Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
We are pleased to provide the source code of various open source components used in webOS.
Should be clearer now.

Just wondering if webos was able on nokia n900 would it also be possible to get web os apps

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Should be clearer now.
I never said it was the complete OS but that list has quite a lot of components which together with the leaked ROM from the link earlier in the thread, may be possible to get a modded WebOS to work on N900.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Originally Posted by byte_76 View Post
I never said it was the complete OS but that list has quite a lot of components which together with the leaked ROM from the link earlier in the thread, may be possible to get a modded WebOS to work on N900.
I'm sure it is possible to get the base system of WebOS working on the tablets with the list of opensource packages provided by palm, but the more important and major issue is the fact that the mojo framework which drives most of WebOS's user interface is proprietary, meaning that the only way to actually use WebOS' UI or the applications provided is to either get special permission from palm, which i highly doubt would happen, or create an opensource mojo clone. I think the big issue right now is how to legally bypass palm's mojo framework.
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Last edited by b-man; 2010-04-18 at 20:15. Reason: typo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
I don't know the first thing about programming and wouldn't even know where to start but if I did, I would certainly be doing this myself.
However, I don't so, any developer out there who has just the slightest bit of interest in this, please give it a shot! I'm sure it will be interesting and certainly plenty of people would be grateful.

Plus, as far as I know you would be the first person to successfully port WebOS to different hardware.

Last edited by byte_76; 2010-04-24 at 16:13.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to byte_76 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 116 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ in states for now
lets dlo it

"Nice" bump.

See also this thread, where javispedro is making good progress running some Pre SDL games on Maemo :-)

I made a little bit progress, took the Meego RAW Image and the Latest WebOS Doctor image ( includes a rootfs image and uImage ).

Wrote the MeeGo image to a SD card and exchanged the rootfs files,
( but not the uImage on the fat partition, that wouldn't even start up ).

It boots a little bit but at a certain point the screen starts to falsh and halts.

Downside is without debugging tools I can't do very much from here. When the Pre3 comes out I will buy that, but in the meantime I wanted to have a usable Software on my n900.

The Following User Says Thank You to BigWookie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Well, considering the recent news, I think it's time to publish something I did long ago: running webOS 1 on the N900.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbYX0-5fddM

While usable, it was a bit on the slow side (webOS is 320x480x32 while the N900 is 800x480x16 so there was scaling and color conversion), and NDK apps didn't work. And the method I used will not work for more recent versions.

But still doable.

The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post: