeGo as developing ecosystems separate from Android. That said, I'm looking forward to what you have to say on the matter.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
... and the N900 was just going in that wrong direction for me, too--I didn't want a phone, I wanted a pocket computer.
You know that the N900 runs fine without a sim card and is still more of a pocket computer than any other device out there?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
You know that the N900 runs fine without a sim card
For values of "fine" that include:
and is still more of a pocket computer than any other device out there?
Only if you ignore its ancestors.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
But this thread is not about the N900.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Or it's ancestors
But you just know it's gunna keep heading back to that place, sigh.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????